Fragrance testing at %

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've not been able to find it in the search.

so I'm aware that the fragrance can be stronger/weaker depending on the % fo we use, so using 6% can actually achieve a better ht than 10% fo used.  

But my question is, how do we test this most efficiently?

my thoughts are that I would have to make 3 test candles at 6, 8, 10% FO and wick test each one.  Once I got a wick that works, then make another 3 test candles with the 3 different  %'s fo (6, 8,10), and wick with correct wick based on first test and then test in different closed rooms to test for ht. 

Is this the best way to do this, or does anyone have a quicker way of testing for the highest ht per %?  Surely this is a very long winded way around, and I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion.  

I hope my scrawling makes sense to everyone.  
Thanks Natasha x

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Natasha2106 said:

But my question is, how do we test this most efficiently?

For me personally and my type of wax and applications, I never go above 6%. So that's where I start my testing. IF I like the scent at that percent I keep it. If at that % I get choked out because it's so strong (this actually does happen, probably about 10% of the time), I cut back until I find a % that works for me. If it feel the scent is too weak, or doesn't perform up to par, then I dump the scent and move on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

For me personally and my type of wax and applications, I never go above 6%. So that's where I start my testing. IF I like the scent at that percent I keep it. If at that % I get choked out because it's so strong (this actually does happen, probably about 10% of the time), I cut back until I find a % that works for me. If it feel the scent is too weak, or doesn't perform up to par, then I dump the scent and move on. 

This is some of the best advice I have read-thank you for this!  I'm pretty tired of trying to "make a scent work" by messing around with the FO%.  Knowing that hiking the % to 8, 9, 10% just to be able to smell it is self defeating and ends up producing a sooty, smelly candle that costs a fortune.  

• Like 1