I'm taking a poll on everyone who makes candles what wax they use.

@Trappeur, you had me laughing!

It really is a great wax, and I like that Candlewic blends it in house, so it's a very consistent product.

It does double-duty for me as well, I mix it with pillar wax for tarts.

My understanding is that they start with IGI 4630 and custom blend it to their specifications.

I feel like a commercial, lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

4630 for everything that gets sold.  I play around with a bunch of other waxes too, but for me, 4630 is king.

What wicks do you use BF if you don't mind me asking??? 

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

I too, like Sarah S. use Candlewic's CBL 125 for candles.  I prefer zinc wicks with this wax.

It is VERY consistent since they blend it in house like Sarah said.  

I am fortunate enough to be able to drive to their warehouse when I need to purchase it. 

Side note I use their CBL 141 for tarts....excellent, long lasting throw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

What wicks do you use BF if you don't mind me asking??? 

Trappeur

Currently, I'm using zinc.  I used to use HTP, but I actually found out by happy accident that the zinc works better (for me) and that's all I've used for several months now.  

@Trappeur

this 8 oz tin is 4630 with a paper wick 44-24-18 from candles and supplies.net

scent is my dragons blood 6%

one drop of liquid red color.

pictured is a couple of hours into the 4th burn. Yesterday I let it burn for 8 hours without needing to do one bit of maintenance on it. I really wish I had just started with this wax a decade ago. It is so easy all the way around. 

62175875-8F96-4AA9-A4BB-4058584B0271.jpeg

• Like 3

I've only ever used GB 464 - I switched containers and wicks about the time folks started seeing an issue with that wax but I was already re-testing with the new wicks and containers so it wasn't an issue for me. 

Started with ECO wicks and moved on to CD and I'm still using those.

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

@Trappeur

this 8 oz tin is 4630 with a paper wick 44-24-18 from candles and supplies.net

scent is my dragons blood 6%

one drop of liquid red color.

pictured is a couple of hours into the 4th burn. Yesterday I let it burn for 8 hours without needing to do one bit of maintenance on it. I really wish I had just started with this wax a decade ago. It is so easy all the way around. 

62175875-8F96-4AA9-A4BB-4058584B0271.jpeg

I just ordered a 10 lb sample of 4630.  My plan is to blend it with my C3 and see how that works out.  I'm hoping its benefits transfer over to the C3 and make it more stable with enhanced HT.  

@Paintguru C3 with 2% Universal Soy Additive pretty much solved any cosmetic issues I was having with C3. You'll  possibly need a wick up, but that's a good thing to get that HT!

4630 is "OK" with C3, but does not hand over the magic key to perfection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

@Paintguru C3 with 2% Universal Soy Additive pretty much solved any cosmetic issues I was having with C3. You'll  possibly need a wick up, but that's a good thing to get that HT!

4630 is "OK" with C3, but does not hand over the magic key to perfection.

Understood.  I actually have had reasonable luck with C3 thus far, but I wanted to see if the blend improved anything.  May end up switching to 100% 4630 if it blows me away on its own.  

What I have found blending soy waxes with various other things like paraffins and coconut is it goes from decent during a burn, to sludge, to totally liquid in the blink of an eye. It's rather annoying.

• Like 1

Ok..............let me pose another question at you all.....

Ok, so I'm hearing that 4630 is a great wax that people love on it's own.  So if it is that wonderful why are you all trying to blend it with soy since 4630 stands on it's own?  Is it a thing that you all are doing because we all live in a "soy" world and that is supposedly "THE" wax because it is supposed to be better in this "GREEN" world we live in?   See, I would think if it is such a wonderful thrower "why try and fix something that ain't broke"?  You know right off the bat that supposedly the hot throw on a soy candle is no comparison to a candle in Paraffin.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  I would think adding soy to 4630 is going to diminish the excellent throw of this paraffin candle to something of a lesser throw.  That's what I think.  Right?  So why jeopardize a great candle to begin with?   I'm  trying to understand the logistics of why everyone wants to blend when they don't have to?????KWIM???

Trappeur

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Ok, so I'm hearing that 4630 is a great wax that people love on it's own.  So if it is that wonderful why are you all trying to blend it with soy since 4630 stands on it's own?  Is it a thing that you all are doing because we all live in a "soy" world and that is supposedly "THE" wax because it is supposed to be better in this "GREEN" world we live in?   See, I would think if it is such a wonderful thrower "why try and fix something that ain't broke"?  You know right off the bat that supposedly the hot throw on a soy candle is no comparison to a candle in Paraffin.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  I would think adding soy to 4630 is going to diminish the excellent throw of this paraffin candle to something of a lesser throw.  That's what I think.  Right?  So why jeopardize a great candle to begin with?   I'm  trying to understand the logistics of why everyone wants to blend when they don't have to?????KWIM???

Trappeur

Totally understand.  Just in my case as a not-yet-seller, I have C3 hanging around and just want to experiment.  I'll likely try it blended and unblended and see which one I like better.  

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Absolutely agree with your point Trapp.I have only used 4630 alone & got very good results, with what very little experience I have had. If the day ever comes for me to actually start selling candles , personally I would only use 4630 without adding any other wax to it .Lol I have a long road to go as far as testing scents containers ,fragrance,wicks etc....I have no desire to add any other wax to the 4630 for candles .I do blend this wax for melts with pillar ,however that is a totally different product .I do get your point about blending .The 4630 wax performs so well alone imo. I look forward to others response to your question.

I only blended it for the sole purpose of trying to use up all this soy I have laying around that doesn’t work by itself  - it works okay but yes the throw is better alone 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Great point!

I blend a tiny tiny bit of soy, just 10%, because I really like the glossy and creamy look of parasoys. So I'm trying to use the smallest amount of soy possible to achieve the look I'm after, without compromising the performance of the CBL 125. 

For me, it's an aesthetic thing. Admittedly, I don't sell tons of candles, but I have never had anyone ask what my wax was. Wait, no, one time a lady did ask because she wanted to make sure it wasn't soy. 😂

• Like 1

Well, I'm liking what I read on these posts so far and am going to give it a shot the 4630.  Then I'm liking the 125 people use.  But for the sheer purpose to order 4630 from Flaming, that would be my best bet.  

If I order 4630 from Flaming (60 pounds) at 100.49 plus  shipping of  27.62 would be 128.11

If I order 125 from Candlewick (51pounds) at 81.30 plus 50.67 (wow! shipping is terrible) it would be 131.97

So actually they are both the same price....I would just gain 9 more pounds from Flaming....

So the better buy is 4630 from Flaming...

But I'm stil thinking of a palm wax the possibility...

I'm going to try a palm....well it sure is different and beautiful, that I must say....

I just want something different that I don't have to fight with, and I'm just not into blending.....

Watching everyone here posting of different blends they do and all the FRUSTRATION I see here is like wow!... and I'm just not going there....lol

I was really curious about the whys too of blending a great wax with a soy and appreciate all of everyone's opinions.  I thought I was going to hear more of like they blend a soy with a paraffin because of the call for it and just so they could call their candle a soy blend with out getting flack from customers saying they don't want a paraffin but soy because it is the thing in this green world.  That's what I thought and not anyone has said anything to this effect.  So that's good.

Trappeur

• Like 2

Trappeur, if I were going for a paraffin wax I would go with IGI's 4633. It used to be the J233 wax. When I used to make paraffin candles I only used the J waxes. They had a super hot and cold throw that starts instantaneously when you light it. Cons are the expense, prone to wet spots (but this is a typical trait of paraffin anyway), and may need second pour for extra large containers.

But its definitely worth it as the scent throw always blew me away. This was the wax I hated to give up but had to because everyone wanted soy candles at the time.  For the longest time I mourned the loss of this wax until I found palm. Palm throws strong like it too.

lol, lol.....oh geezum crow..now I gotta go and check out 4633? lol, lol.  I love you all here....I swear!

Ok, I'll go and check it out...what I do like in what you said was "INSTANTANEOUSLY"...YEAH, now thats a big turn on...ok, oh heck I might as well get a sample...

Ok, don't anyone tell me about another wax....My brain can only absorb so much and handle so much...

Thanks for a heads up!

Trappeur:biggrin:

16 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Well, I'm liking what I read on these posts so far and am going to give it a shot the 4630.  Then I'm liking the 125 people use.  But for the sheer purpose to order 4630 from Flaming, that would be my best bet.  

If I order 4630 from Flaming (60 pounds) at 100.49 plus  shipping of  27.62 would be 128.11

If I order 125 from Candlewick (51pounds) at 81.30 plus 50.67 (wow! shipping is terrible) it would be 131.97

So actually they are both the same price....I would just gain 9 more pounds from Flaming....

I'm going to try a palm....well it sure is different and beautiful, that I must say....

I just want something different that I don't have to fight with, and I'm just not into blending.....

Watching everyone here posting of different blends they do and all the FRUSTRATION I see here is like wow!... and I'm just not going there....lol

I was really curious about the whys too of blending a great wax with a soy and appreciate all of everyone's opinions.  I thought I was going to hear more of like they blend a soy with a paraffin because of the call for it and just so they could call their candle a soy blend with out getting flack from customers saying they don't want a paraffin but soy because it is the thing in this green world.  That's what I thought and not anyone has said anything to this effect.  So that's good.

Trappeur

If your going to go with 4630 and want to try palm I suggest you get the palm from candles and supplies and get some paper core wicks to try with the 4630- they seem to have the best selection of papers, I by no means have much experience with 4630 but I did like the paper wicks with it So it’s worth trying as they have sample packs available 

39 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

The shpping price is crazy.  I get my C3 from Candlewic because they have a price that includes shipping and it's cheaper than getting from my supplier that's 3.5 hours away. If I put in my cart at Candlewic with just the regular price and add shipping it's way higher, so look and see if they have the "includes shipping" option on that wax, it saves me like $30 a case.

• Like 1

The J waxes all changed too @Candybee. I started with j233 about a decade ago. Then IGI bought them and it changed. It’s not available many places, so when there’s a stockout it hurts. 

@Trappeur if it were me, I’d stick with only giving one popular and easily available wax a go.

as you mention pricing, maybe that is why more chandlers go with soy. Soy is cheap as chips to buy, but expensive as heck to learn and make a decent, acceptable candle to sell. I have several 6 gallon pails full of chunked out crappy failed soy to dispose of. That’s a lot of wasted $. 

Paraffin, though measured in 60 lb cases versus 45-50, is still more spendy per lb up front. In the long run paraffin saves $ during the much shorter learning curve and lower fo loads for so many people. Paraffin is less dense than soy, so less fits in the same container, making the cost per candle a little less.  Those who need 12% fo in soy just to get a wee bit of throw can dial back by half saving a ton of $ ending with a much more potent scented candle. 

Bottom line, I think the soy defense is because of the perceived financial bottom line.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I just ordered a ton of wick samplers to see what works for the 4630 (HTP, CD, Premier 700, already have Eco).  I'll keep you updated with my results (even though I'm sure results already exist from other folks).  

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

I resorted to j233 and later 4630 to improve the look and burn of soy waxes. With soy being so polymorphic, The container paraffins helped to tame some of the horrible frosting, improved color and color retention, lessened the cauliflower tops and when the wax was overhydrogenated, kept wicking similar. At a usage rate of 10-20% the cost difference still made business sense.

• Thanks 1