Almost all the books on candle making that I've read so far, have started out with lots of valuable information. Unfortunately, only the first third to one half of any of these books is technical information. The biggest parts are mostly recipes and things like "having fun with candles, etc."  Can anyone out there recommend a book that might get more into the technical side?  Is there a book out there that is considered the "bible" of the candle making hobby or industry?

• Quentin changed the title to Books On Candlemaking or Candle Making

Have you tried "The Everything Candlemaking Book"? 

I have a ton of books in my craft library, but most are like you said, how to's and recipe's. I also have the one I mentioned, however, it's been about 12 years since I looked at it, and can't remember how technical it is. I'm sure by now they have current editions of the book though too... 

• Like 1

I haven't found a great many books that are all around great resources. While I am generally, an avid book reader for candle making and even soap making, my best resources have come from online. Would love to hear what your favorites are though!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, runner14jc said:

I haven't found a great many books that are all around great resources. While I am generally, an avid book reader for candle making and even soap making, my best resources have come from online. Would love to hear what your favorites are though!

I don't believe I could pick a favorite from the books I've read so far. Like I said, most of the ones available at Amazon and other online stores start out pretty good, but end up being little more than cookbooks and "creative idea" suggestions. No meat. Just potatos.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:35 AM, Jcandleattic said:

I have a ton of books in my craft library, but most are like you said, how to's and recipe's. I also have the one I mentioned, however, it's been about 12 years since I looked at it, and can't remember how technical it is. I'm sure by now they have current editions of the book though too... 

Yes, I have that one. It does seem to be the best I've found so far.

I just had a thought. The American Candle Association has technical papers and maybe some books on their website.  I think I'll check it out and let y'all know what I found.

48 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I just had a thought. The American Candle Association has technical papers and maybe some books on their website.  I think I'll check it out and let y'all know what I found.

Also check out the NCA website will have stuff, and I believe maybe the IGCA might have something (but maybe not, since it's really just a club) 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Also check out the NCA website will have stuff, and I believe maybe the IGCA might have something (but maybe not, since it's really just a club) 

National Candle Association. That must have been what I was thinking about. I'll check out those others too. Thanks.

Quentin I think the bulk of the books, like at least 99.9% are a combination of the general stuff to know combined with some history and then recipes and techniques. There were some books that were mostly decorating with candles that were a waste of money. 

Just how technical and deeper do you want to go? 
My favorite books are: Candle Making a step by step guide from beginner to expert by Bob Sherman (This was a 2002 copyright)

The Encyclopedia of Candlemaking Techniques

Cut & Carve Candles

All of those books are obviously outdated from the variety of waxes and changes in the industry, but I was more about finding techniques. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hey @Quentin. These are 2 books that I have and like. I read them in the beginning of my candle hobby adventure. I have not looked at them in a while and maybe I should. I can look at them now with experience under my belt and see things differently.

https://www.amazon.com/Candle-Crafting-Science-William-Nussle/dp/0498078639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550944500&sr=8-1&keywords=book+candle+crafting+nussle+barnes

https://www.amazon.com/Candlemakers-Companion-Complete-Rolling-Decorating/dp/1580173667/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550944710&sr=8-1&keywords=book+the+candlemaker's+companion

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

These are 2 books that I have and like.

Yes!!! I have the second one you listed. The first one appears to be what I'm looking for right now. I followed your link to the book by William Nustle. I ordered a used copy. These old out-of-print books probably have lots of technical information. I hope it has lots of scientific words I don't understand so I can ask @Forrest what it means!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Yes!!! I have the second one you listed. The first one appears to be what I'm looking for right now. I followed your link to the book by William Nustle. I ordered a used copy. These old out-of-print books probably have lots of technical information. I hope it has lots of scientific words I don't understand so I can ask @Forrest what it means!

And when you do I'll have to PM TT to get the answer. I just want a book on the chemistry of candle making, if I just knew what all those molecules were doing I could figure this thing out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I just want a book on the chemistry of candle making, if I just knew what all those molecules were doing I could figure this thing out.

That's what I'm looking for too. I like stuff that's over my head. 

• Haha 2

Hmm. I don't know for sure if I have that one. I'll look. If you recommend it, I'll order it.

• Like 1

I do have that one. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 5:44 PM, Laura C said:

LOL, @Forrest and @Quentin there is sci-ency stuff to read here http://candles.org/candle-science/  :read:

And I like the engineerguy on YouTube, he has several videos about candles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrHnLXMTOWM

The link you gave to the NCA does indeed have some really good stuff. Thanks.

• Like 1