Process question

I had a little free time on Sunday and decided what I really needed was to put some of my new, untested FOs into some wax; I mean clearly that was more important that anything on my extensive to do list. I gathered everything together and got down to it. I wanted to make three eight ounce tins with different FOs. I weighed the correct amount of 6006 wax into my pour pot and set it in a pan of water on the stove. Next I weighted my FO in a small beaker. When the wax reached about 190 degrees I poured the weight I needed into a beaker. At this point the temperature of the wax had dropped below 185 degrees so I put it in the microwave and got it back to 185. I added the FO, stirred for about 30 seconds, and this poured it into the tin. Normally I would have let it cool, but as it was occupying the beaker I needed for my next candle I decided not to wait. All three candles look great, no issues with the wax cooling too fast. My question is will this process adversely affect my hot throw? It make it easy to test new FOs in my wax to see if I like them and if I need to wick up or down, so I’m hopping I’m OK with this.    

Good thing you posted this, I do NOT recommend a microwave for heating wax! See pictures! I will create a post about this dangerous practice under "candle making" discussions for all to see/read! 

Microwave One.JPG

Microwave Two.JPG

• Like 1

Re-heating your wax won't affect the throw, candles that require a second pour or top off go through that all the time. Or is it the microwave you're concerned about?  Personally, when making a small batch for testing purposes, I don't stress if the temp drops a little below the ideal. But I don't use soy so maybe that's different.

Some people warm their pots and beakers in the oven at a low setting to keep everything toasty before pouring, maybe you could try that?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Re-heating your wax won't affect the throw, candles that require a second pour or top off go through that all the time. Or is it the microwave you're concerned about?  Personally, when making a small batch for testing purposes, I don't stress if the temp drops a little below the ideal. But I don't use soy so maybe that's different.

Some people warm their pots and beakers in the oven at a low setting to keep everything toasty before pouring, maybe you could try that?

What concerns me the most is I'm pouring less than a minute after adding the FO

On 4/16/2018 at 9:56 PM, Forrest said:

What concerns me the most is I'm pouring less than a minute after adding the FO

I don't think it would, a lot of people pour 6006 at high temps, so they can't have more then a minute or 2 after adding FO. I can't confirm that to be true, because I pour mine near slush to minimize issues. 

• Thanks 1