Pouring and Curing Process

Love this forum and as Forrest said earlier when instructing us on his new wick setter gadget was designed; he had learned a lot here.  I have as well and I thank everyone for sharing their passion. 

A few questions:

• Do you heat your jars first. It may depend on the wax. I have to heat mine...so it seams to get the best adhesion. Which is not working lately.
  • Do you place the jar on a rack or something that has a solid surface? 
  • Do you cover your candles while curing? I place a box over mine. We pour ours in my detached garage with a descent level of temp control and no drafts

I am having a heck of time with my candles pulling away from the jar. I use Clarus 3022 and have been for a few years. The recent shrinkage has caused me to rethink my wax particularly after recently reading about the successes with 4630 and CBL 125. Starting testing this weekend. Thanks again for your feedback !!

On May 18, 2018 at 9:04 AM, coachtom said:

Love this forum and as Forrest said earlier when instructing us on his new wick setter gadget was designed; he had learned a lot here.  I have as well and I thank everyone for sharing their passion. 

A few questions:

• Do you heat your jars first. It may depend on the wax. I have to heat mine...so it seams to get the best adhesion. Which is not working lately.
  • Do you place the jar on a rack or something that has a solid surface? 
  • Do you cover your candles while curing? I place a box over mine. We pour ours in my detached garage with a descent level of temp control and no drafts

I am having a heck of time with my candles pulling away from the jar. I use Clarus 3022 and have been for a few years. The recent shrinkage has caused me to rethink my wax particularly after recently reading about the successes with 4630 and CBL 125. Starting testing this weekend. Thanks again for your feedback !!

Hey coachtom! As you know, I use the CBL 125, so I can't help much with your Clarus wax. But when I pour my wax, I definitely don't heat my containers. I get wet spots, but unless my wax is colored very brightly it's not that noticeable. I certainly don't care about them, and no one has ever said anything to me about them. 

I cool my candles on the counter. No rack. I don't cover them, but I do bunch them all together like sweet little baby chicks. Baby chicks that smell awesome. Sometimes I get little tunnels when the wax is done cooling, I just use the heat gun to fill them, they're never very big. It's pretty random, sometimes the ones in the middle get them, sometimes the edge one, sometimes none. Happens when the house is hot, cold, raining or sunny, so I don't worry too much about preventing it. I pour pretty hot, about 170ish, so maybe if I waited it might make a difference. If I made a ton of candles at once I might care more, but generally I only make a dozen or so at a time, so I don't get too worked up about running the heat gun over the tops.

@TallTayl had a brilliant thread with her usual detailed but easy to understand method of cooling and theories on what worked and why. Maybe do a forum search on "cooling process"? It was a very cool conversation that made me feel like a slacker for sure, lol.

• 4 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 6:58 PM, Sarah S said:

Hey coachtom! As you know, I use the CBL 125, so I can't help much with your Clarus wax. But when I pour my wax, I definitely don't heat my containers. I get wet spots, but unless my wax is colored very brightly it's not that noticeable. I certainly don't care about them, and no one has ever said anything to me about them. 

I cool my candles on the counter. No rack. I don't cover them, but I do bunch them all together like sweet little baby chicks. Baby chicks that smell awesome. Sometimes I get little tunnels when the wax is done cooling, I just use the heat gun to fill them, they're never very big. It's pretty random, sometimes the ones in the middle get them, sometimes the edge one, sometimes none. Happens when the house is hot, cold, raining or sunny, so I don't worry too much about preventing it. I pour pretty hot, about 170ish, so maybe if I waited it might make a difference. If I made a ton of candles at once I might care more, but generally I only make a dozen or so at a time, so I don't get too worked up about running the heat gun over the tops.

@TallTayl had a brilliant thread with her usual detailed but easy to understand method of cooling and theories on what worked and why. Maybe do a forum search on "cooling process"? It was a very cool conversation that made me feel like a slacker for sure, lol.

@TallTayl could you assist me in finding this post.  I've tried searching but have not come across anything.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:58 PM, Sarah S said:

Hi Sarah. I am curious, how long do you have to cure your CBL 125 candles?

On September 28, 2018 at 7:28 PM, jerry said:

Hi Sarah. I am curious, how long do you have to cure your CBL 125 candles?

A couple days. Parrafin doesn't really need the cure time that other waxes do. 

Realistically with my lifestyle, it might be a week before I get around to burning it... Just depends on how busy I am. I do think it benefits from siting for 24-48 to let the wax and fragrance cool and meld so to speak. 

• Thanks 1

1. Do you heat your jars first. It may depend on the wax. I have to heat mine...so it seams to get the best adhesion. Which is not working lately.

I’ve never had an adhesion problem with 6006, it sticks it everything, the jars, the counter tops, the floor, small appliances; it’s probably a good thing I don’t have a dog.

1. Do you place the jar on a rack or something that has a solid surface? 

I put mine on waxed paper, it keeps me out of trouble.

1. Do you cover your candles while curing? I place a box over mine. We pour ours in my detached garage with a descent level of temp control and no drafts

Once they have cooled I put the lids on them, but if they don’t have a lid I cover them.