Coconut 83 wax 1st burn

Alona

So I made two sets of candles.  I have coconut83 wax from California candle supply.  Eco series wick and fragrance from candlescience.  The first photo includes 6oz candles with a fragrance of 6% coconut lime/ Himalayan bamboo.  The candle on the left is eco 14.  The candle on the right is eco 12. Those flames are high!

The second photo includes 6oz candles naked. The left candle is eco 14. The candle on the right is eco 12.

152513181947241366026.jpg

1525132412758185698683.jpg

• Like 1

This wick i am sure this wick series wont work. Cant smell a thing and there is a thin line of black smoke flowing from the flames.  Should i try the lx series or htp?

The wick sizes are much too big. Those series should work fine, just bump down down down a good bit. 

In that size container an eco 4 is about as big as I go. Cd6 is where I’d start on the other.

coconut wax is entirely different from every other wax available. It’s closest to 4630 paraffin. 

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The wick sizes are much too big. Those series should work fine, just bump down down down a good bit. 

In that size container an eco 4 is about as big as I go. Cd6 is where I’d start on the other.

coconut wax is entirely different from every other wax available. It’s closest to 4630 paraffin. 

Wow that wick guide is tricky. Ok i will put these out and remove the wicks and insert a eco 2 and a 4. I spooned the melted wax into one of my rose candy molds lol.  Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi @Alona I too have been making candles with Coconut 83. I have used the wax straight with 10% scent in a 3" container and have had really good results with Performa, Permier 700 series and HTP wicks. I believe those are all cotton/paper flat braid wicks. My only real issue is hit or miss with strong Cold and Hot scent throw, no matter what I do. Different scents, different scent percentages, lower or higher temps, etc. Those same scents are strong in another wax.

What have you experienced? Would love to hear it.

• 10 months later...

Laura C. Out of all the coconut waxes you have tried, which has had the best results for you straight out of the box or blended with other waxes? And how was the appearance, any frosting?  I saw someone at a farmers market the other day near me that had coconut candles with wood wicks for sale. Cold throw on their wax was not good and their tops were actually frosty like Soy. Didn't ask what they used, but would like to stay away from that.

4 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

Laura C. Out of all the coconut waxes you have tried, which has had the best results for you straight out of the box or blended with other waxes? And how was the appearance, any frosting?  I saw someone at a farmers market the other day near me that had coconut candles with wood wicks for sale. Cold throw on their wax was not good and their tops were actually frosty like Soy. Didn't ask what they used, but would like to stay away from that.

Hi @CaptnKush. I don't think I have made any candles since August 2018, I got exhausted with wick testing, etc. LOL. I believe the only two coconut wax blends that I have used are Coconut 83 and Ultra Coconut. I was using the waxes straight out of the box and I may have done some testing with Universal Soy Wax Additive and maybe Vybar but I don't remember, anyway, nothing I could settle on. Just off the top of my head I was doing pretty good with Coconut 83 and Ultra Coconut wax but wasn't completely impressed, more experiments would be needed which I have not done yet. I do remember the Ultra wax was very soft for container candles were almost mush so they would need a hardener or a paraffin wax added to firm them up but the wax had good C&H throw. I was testing with Performa, Permier 700 series and HTP wicks with pretty good results. Sorry, I'm not much help. 😕

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

I'll also add, do some searches on here for "coconut wax", "coconut 83", "C83", "ultra wax", "ultra coconut wax", "easybeads wax", "easy beads wax", etc. I know I have made posts and/or commented on posts about these waxes. The way waxes are Or were changing, who knows what's still relevant info for the waxes of today? This drives me insane, LOL. But, maybe waxes have stabilized now, I've not really been involved lately. 

• Like 1

Im finding that the coconut 83 needs a bigger jar. My 8 oz straight side is just to narrow and causes a fast melt pool with every wick I have tried. HTP, LX, and CD. Got some ecos on the way to try them but yah I think wider top jar might be the difference I need. Its very similar to the 6046 just not as white. And wow!!!!! those are some torches up there Alona. Keep posting your results after the wick change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:13 AM, Dirt Roads said:

Do you find the coconut wax gives better CT & HT?

As compared to which wax? For me I have been testing out igi 6046 and liked it a lot until I got into testing the Coconut 83. Both have good ct and ht but the 83 has a more real smelling cold throw, probably because of the soy and palm wax in it.   My test fragrance was Pumpkin Souffle. For a 3" jar I recommend adding 5% beeswax and use an eco 6 wick and pour at 185-190. Without the beeswax the Eco 4 would work better. Eco is my new best friend, I don't know why I haven't gotten these sooner, seems like TallTayl is always recommending them. I am not getting any mushroom from it, and I am smelling the candle in the next room really strong, and this is after a 3 day cure. Can't wait to try after a long cure. Gonna get the beads as soon as calcandlesupply gets it in next week because I don't like the mess of pulling it out of the bag and cutting it, plus its easier to measure. Hope that helps.

Edited by CaptnKush
  • Like 2