More fragrance supply issues

Scented

Unless I missed this on here, below is a copy and paste of a Keystone Candle Supply post on FB. I'm not looking to cause a panic or a scare but I think we need to be aware of some issues that might make it difficult in the fragrance industry. On a side note, interesting what components are in that stuff we use to make things smell. 

I think what we can expect will be some price increases, some fragrances will be hard to come by and as companies continue to try to reformulate, testing will be extremely vital in all applications for us. 

More bad news folks....

We wrote to you in November 2017 informing you of a fire in the Citral production unit of BASF, a major
supplier to the fragrance industry. We have now been informed by BASF that initial Citral production has
commenced, however supply chain replenishment will take time as downstream products become
available in the coming months.
As you may have heard, two other major fires have recently struck the aroma chemical industry. The first
occurred in DRT’s plant in Roha, India on February 19th, 2018 affecting their Di-hydromyrcenol (DHM)
and Anthamber® (ISO-E Super) production lines. Fortunately, there were no injuries but their factory
suffered severe damage. On February 21st DRT declared Force Majeure on DHM, ISO-E Super and all
by-products. Factory repairs will take at least 12 months.
On April 26th, the other fire occurred at, the plant of Privi in Mohad, India, which destroyed large parts of
the factory manufacturing DHM, Beta Ionone, Terpenyl Acetate, Citronellyl Nitrile and a range of other
aroma chemicals. Again, fortunately, there were no injuries, but their factory suffered severe damage.
Privi invoked Force Majeure on May 7th
. DRT and Privi are market leaders for DHM and ISO-E Super,
and together represent a major share of the global capacity of these products.
These latest fires, which come on top of an already tight raw material supply situation, will result in major
disruptions across the fragrance industry. These events are completely unprecedented.

So I was looking at what some of these components are or impart: 
Di-hydromyrcenol  -- odor description --  fresh citrus lime floral clean weedy and has become a major part of men's colognes according to another article. 

Anthamber -- "smells Smooth, woody, amber with unique aspects giving a 'velvet' like sensation. Used to impart fullness and subtle strength to fragrances. Superb floralizer found in the majority of newer fine fragrances."  (Also ISO-E Super found in numerous woody fragrances and incense-focused fragrances and can be used in high content in some floral perfumes.)
Beta Ionone -- floral woody sweet fruity berry tropical
Terpenyl Acetate -- has a herbal type odor and woody type flavor.

Citronellyl Nitrile --  fresh lemon metallic citrus waxy floral

Curious what Force Majeure means? unforseeable circumstances. 

Edited by Scented

I received the notification from another company as well with the same tone.  It's time to stock up on my most popular scents and then wait it out until things get back to normal.  Sounds like it's going to be rough for awhile.

Wow- I had heard of more fires and that’s concerning enough....3 fires all directly related to fragrance component companies in a short time frame - never heard of this happening before.....why now

And it’s kinda weird some suppliers have been “reformulating” many of their fragrances before the fires took place- just sounds weird to me 

At least I can take comfort now rather than beat myself up over money spent that I have enough fragrance to last A couple of years even if they are not my favorites or best sellers- at least I have some 

• Like 1

@moonshine, I like the way you think.  In hindsight, I have been wise to buy so much fragrance oil.  I'm going to keep reminding myself of that while I put them all back on the shelves today.  ( mentioned in another post that I got new vinyl in the kitchen yesterday and had to pack up all my fragrance oil in boxes and boxes and a large sterlite container double stacked and a laundry basket.  Good grief, I have a lot of FO)

Yes thank goodness most of us are fo ho's and have quite the stash.  I'm just worried about a few of my good sellers that I'm getting down to 8 oz, hopefully I can incorporate some new fragrances in the meantime and they won't be missed so much.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Yes thank goodness most of us are fo ho's and have quite the stash.  I'm just worried about a few of my good sellers that I'm getting down to 8 oz, hopefully I can incorporate some new fragrances in the meantime and they won't be missed so much.

I used to worry about that too. But what I discovered is when I sold out of the old favorites all of a sudden the other fragrances became  favorites. One or two scents cannibalize from many others. In the end more items sold...

• Like 1

Geez, I've got boxes of FOs I could use up. Been working on using them up for years but they just keep growing in number!

It's bad enough seeing FO suppliers we've all used for years go OOB without having to now deal with the fragrance industry wide shortages on components.

I like to hope this may be a blessing in disquise. Hopefully these factories look for ways to institute better safety measures and practices against fire hazards.

All these fires in such a short amount of time smacks of arsen. Since there is no mention of it it is one hell of a coincidence.

4 hours ago, moonshine said:

Wow- I had heard of more fires and that’s concerning enough....3 fires all directly related to fragrance component companies in a short time frame - never heard of this happening before.....why now

And it’s kinda weird some suppliers have been “reformulating” many of their fragrances before the fires took place- just sounds weird to me 

At least I can take comfort now rather than beat myself up over money spent that I have enough fragrance to last A couple of years even if they are not my favorites or best sellers- at least I have some 

I think the reformulation was probably to either get a fragrance to be more realistic because something wasn't moving or to reduce costs because materials were getting high. There might be a global impact on need in the aromatic fields that's similar to the farming. I don't know. Like patchouli took a hit many years ago and prices soared and never really came down to what they used to be after there was a shortage. Sandalwood became harder to get at one point etc. 

Not knowing completely how something is made is hard to say if it's a material shortage as well as now a stock shortage or what elements are impacting India. 

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Yeah one of our combinations hasn't been out for a while because I can't get one of the fragrances for and it's disappointing but it doesn't keep us from finding niches for other scents. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Testing123 said:

things really suck for us newbies starting out. bad wax, limited Fo :(

Not really. Again the post wasn't meant to scare anyone. I don't know anyone who started out with perfection and fragrances have been changed plenty of times. It wasn't really all that long ago that companies started removing phthalates and that meant we had to test. There are always shortages or changes etc. Just stay focused on your products and you'll be fine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Testing123 said:

things really suck for us newbies starting out. bad wax, limited Fo :(

The good news is, if you've never used that fragrance before, you'd need to test it anyway. Same with the wax.

It's just going to be a PITA if/when the companies go back to the "old" formulation.

I am a little nervous about shortages though. Should I be ordering my fall and Christmas fragrances now? 😰  I'm low on a couple of favorites from last season. It won't be Christmas without Christmas Splendour!😭

45 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

The good news is, if you've never used that fragrance before, you'd need to test it anyway. Same with the wax.

It's just going to be a PITA if/when the companies go back to the "old" formulation.

I am a little nervous about shortages though. Should I be ordering my fall and Christmas fragrances now? 😰  I'm low on a couple of favorites from last season. It won't be Christmas without Christmas Splendour!😭

If it was me and i knew i needed fragrances for the fall and winter, i would go ahead and pick them up before any potential shortages could really effect me.  I dont have to worry so much about that as i am a newbie candle hobbyist.

Edited by ncraiders

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Hear you! So we splurged for back ups in as much as we could do and fortunately we have enough to get through to the end of the year in most things, I think.

It's one of those things though where I wish suppliers would come out and just say we're going to be or we're not going to be impacted. None of us want a sticker shock when the busy time rolls in. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 8:51 AM, kandlekrazy said:

fo ho's.............that's classic:rockon:  I'm a fo ho fo sho!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just got an email from Camden. Their eucalyptus EO and menthol crystals will be back in stock by the end of the month according to their manufacture. But they also said the price will be more than double.

I think that this may be the trend for a lot of FOs and EOs in the coming months. I expect we will start seeing prices soar, even double, or simply be OOS for months to come.

I know as soon as I have enough cashola to stock up on more EOs I am going to do that.

17 hours ago, Candybee said:

Just got an email from Camden. Their eucalyptus EO and menthol crystals will be back in stock by the end of the month according to their manufacture. But they also said the price will be more than double.

I think that this may be the trend for a lot of FOs and EOs in the coming months. I expect we will start seeing prices soar, even double, or simply be OOS for months to come.

I know as soon as I have enough cashola to stock up on more EOs I am going to do that.

Wow, now I'm happy I bought a full # of eucalyptus with my last EO order.  As it is, some are off the charts in price but double may just put me out of the EO business.

53 minutes ago, Scented said:

Eucalyptus was one of the more affordable wasn't it? The menthol crystals I wish weren't going to be affected. I wonder just how widely this will affect products beyond fragrances. 

Yes. Eucalyptus Globulus is the more common inexpensive one and THAT is the one they were emailing about! Hard to imagine the price doubling overnight like that! Gadz!!

I use both the globulus and the radiata in my formulations so I need to have both. Don't know yet if it will effect the radiata... hoping not.