Wax suggestions!

Hey everyone! I have made more than a couple batches so far of GB 464. As I found the CT was awesome but the HT was not good, I started reading up and down this blog. While it may be the wicking (I'll find out soon when new batch cures), I am weary to keep spending money on what seems like a shaky soy market. I bought 4 candles from 4 different companies that are 100% soy and they are awesome. Seems like conflicting thoughts out there.

1) If I was to simply test a couple different wax makeups, which would you recommend? (beeswax+cococut, parasoy, etc..)

2) How do the % change when using, lets say, soy vs beeswax?

3) Can anyone tell me if phthalate free has an effect on scent?

4) I know a couple companies who use coconut oil instead of coconut wax. How would that be different?

This forum has been an absolute awesome resource. Everyone is so friendly and I learn so much in the little time I have been doing this! Thanks in advanced and excited to hear your experiences!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WaxDaddy said:

Hey everyone! I have made more than a couple batches so far of GB 464. As I found the CT was awesome but the HT was not good, I started reading up and down this blog. While it may be the wicking (I'll find out soon when new batch cures), I am weary to keep spending money on what seems like a shaky soy market. I bought 4 candles from 4 different companies that are 100% soy and they are awesome. Seems like conflicting thoughts out there.

1) If I was to simply test a couple different wax makeups, which would you recommend? (beeswax+cococut, parasoy, etc..)

2) How do the % change when using, lets say, soy vs beeswax?

3) Can anyone tell me if phthalate free has an effect on scent?

4) I know a couple companies who use coconut oil instead of coconut wax. How would that be different?

This forum has been an absolute awesome resource. Everyone is so friendly and I learn so much in the little time I have been doing this! Thanks in advanced and excited to hear your experiences!

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but knowing the wick and container combination, the %fo you used and how you conducted your burn tests would help us help you figure out where things are going wrong. Also, did you do a full 2 week cure? So many things can affect how a candle throws.

What is your end objective when making a candle? If HT is your primary concern, why not try paraffin? It is so much easier than soy, and there are great blends that throw like crazy.

Coconut oil is as tricky as soy to master, if not more so. I haven't tried it yet, but there are a bunch of threads about it that have convinced me not to, lol. Beeswax is even worse. I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving a heads up, if you're frustrated with soy, neither of those waxes will make life easier.

I tried soy early on, and decided life to too short for all that. Many people feel it's worth it to use a renewable wax source, and some people just really like the aesthetic of soy wax. Some really want to work with veggie waxes, and some like the classic appeal of paraffin. Know what you want from your end product will help you decide the best starting point.

HTH!

• Like 2

@Sarah S Thanks for the feedback! I used GW464, 6% FO. Added at 185 and poured at 135. Some issues with wet spots in maybe 2 in the whole lot, but overall, no problem with appearance or smoothness. They sent me the wrong wicks, so that could be the HT problem. I cured for 2 weeks.

Since I am in the beginning stages and not looking to start a business quite yet until I spent a great deal of time perfecting this process, I still have to keep the prospect of a business in mind. I am a conservationist, so using paraffin or petroleum based product is not in my nature to buy, let alone sell in the future.

Where I am at is trying to gather opinions. Some say beeswax doesn't hold a lot of fragrance, some say they love working with it. Same can be said with all of these waxes. Guess I'd rather have a better idea on what is ridiculously hard to work with and vulnerable compared to a more reliable base product I can experiment with and perfect. I own a business, so extra spending cash typically goes back to the business,somehow :P  . Buying 20 different waxes and buying thousands of wicks for each blend would be an absolute nightmare!

What do you use and what is your experience with it?

wick was eco 2 for a 2.5 in x4 in container. It was suppose to be eco 6-10 I believe. That is more than likely the hot throw issue. But seeing all these posts about HT in soy because the soy is messed up is making me skeptical about buying another bag of soy..

Edited by WaxDaddy
spelling error

6 hours ago, WaxDaddy said:

Can anyone tell me if phthalate free has an effect on scent?

I have not found a difference regarding the strength of a fragrance with phthalate free or with phthalates. From my research, there is no proven evidence that phthalates in fragrances have any harmful effects, however, a lot of our fragrance suppliers are proactively removing them from fragrances just to be safe. According to the FDA "Phthalates are a group of chemicals used in hundreds of products. The phthalate commonly used in fragrance products is diethyl phthalate, or DEP. DEP does not pose known risks for human health as it is currently used in cosmetics and fragrances."

• Like 2