Soy wax prices expected to rise

On 4/22/2018 at 12:19 AM, fallujahkid said:

I am completely new to candle making.  First 10 lbs of soy had me looking for something else.  That something else was slab coconut from NorthWood Candle Supply.  I’ve liked the cold and hot throw, (willing to work out a wick solution) but the price per case is ridiculous.  Planned on switching to C&S slab coconut.  Discouraged by this thread.  Any good news out there?

Hello @fallujahkid, here's some info I found out (I believe it was early in the year 2018). I have shared it before on here in another thread, but here's the short version of it. LOL

Unless things have changed, I spoke to a guy at Accu-Blend Corp., a wax manufacturer in CA, and he told me that Candles & Supplies and Northwood Candle Supply are some of their wax distributors on the east coast. They both carry the same waxes although they may package and price the waxes differently (don't know why). I'm referring to Coconut wax blends such as Easy beads, Slab wax and Coconut 83. I hate to say it but Northwood Candle Supply is over charging for the Easy Beads wax/Coconut 83 wax. And Easy Beads and Coconut 83 are suppose to be the same wax. When I buy Easy Beads/Coconut 83 wax, I buy it from Candles & Supplies since they have lower prices and shipping is cheaper for me since they are closer to where I live.

I was also told by a lady at Candles & Supplies that their Slab Coconut wax has beeswax in it. Now, that's what she told me, I don't know if that is still the case. I guess they are taking the Coconut 83 and adding some beeswax to it??? For me presonally, the Slab coconut wax and the Easy Beads wax do smell and act somewhat different. Relating to scents I have used for a long time and are familiar with, I get true scents in the Easy Beads wax but with the Slab wax my scents have a different smell. 

27 minutes ago, Laura C said:

. And Easy Beads and Coconut 83 are suppose to be the same wax. When I buy Easy Beads/Coconut 83 wax, I buy it from Candles & Supplies since they have lower prices and shipping is cheaper for me since they are closer to where I live.

I am not sure about this. Something is different about them.  I've been using easybeads for several months and I used to use coco83.  I'm in SoCal so buying coco83 is much less $$ for me.  However, the texture and appearance of the easybeads had me convinced it was different and/or a modified version of coco83.   To test my suspicion, I bought a few lbs of coco83 from CalCandle last month to compare them side by side.  The CalCandle coco83 is now in "bead" form - really, it's just a  bag of sticky, lumpy wax but it does look a bit more like easy beads now.  However,  my new coco83 is darker/ more beige than the easy beads and it has a very noticeable and to me a very unpleasant nutty/grease odor that my easy beads do not have.  I can smell it even when burning a finished, fragranced candle.   I don't recall it being this bad a year ago but this latest batch of coco83 stinks.  I won't be buying anymore of it anytime soon. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pughaus said:

I am not sure about this. Something is different about them.  I've been using easybeads for several months and I used to use coco83.  I'm in SoCal so buying coco83 is much less $$ for me.  However, the texture and appearance of the easybeads had me convinced it was different and/or a modified version of coco83.   To test my suspicion, I bought a few lbs of coco83 from CalCandle last month to compare them side by side.  The CalCandle coco83 is now in "bead" form - really, it's just a  bag of sticky, lumpy wax but it does look a bit more like easy beads now.  However,  my new coco83 is darker/ more beige than the easy beads and it has a very noticeable and to me a very unpleasant nutty/grease odor that my easy beads do not have.  I can smell it even when burning a finished, fragranced candle.   I don't recall it being this bad a year ago but this latest batch of coco83 stinks.  I won't be buying anymore of it anytime soon. 

OMG! No, no, say it isn't so! So now they have messed up or reformulated coco83 now too? I don't think I can handle this. LOL. The wax manufactures are killing me. *deadhorse*

I believe what you are saying, I sure hate to hear it though. Thanks so much for spreading the news. Several months ago I bought Easy Beads from C&S and it is great. I believe the last time I bought Coco83 from CA Candle Supply was late last year.

Edited by Laura C

6 minutes ago, Laura C said:

All I have to say is, making scented candles use to be fun, not so much any more. :confused:

And I'm getting really tired of feeling like I'm just throwing money down the drain for crap wax.

Really glad I bought heavy this summer on Easybeads and have a stockpile of the other waxes I like to blend them with. At least I know my current tests are all good. Retesting new wicks will be a problem for another day.

34 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Really glad I bought heavy this summer on Easybeads and have a stockpile of the other waxes I like to blend them with. At least I know my current tests are all good. Retesting new wicks will be a problem for another day.

Seems like that was a good move on your part. I just haven't felt really good about anything lately to justify large quantities. Maybe I can at least formulate some nice candles to give as gifts this Christmas.  🎄🎁 🎅

21 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Seems like that was a good move on your part. I just haven't felt really good about anything lately to justify large quantities. Maybe I can at least formulate some nice candles to give as gifts this Christmas.  🎄🎁 🎅

The buy was a last minute Hail Mary that was initially quite regrettable.  Once my summer event ended this pile of wax kept reminding me of the failure, so I had no choice other than to try to make it work.  Took a couple hundred lbs, but it is making me quite happy finally 🤪

29 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The buy was a last minute Hail Mary that was initially quite regrettable.  Once my summer event ended this pile of wax kept reminding me of the failure, so I had no choice other than to try to make it work.  Took a couple hundred lbs, but it is making me quite happy finally 🤪

That's good it's finally turning out well for you. :thumbsup:  I'm going to try to make my Easy Beads wax work, LOL. Use some other additives, mix it with other waxes or something. At the very least I could make fire starters and wax melts, which are things I want to start playing around with. I refuse to throw away or abandon my materials, I want to create something nice with them.

Edited by Laura C

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

smart veteran move 👍especially since easy beads have been out of stock for a while and candles and supplies.  

17 hours ago, Laura C said:

OMG! No, no, say it isn't so! So now they have messed up or reformulated coco83 now too? I don't think I can handle this. LOL. The wax manufactures are killing me. *deadhorse*

I believe what you are saying, I sure hate to hear it though. Thanks so much for spreading the news. Several months ago I bought Easy Beads from C&S and it is great. I believe the last time I bought Coco83 from CA Candle Supply was late last year.

I bought mine from Cal Candle Supply this year and it was a pure white slab of very soft wax.

15 hours ago, pughaus said:

smart veteran move 👍especially since easy beads have been out of stock for a while and candles and supplies.  

Supply chain is the thing I’m most fearful of with easybeads :( . Thy only get a small number of cases at a time. The lead time during warmer months was a month or more at times.  Seems we need to plan two or three months in advance.

the good news is easybeads survived transportation during some of the hottest months here in N. IL

26 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I bought mine from Cal Candle Supply this year and it was a pure white slab of very soft wax.

The original coco83 I tried was pure white. Easybeads ave always been off white, nearliy always ivory, sometimes darker. Nobody is 100% certain of what either formula actually is. I’m dreading getting more easybeads now that it seems like the base formula may not be locked in. Oh well.  Onward. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

It just seems like buying wax these days is a guessing game as for what you'll get. Does anyone know if this is just with natural waxes/natural wax blends? Or has straight paraffin candle wax been messed with too? Cause I'm wondering if I should just switch to paraffin wax for making candles, in order to achieve a good candle.

26 minutes ago, Laura C said:

It just seems like buying wax these days is a guessing game as for what you'll get. Does anyone know if this is just with natural waxes/natural wax blends? Or has straight paraffin candle wax been messed with too? Cause I'm wondering if I should just switch to paraffin wax for making candles, in order to achieve a good candle.

Paraffin has not been immune either.  There’s a range of tolerances with all waxes. 

• Thanks 1