Donkey's Milk M& P Base

runner14jc

CS is offering a new melt and pour soap base Donkey's Milk. Wondering if anyone has tried it yet and had any opinions on it? I usually use the Triple Butter base and sometimes some clear but was considering giving this one a try....

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Oh man, I have a hard enough time with goats milk, I don't even want to think about donkey and camel! 😶

I hear ya on that! I'm sure they both make excellent soap. Any milk in soap makes gives it nice creamy lather. But I can't see saying my soap is made with donkey milk as being a good selling point!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

runner14jc-- I'd say go for it if you want to try it. What we are pointing out is to some customers there could be a possible "ick" factor with the use of donkey milk.

RE camels milk I remember reading about it a few years back and the feedback was so good I was looking to buy camel's milk to try out in my soapmaking. Problem is it was just too problematic in finding a good reliable source and besides it was not cost effective as camel's milk here in the US is pricey.

• Like 1

I have never tried soap with milk but i wouldn't be against trying it.  I have only even bought soap from my local walmart.  Since i live in a small town here is not much in the way of handmade soaps being sold.  I only see it being sold when i have to go with my dad to a gun show.

Edited by ncraiders

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but you can get that with any milk! Goat milk, cows milk, coconut milk, powdered milk, condensed milk, almond milk, buttermilk, hemp milk, etc. Any milk gives soap rich creamy luxurious lather that can be very moisturizing. Believe me I know because I've tried all of them but the ones I like the best are coconut and goat milks.

I use coconut milk for the majority of my soaps and also have a line of goat milk soap too. I only have one line of soap that does not have milk in it.

I want to use heavy cream but for practical reasons am using coconut and goat. The coconut goes pairs well with all veggie soaps and both are cost effective for me. I love heavy cream but its kind of pricey and I can still get a nice creamy lather and texture with the coconut and goat.

I might have to take another look into it though as goat milk is pretty pricey too. Since both heavy cream and goat milks are both animal products I could switch one for the other. Will have to run the numbers on my spreadsheet. Good idea Sarah!

On 5/21/2018 at 3:38 PM, Sarah S said:

Have you tried heavy cream in your soaps? Whoa baby, that's the good stuff!! So decadent!

• Like 1

My local grocery store will discount dairy products when they get close to their expiration date. I buy my soaping milks when they're cheap, and freeze them.

I know what you mean about coconut milk, I think it adds some extra oomph to the veggie soaps!

• Like 1

I went into Grocery Outlet on Sunday and was shocked to see Donkey's Milk Soap, Camel's Milk Soap and 1 other odd one that I can't remember now.  They also had goat's milk which s fairly common now.  They were $2.99 a bar so I'm going to try some when I go back.  I so wanted to take a pic to post here but my phone took a poop and I can't view pics anymore or post them, really putting a dent in my store's IG & Facebook accounts.  I will snap pics when I go back, new phone should arrive today.

• 2 years later...

I have used donkey milk in my melt and pour quite a bit.  I love the finished product, but I seem to be having trouble getting it melted properly.  It tends to go from unmelted right to thick goo, like melted marshmallows.  The liquid stage you need for pouring and layering is hard to come by.  I've tried microwave, crock pot, water bath - same issues.  Has anyone else had this problem?