What is a high end wax?

I can't find the thread but someone said that with all the things going wrong with all these soy waxes and with so much testings of new waxes that I'm seeing that they are going to try high end waxes.  And then I see that there is a price hike coming into effect on soy waxes??? I believe it was Tall Tayle who said she would rather go with a higher end wax than futz around with all these problem waxes of soy.  My question is "what is a high end wax?"....Does a high end wax offer so much good all the way around and you don't incur problems like what is going on now?  And what brands of "High end" wax are you talking about?

Trappeur

• Like 4

I would love to know as well I have been fighting with soy for 7 years now I went into a new gift shop in town the other day and was smelling candles, I wanted to support the shop so bought one,  the shopowner was excited about the line and they smelled awesome so I asked if they were soy she said no however, any candle properly wicked and properly trimmed will burn clean, so I paid 8 bucks for a little two oz travel container.......I went home and burned it , it lasted for two days........within fifteen minutes of lighting it smelled my whole house I could walk in the front door and smell it burning from master bedroom, it burned perfectly clean no soot and it was just plain ole parrafin marketed really nice brand was Aquessie very high end luxury candle but just parrafin and fragrance oil was extremely fragrant and clean burning.........anyway why why why do I fight the soy fight......is it because it was easier for the smaller chandlers to claim artisan soy and stand out ?

SHerry

• Like 1

Trap - I think you're remembering a rant I wrote about soy in another thread.  like others here, I've smelled and burned some fantastic paraffin candles. McCalls worst candle is better than most of the "best marketed" soy candles I've burned.

Cargill has some nice blends that contain Palm and other vegetal waxes that exceed "pure" soy in every way shape and form. Elite200 comes to mind. A small 4 oz tin made by Dorothy M. in a swap late last year blew me away with quality of appearance, cold and especially hot throw.

Clarus waxes are more manufacturing friendly and consistent than any GB/AKO soy has been in years.

Palm waxes are pricier, yet so darned consistent you can set your Swiss watches by them.

A few coconut waxes stand head and shoulders above soy in glass jars. Those are some of my very favorite to burn. The scent is pure, unlike the fryolator base note in most soy. Those other waxes have more fragrance hits than misses, the complete inverse of soy.

common denominators in all of those listed above:

a) the retail price is about 25%-in some cases 50% higher  than the common popular soy brands.

b) sellers of soy products have effectively bad mouthed the others so much that people are brainwashed into thinking soy is the only "good" wax. that tide is turning, though. I can see it on the store shelves, on instagram and in person. People in search of a candle to feel good about burning are giving coconut and other vegetals a good hard look, and are willing to pay a bit more for a candle that looks, burns and smells pretty from beginning to end. No more excuses for cauliflower top, etc.

The only reason I've stuck with soy this long is the relatively inexpensive price for the wax compared to others. When I finally kick soy to the curb I'll need to raise prices. In the end it will be more than worth it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Hmm, this is an interesting topic.  I've just started with all my testing of C3, and have had what I consider to be good results.  However, as others have been posting, this could all go in the crapper with my next batch.  As I haven't established a customer base yet, I wonder if I should switch over to a paraffin blend or even straight paraffin (heaven forbid!!).  I feel like half of candle buyers just want a nice smelling candle and the other half are focused on the wax makeup.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Candybee said:

Trappeur-- did you ever try palm wax? PM me for a sample.

Nope!  But you know what?  I want to get maybe 10 or 20 pounds of a paraffin or palm like you said just for me...not going to sell it....I want to make me some really outstanding super throw candles just for me.  I don't care what kind of wax it is.  I just want something?  Know what I mean?   I come here every day a gazillion times and all I read about is this complaint and that complaint and this one likes this wick and that one likes that wick and this one is trying this coconut with this soy and that paraffin and it's like...omg....will this ever end?   Well never!?   What would we all talk about?  I have never experimented with different waxes from day 1...all I have ever done and really perfected is c3 and 464 and even 415....That is the extent of my choices of waxes....but I love to read about all the different kinds, ya know.

But just like the rest of us I too have had to do retestings and change wick sizings because of all this bull crap of changes of waxes...well it it is what it and we all do what we have to do.  So NOW I'm doing for me and am going to treat myself and do another wax just for the hell of it....Oh god forbid I find something I like....I'm in deep deep crap if I find something better and do want to sell as you all know I sell candles for a living.  But I'm not even thinking about that...Every account is very happy with me so far and my candles.... but it doesn't hurt to look or try a little something different, right? So in answer to your question Candybee, nope never tried a palm...I do know they are gorgeous candles and I have seen your beautiful ones.  So let me ask you this?   They throw good right?  Ok, so where do I get and which wax do I buy?  Will my cd wicks work in them or htp?  Though I'm a cd person so that would be great if it can be done?  But your the pro so I'll have to listen to what you say.   Just pretend like I'm a newbie, ok...so what do I get?  Oh geesh, and yep now jars.....What jars should I get?   Well I probably have some here of every style out there, so could you make some suggestions?  I know nothing....but I wanna make....lol

Trappeur

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just started candle making for myself and have been looking for a different type of wax other than soy since it is so iffy at the moment.  I have been looking at palm wax recently and would also like to hear some about it from people that use it.  

24 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

I just started candle making for myself and have been looking for a different type of wax other than soy since it is so iffy at the moment.  I have been looking at palm wax recently and would also like to hear some about it from people that use it.  

Yeah the Elite 200 sounds interesting as a non-paraffin alternative, especially if it boosts consistency and HT over 100% soy.

I enjoy problend 600 however it does get wetspots in clear glass. I really want to use clear glass and need a wax that can always look great in the glass. When I look at diptyque candles. the wax doesn't stick to the glass and easily comes out. I want something like that (not easily coming out, but no glass adhesion with possibility of wetspot). elite wax sounds promising.

Elite 200 takes Natural Soy container wax to the next level! It goes beyond the C-Series waxes by allowing for even higher fragrance loads without syneresis. This performance wax is more forgiving. Complete pull-away without rattling in container. No fat bloom upon cooling, burning, or hot/cold testing. Does not contain genetically modified material. Sold by 60 lb. Box of slabs. MADE in the USA

Edited by Testing123
  • Thanks 1

I'm following this conversation - I use soy and haven't had problems with it, but at some point I do want to try others (not this year, new job + new baby means I need to stay the current course). 

One thing about soy - people do comment on how it's more 'natural' and my go-to response is that most anything produced at that kind of scale can have a negative environmental impact. It's up to consumers to decide which impact they'd rather support. 

• Like 3

I'm apart of a woman's group and we have health discussion regarding foods to avoid and soy consumption was said to cause hormone and fertility issues. So I was shocked to find that soy is such a big thing in the candle industry. I know consumers aren't eating the wax lol...but it's so strange to me how the message of soy candles is so pro-health, but as it relates to food the message is "steer clear"

Edited by Testing123
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend and I took a break from making paraffin candles and started making ones from palm wax.  We've had nothing but good results!  The scent throw, hot and cold, is fantastic.  We buy ours from the Lone Star candle supply website.  It is IGI R2779A Feather Palm.  Currently we are just testing the waters with it, burning them at home only, but do want to expand out.  They burn fantastic as well!  We don't use jars, making just pillars, votives, and tea lights.  It would almost be abusive to put a jar around this candle -- the patterns turn out so pretty!  I made a couple candles tonight and will post pictures ASAP.  

• Like 1

I am using palm wax.  I use the glass glow from Lone Star Candle Supply doing wick testing in just he wax I love it.  Even plain white wax looks beautiful with the pattern you get.  I am using a 4" apothecary jar and it is beautiful i wanna get the main wick test done fast so i can start adding color and scent to them.  Even my mom loves how the candles look burning with the patterns you get in it.  I wanna look into pillar candles but not till after i get the container candles dialed in first.  I do this as a hobby at the moment.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 10:56 AM, Trappeur said:

My question is "what is a high end wax?"....

"I hollered over t' Ethel, I said, "Don't look, Ethel!" But it's too late, she'd already been incensed."

I'm not sure Trapp... But uh, I think that wax what comes out of bee's butt's is about as precious as honey made from pure gold...

On 5/3/2018 at 2:58 PM, TallTayl said:

Re: the natural comment.... Soy wax is hydrogenated soybean oil. What it boils down to, soy wax is uncolored, unflavored margarine. Is margarine natural?

Wait... Are you saying MARGARINE isn't NATURAL?
But, but... 

Butter. 
Butter.
Butter.
PARRRRR-KAYYYYY... 

That's a BIG bubble to pop TT... 

;)

Sponiebr, 

"That's why they call'm the streak..." 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 1:57 PM, ncraiders said:

I am using palm wax.  I use the glass glow from Lone Star Candle Supply doing wick testing in just he wax I love it.  Even plain white wax looks beautiful with the pattern you get.  I am using a 4" apothecary jar and it is beautiful i wanna get the main wick test done fast so i can start adding color and scent to them.  Even my mom loves how the candles look burning with the patterns you get in it.  I wanna look into pillar candles but not till after i get the container candles dialed in first.  I do this as a hobby at the moment.

I bought a container palm wax called "frost" palm wax ( in Australia). It was super hard , coloured beautifully and had the most beautiful glow when burning. The throw was great , but I had a problem I didn't know how to fix. I made 2 , with different sized wicks. However , they both tunnelled really bad , but had a HUGE flame! so cn you suggest what I do? I would have used around 8% fragrance oil.  One jar was a squat type of glass bulb jar , the other  a 7cm Libbey "salsa' type jar , maybe not the best styles? But if i had wicked down , the tunnelling would be worse , what should I do? Any ideas please?

Edited by obsessed

5 hours ago, obsessed said:

I bought a container palm wax called "frost" palm wax ( in Australia). It was super hard , coloured beautifully and had the most beautiful glow when burning. The throw was great , but I had a problem I didn't know how to fix. I made 2 , with different sized wicks. However , they both tunnelled really bad , but had a HUGE flame! so cn you suggest what I do? I would have used around 8% fragrance oil.  One jar was a squat type of glass bulb jar , the other  a 7cm Libbey "salsa' type jar , maybe not the best styles? But if i had wicked down , the tunnelling would be worse , what should I do? Any ideas please?

Check under Vegetable and Beeswax Candle making for more help on palm wax. Here is a thread to start...

• Like 1