Faint scent, a lot of oil.

Ren

Hello, I'm very new to making candles so any information you'd like to share is helpful.

I made a few different candles this weekend, but I'll just list one to stay on track.

I added 20 drops of Eucalyptus and 20 drops of Lavender.  I added the oils at aprx. 124 degrees, poured into my container, and let sit for 3 days before lighting.  When I smell it while it's lit, all I get is a nose full of hot air from the flame. What am I doing wrong?

First of all welcome. It’s nice to see here. We need a little bit more information before we can answer your question. You will get a lot of feedback about measuring with weight instead of drops. And I gree with this. For the start can you answer these questions for us?

what wax are you using?

container dimensions

container material (glass, metal)

container shape

wick type

where is the fragrance from?

My only other comment is the temperature of your wax is far too low to be blending in any fragrance.

Thank you so much.

I'm using soy wax.

Container us aprx 3.25x4inches

Glass material and

Lantern shape.

What temperature is reccomeded to add oil? Does it have to sit and cool for a certain time or is it poured immediately after the oil is put in? 

So much I still don't know, even after researching!

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

What size container is it? How much wax did you use to fill the container? 20 drops of any EO is not a lot and for candles you typically need more compared to using FOs.

It's a 3.25x4inch container, I filled just below the rim. 

would you recommend FO over EO?

4 hours ago, Ren said:

It's a 3.25x4inch container, I filled just below the rim. 

would you recommend FO over EO?

I don't know what size container that is. Is it an 8oz jar, a 12oz jar, more, less? How many oz of wax did you use to fill the container? I can't guess at the amount of scent it needs unless I know how much wax you used.

RE: FOs, when you use FOs made for candlemaking it can make a huge difference in scent throw.

• Like 1

I don't know the instructions for you type of wax but typically for the type of pure soy wax I use it is 1oz per pound of wax for fragrance oil and 1/2 oz per pound of wax for essential oils.  I agree with Trapp in that a picture of the jar would really help!