Excitement and Presto Pots!

C2565CDA-976A-43AC-8DB8-C7800276286F.thumb.jpeg.91be25abfc508bc852458928fa326396.jpeg

So, here’s my brand new Presto Pot that I picked up today! I’m SO excited to throw some wax in it once I’ve finally got sometime to! I thought I’d post a photo just to get a little info from those of you who may use the same model. :) 

And now for the questions...

1. How high do you set the temp on it to start heating your wax?

2. Do you feel it works well with all kinds of waxes? (At the moment it’s either soy or parasoy I’m using and I’m thinking of trying out a coconut blend as well in the near future.) 

3. Do any of you do anything inparticular to the inside of it before just pouring in and melting your wax in it?

4. I’m without an electric griddle as I’ve read many of you use one to heat up your pouring pots. Do you find theres another easy way of heating them? I plan to get a heat gun soon but until then.... I really like the idea of heating up a simple glass Pyrex cup in the microwave for a few seconds and using it for a pourer, but I’ve read that that’s a really bad idea.... 😕

As always- looking forward to feed back!

Congrats!  I have the new big one too and husband put a spigot on for me.

1. Temp...I work with palm so I set the dial to 200. When it is melted the wax is usually around 215 so I turn it down to warm. For other waxes that you may only need to get to 185 you will just have to play with it. 

2. Members here use it with all types of wax.

3. Nope

4. I use a double boiler on the stove to keep them warm. Just enough to keep it warm then turn it up to boiling to clean the pot out afterwards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sebleo said:

Congrats!  I have the new big one too and husband put a spigot on for me.

1. Temp...I work with palm so I set the dial to 200. When it is melted the wax is usually around 215 so I turn it down to warm. For other waxes that you may only need to get to 185 you will just have to play with it. 

2. Members here use it with all types of wax.

3. Nope

4. I use a double boiler on the stove to keep them warm. Just enough to keep it warm then turn it up to boiling to clean the pot out afterwards. 

Thank you! And thank you for the response. :) I’m so excited to use it. I was just kinda worried I might just go put the wax in it without asking these things and it might blow up in my face or something, so I just wanted to make sure! Hahaha.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

And now for the questions...

1. How high do you set the temp on it to start heating your wax?

2. Do you feel it works well with all kinds of waxes? (At the moment it’s either soy or parasoy I’m using and I’m thinking of trying out a coconut blend as well in the near future.) 

3. Do any of you do anything inparticular to the inside of it before just pouring in and melting your wax in it?

4. I’m without an electric griddle as I’ve read many of you use one to heat up your pouring pots. Do you find theres another easy way of heating them? I plan to get a heat gun soon but until then.... I really like the idea of heating up a simple glass Pyrex cup in the microwave for a few seconds and using it for a pourer, but I’ve read that that’s a really bad idea.... 😕

As always- looking forward to feed back!

1) I set mine to about 190° and hold my wax steady at that temp to melt. 

2) I don't use Soy, but I use my presto with my paraffin blends, both container and pillar, and I also use it with my hurricane wax (which has a very high melt point, and feels like hard plastic when in a hurricane shell) and I also use it with my palm wax. 

3) If there is not already wax in the pour pot I will take a dry paper towel and wipe out the inside. There usually isn't too much dust/debris as I do STORE my presto with the lid on but never, ever do I melt my wax with the lid on. I've heard and seen horror stories about doing this, so I would highly advise against it. 

4) I would also HIGHLY DISCOURAGE using pyrex in the microwave. Pyrex is just not made the way it used to be years ago, and can and has (as was shown in a recent thread here) exploded when heated in microwaves. I would either wait until you can get a cheap griddle, or a heat gun. 

I hope this helps. Happy chandling!! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jcandleattic said:

1) I set mine to about 190° and hold my wax steady at that temp to melt. 

2) I don't use Soy, but I use my presto with my paraffin blends, both container and pillar, and I also use it with my hurricane wax (which has a very high melt point, and feels like hard plastic when in a hurricane shell) and I also use it with my palm wax. 

3) If there is not already wax in the pour pot I will take a dry paper towel and wipe out the inside. There usually isn't too much dust/debris as I do STORE my presto with the lid on but never, ever do I melt my wax with the lid on. I've heard and seen horror stories about doing this, so I would highly advise against it. 

4) I would also HIGHLY DISCOURAGE using pyrex in the microwave. Pyrex is just not made the way it used to be years ago, and can and has (as was shown in a recent thread here) exploded when heated in microwaves. I would either wait until you can get a cheap griddle, or a heat gun. 

I hope this helps. Happy chandling!! 

Thank you for the help! (As always :))

I saw that recent scary post about Pyrex which was one of the reasons I decided against it... haha. That and other posts I’ve been reading on here. I have my trusty metal pour pot already of course that I’ve been using and I’m planning on grabbing another size soon too... I just thought it’s too bad pyrex wouldn’t work as it seems like really easy clean up! 

I recently found a heat gun at Home Depot that seems to have good reviews and decent price, so I’m thinking since I’ll need it in the long run anyway (and I luckily have a 5 dollar off coupon) I’ll just grab it soon.

• Like 2

May I also ask just out of curiosity @Jcandleattic What’s your favorite paraffin blend and wick combo? I’m trying to find some different combinations to try out. I really want better HT with my container candles. I’ve got CB-130 and I’m looking forward to using it, but I’d love more input!

Just now, Grungedoll said:

May I also ask just out of curiosity @Jcandleattic What’s your favorite paraffin blend and wick combo? I’m trying to find some different combinations to try out. I really want better HT with my container candles. I’ve got CB-130 and I’m looking forward to using it, but I’d love more input!

For containers I use  IGI 4636 (Formerly Astorlite J50) 

I use zincs in my containers. 

Once my stock of this runs out, I will probably eliminate it from my lineup, and just make palm containers. I use CD wick series with my palm wax. 

For my paraffin pillars, I like 2, either IGI 4625, or Candle and Supplies "Pre-Production paraffin blend" If I HAD to pick one over the other here, I would most likely pick the pre-production wax. 

I use flat braids for my pillars. 

You can try to find a flat griddle, or any other type of plug in vessel at the thrift stores. I saw one a few weeks ago at the Good Will store, but I didn't buy it. I don't need it quite yet. So, in the meantime, I just keep the water hot on the double boiler to reheat while doing layers of wax/repours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jcandleattic said:

For containers I use  IGI 4636 (Formerly Astorlite J50) 

I use zincs in my containers. 

Once my stock of this runs out, I will probably eliminate it from my lineup, and just make palm containers. I use CD wick series with my palm wax.  

Are you eliminating it because of the quality? Or just tired of using it?

im wondering if I shouldn’t look more into palm wax- I hear so many good things about it but I don’t know all that much about it besides the basics. What brand palm wax do you use?

2 minutes ago, Hopie said:

You can try to find a flat griddle, or any other type of plug in vessel at the thrift stores. I saw one a few weeks ago at the Good Will store, but I didn't buy it. I don't need it quite yet. So, in the meantime, I just keep the water hot on the double boiler to reheat while doing layers of wax/repours.

It’s probably my paranoia but I always get kinda nervous about reheating the pot after I’ve put my FO in it. Even just to do repours. I know it really shouldn’t be a concern though after everything I’ve read and that I probably just need to stop being a weirdo, haha.

'Eh, I've never had a problem reheating wax with the FO in it. I stand there the entire time I'm remelting/pouring. I keep the hot plate on a low setting in between the pours, then raise it when I need to reheat. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grungedoll said:

Are you eliminating it because of the quality? Or just tired of using it?

Mainly just tired or using it. It's a great wax, easy to wick, takes color nicely, gives a great throw, but I've been working with it for 20 years, and it's time for a change. I've been testing palm now for about a year, and feel it's time to introduce it. All my test subjects LOVE it so much more than the paraffin, and it's less expensive, looks great, is just as easy to use, just as easy to wick, and throws amazing with a much cleaner burn. (even though I have gotten my paraffin containers to an almost soot free existence, it does still crop up every now and then with certain scents) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Mainly just tired or using it. It's a great wax, easy to wick, takes color nicely, gives a great throw, but I've been working with it for 20 years, and it's time for a change. I've been testing palm now for about a year, and feel it's time to introduce it. All my test subjects LOVE it so much more than the paraffin, and it's less expensive, looks great, is just as easy to use, just as easy to wick, and throws amazing with a much cleaner burn. (even though I have gotten my paraffin containers to an almost soot free existence, it does still crop up every now and then with certain scents) 

That sounds so awesome. I’m really curious to try it. Especially with all those great points and being cheaper! May I ask where you get yours? Maybe a link (if it isn’t too much trouble)......? :) 

5 minutes ago, Grungedoll said:

That sounds so awesome. I’m really curious to try it. Especially with all those great points and being cheaper! May I ask where you get yours? Maybe a link (if it isn’t too much trouble)......? :) 

My palm? 

Candles and Supplies - http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Candle-Making/Palm-Candle-Wax

or Lonestar - https://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/candle-wax/palm-wax.html

• Like 1

Since 200 degrees is the lowest temperature on the dial, I set mine between the A and R in the word warm which nicely melted my paraffin which had a 138 degree melt point.  And it's always good to wash or at least Wipe Out the pot before first use so you don't get loose Teflon flakes (from the manufacturing process) or little packaging debris in your wax.

Edited by geodon99
  • Like 1