C-3 Soy VS. Pro Blend 600 Parasoy?

I should be receiving a sampling of the Pro Blend parasoy any time now from Flaming Candle, so I was wondering about comparisons of these two waxes. What are the pros and cons comparisons of these two in your experience? It will help me in my testing if I have a starting point as far as wick choices. The jars I'm going to use are the 3.25 diameter status, which are 4" tall.

Thanks so much, can't wait to get the new wax to play with :rockon:

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested the c3 and have been using problend 600. Let me look at my notes.

What they have in common -- both give me relatively smooth tops. However the c3 gives me more dips near the wick. [I'm comparing these to the lumpy, crater and sinkhole nature of 464 and 444) Nothing major. c3 is a single pour wax if your ok with a slight dip. Problend is as flat and smooth as you can get with a single pour. Huge plus.

I think c3 lasts a bit longer than the problend.

Problend is soft and somewhat sticky and comes in small slabs, c3 comes in flakes so it's easier to deal with, less messy,  in terms of handling and measuring wax.

The c3 doesn't burn as clean as the problend. Problend has a consistently clean burn. C3 has personality issues...I dunno...throughout my burn test it kept changing dramatically. However c3 finished clean...odd.

Problend is more stable, more predictable, more fool-proof...imo

Note: I tested in small 4oz tins

Edited by Testing123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ProBlend arrived, now I'm just waiting on wicks to test it with. Did you get any frosting with the ProBlend? C3 is SO finicky, and I hate it when it frosts.

Edited by Hopie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently testing the ProBlend 600, they cured for two weeks and I've been burning two different size jars. One is a 4" tall status jar, 3" diameter. I used an Eco 12 in it and it's overwicked. Going to test it again with an Eco 10.

The large 16 oz jar I poured, however, is burning beautifully! I feel like I hit a jackpot on this one! I wicked it with the Eco 12. I am burning this one off and on all day for a thorough test, and thus far, I can't believe how good it's burning! I used Frankincense & Myrrh (Flaming Candle)  in the large jar, and Fruit Slices (Lone Star) in the short jar.

The hot and cold throw are both good. I actually used a little less oil than usual in the large jar, and the standard amount of 6% in the shorter jar. 

This wax is awesome! The tops were both just so perfectly and beautifully smooth. Both adhered to the jars well, even though I did not heat the jars. No wet spots in either jar. The colors came out pastel, but a little richer/darker than straight C3 soy. The larger jar had a touch of pullaway, but not anything significant. It was already 93 degrees in here when I poured them, so that may be a factor. 

I think I'll order more of this wax to play with, I'm happy with the results thus far. :yay:

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 3

That sounds like a good idea! I think I will get an assortment of the Eco wicks for use in other fragrances with this wax, it would be wise to have them on hand. Can't wait to get more of this wax, I only bought a 2 lb sample of it to try it out. I've got a bit of C3 soy left, but the frosting is driving me nuts! Almost everything I poured frosted up horribly! :mad:

On 5/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, Hopie said:

Currently testing the ProBlend 600, they cured for two weeks and I've been burning two different size jars. One is a 4" tall status jar, 3" diameter. I used an Eco 12 in it and it's overwicked. Going to test it again with an Eco 10.

The large 16 oz jar I poured, however, is burning beautifully! I feel like I hit a jackpot on this one! I wicked it with the Eco 12. I am burning this one off and on all day for a thorough test, and thus far, I can't believe how good it's burning! I used Frankincense & Myrrh (Flaming Candle)  in the large jar, and Fruit Slices (Lone Star) in the short jar.

The hot and cold throw are both good. I actually used a little less oil than usual in the large jar, and the standard amount of 6% in the shorter jar. 

This wax is awesome! The tops were both just so perfectly and beautifully smooth. Both adhered to the jars well, even though I did not heat the jars. No wet spots in either jar. The colors came out pastel, but a little richer/darker than straight C3 soy. The larger jar had a touch of pullaway, but not anything significant. It was already 93 degrees in here when I poured them, so that may be a factor. 

I think I'll order more of this wax to play with, I'm happy with the results thus far. :yay:

The wax is good but how is the throw? Only good? I'm looking for a new wax that's throws fantastic! 

On 5/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, Hopie said:

That sounds like a good idea! I think I will get an assortment of the Eco wicks for use in other fragrances with this wax, it would be wise to have them on hand. Can't wait to get more of this wax, I only bought a 2 lb sample of it to try it out. I've got a bit of C3 soy left, but the frosting is driving me nuts! Almost everything I poured frosted up horribly! :mad:

Hopie, are you coloring your candles?

Trappeur

4 hours ago, bridgewayprimitives said:

The wax is good but how is the throw? Only good? I'm looking for a new wax that's throws fantastic! 

The throw is fantastic with both, considering the amount of oil I used. The smaller one, Fruit Slices is throwing big! I purposely used less oil in the Frank n' Myrrh (which is absolutely dreamy from FC if you ask me), and it still throws pretty dang good. I LOVE the look of this wax, it's creamy and absolutely beautiful! Not a hint of frost, which was what was bugging me the most.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so here's the larger container, wicked with the ECO 12. I have really liked the burn thus far. Since it's gotten down into the jar, it's got a low flame, but still burning well. I did "cheat" a little by pouring off a little bit of excess wax off the top last night, as it may have drowned if I hadn't and I wanted to burn this to the end. I think I'd rather have a slight "underburn" than an "overburn", but I'd still test this one again and upwick it by one. I did get some sooting, but I don't think it's a detriment to the performance of the candle...it's not overly sooted, just some. 

I found this jar at the Dollar Tree, and since it was a thick glass, I thought I'd try it out with wax in it. Not sure if they're good enough to use on a regular basis, though. This one is for personal use until I figure that out. This jar was only a BUCK, and that's with the lid. 

IMG_20180614_173615.jpg

IMG_20180614_173628.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, Hopie said:

Okay, so here's the larger container, wicked with the ECO 12. I have really liked the burn thus far. Since it's gotten down into the jar, it's got a low flame, but still burning well. I did "cheat" a little by pouring off a little bit of excess wax off the top last night, as it may have drowned if I hadn't and I wanted to burn this to the end. I think I'd rather have a slight "underburn" than an "overburn", but I'd still test this one again and upwick it by one. I did get some sooting, but I don't think it's a detriment to the performance of the candle...it's not overly sooted, just some. 

I found this jar at the Dollar Tree, and since it was a thick glass, I thought I'd try it out with wax in it. Not sure if they're good enough to use on a regular basis, though. This one is for personal use until I figure that out. This jar was only a BUCK, and that's with the lid. 

IMG_20180614_173615.jpg

IMG_20180614_173628.jpg

Hi hopie!  I'm a newb here and have recently made the switch from c3 to PB600.  I am using htp wicks with it and find my hot throw to be decent, not great.  In a 16 oz smooth mason jar, I use an htp 73 and 6% fo.  Are you still using the Eco wicks in this or have you changed them up?  Thanks for any help you can give!

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, Hopie said:

The larger jar was an Eco 12. I'm finding that the smaller jars are way overwicked, so I poured a few new ones with Eco 4 to test them. They're currently curing.

Hello! Any updates on how you liked eco 4? I currently use C-3 and was thinking of making the switch to problend.. your post has been really helpful!