How do you feel about it..?

So first, my apologies for posting so much! haha. I know I’ve been doing so a lot since I’ve joined here... but I’ve also been reading so, SO much lately about how to do so many things, what’s best for what, different choices I have in every piece of everything....and I truly appreciate the input you get on this board and opinions any of you may have in the world of candle making.

(Getting to the point... :))

With all the things you can read on the internet these days, and being new at making candles myself... I felt the need to ask. Do any of you feel concern for your own health while making candles? I was standing over some melted wax the other day, just stirring and thinking to myself... (I’m sure this has been discussed before in the past... :/ so sorry for re-asking, but you may have different opinions now anyway or learned something different yourself about the subject... so why not?) I know that I really want to one day a little further down the road once I’ve done enough testing on everything and feel I have come to a good place- to make this a business... and I may just be paranoid... but honestly, do you feel you might wind up with health problems caused by melting all the FOs or all the waxes in the long run? Or those who maybe around you while you’re doing it could too? I’m a firm believer in doing what you love to do, and I have no plans of giving up or being “scared off” I just would feel terrible to put anyone’s health in jeopardy and I just wanted to see what anyone else had to say about it.

Thank you!

Edited by Grungedoll

40 minutes ago, Grungedoll said:

So first, my apologies for posting so much! haha

First, never ever be sorry for posting. We love active posters. 

41 minutes ago, Grungedoll said:

Do any of you feel concern for your own health while making candles?

Second, there are a few posts on this topic. 

For me, no I don't have this concern. I do use a respirator when mixing my fragrances, especially if I am making a big run of soaps or candles, but I have been making candles for 20 years, burning them in some form (for testing or pleasure) almost on a daily basis this whole time, and I've never had ill effects because of it, nor has anyone in my family. 

That is just my opinion though, take it how you will... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

First, never ever be sorry for posting. We love active posters. 

Second, there are a few posts on this topic. 

For me, no I don't have this concern. I do use a respirator when mixing my fragrances, especially if I am making a big run of soaps or candles, but I have been making candles for 20 years, burning them in some form (for testing or pleasure) almost on a daily basis this whole time, and I've never had ill effects because of it, nor has anyone in my family. 

That is just my opinion though, take it how you will... 

Well that’s awesome to know. It’s great getting input from someone that’s been making candles as long as you have, so I really do appreciate it. 

What kind of resperator are you using? Do you think if someone’s in the area while making them that they’re at risk at all? My fiancée is obviously around sometimes as I make them in our kitchen... and I’m just trying to cover all my bases, haha.

I've been using a respirator for years when I make candles. It keeps you from breathing in the toxic vapors. Trust me they can damage your lungs so if you plan to make a lot of candles invest in a good one. One that is OSHA approved. I got mine at Lowe's Home Improvement. It was around $35-$50... not sure how much as its been a long time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I've been using a respirator for years when I make candles. It keeps you from breathing in the toxic vapors. Trust me they can damage your lungs so if you plan to make a lot of candles invest in a good one. One that is OSHA approved. I got mine at Lowe's Home Improvement. It was around $35-$50... not sure how much as its been a long time.

I’m definitely going to look into it! Thank you! Do you remember what brand it is? And do you worry about other people that maybe in the same room as you breathing it in while you’re making it? I’m making mine in my kitchen and obviously they aren’t exactly “over it” like we are... but as I told Jcandleattic, I’m just covering all my bases and looking for as much info as possible, haha. :) 

This is a great question. I use the same type of respirator and I'll post a pic. I get it from amazon.

I noticed once I started making big batches that I would get a sinus/chest cold. And I also found out that if I sleep with a wax melter going anywhere in the house I wake up and my sinus passages and throat will be swollen. 

The respirator has been amazing! I also put a small fan in my kitchen window ledge and turn it on to help suck all the fumes out faster.

My only battle now is when to produce. My son has autism and 1) I don't really like producing while he is around and 2) He has developed a fear of the mask. 

For now I only do small batches when he is awake and wait til he goes to bed to really work. Or have my mom take him for a few hours during the week. 

Edit: that is just the cartridge, you buy the mask separately.

Screenshot_2018-04-15-13-26-12.png

Edited by Sebleo
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for all of the responses! It's been really helpful. :)

I'm thinking this one maybe good... I'll be going to grab it sometime this week! You think it'd be a good choice @Sebleo @Candybee? It's a 3M model and has good reviews...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-House-Hold-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-65021HA1-C/202080143

Edited by Grungedoll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I use latex gloves to keep fragrance from soaking into my skin.

This! wearing gloves became such a habit in my soapmaking that I just always wear them, no matter which craft I'm doing that involves scent-making. 

1 minute ago, Grungedoll said:

Just regular latex gloves? I take it you only wear them when adding the FO with candles?

Personally I usually wear them the entire time, but as I said, it's because of habit with soapmaking which you need the gloves on for more than just the scenting with the other chemicals involved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grungedoll said:

I’ll definitely be adding it to my list! I wasn’t sure if they’d be ok to wear while stirring and everything or not.

I think for that it's probably personal preference. Try it and if it isn't comfortable, ditch it, but if its' fine, maybe just keep at it. For me, it's easier to don them at the beginning of the process than to change out in the middle. 

14 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

I'm thinking this one maybe good... I'll be going to grab it sometime this week! You think it'd be a good choice @Sebleo @Candybee? It's a 3M model and has good reviews...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-House-Hold-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-65021HA1-C/202080143

That looks great! Its a good price too. Looks just like mine. It really keeps out all the noxious vapors you can't see coming off the fragrance oils as you pour them and stir them into your wax.

You will have to get used to not smelling your scented wax as you mix and pour your wax. I got into the habit of putting the FO bottle next to each scent I just poured so I know what labels to put on the jars. This can help save you some frustration. You think you know all the scents until you get that one batch that for the life you you can't tell which one it is. LOL Ask me how I know!!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

Also, I've read a lot lately about people wearing gloves while working... is this more just in case of splashing wax? What kind of gloves..?
Questions! Questions!

Personally I don't wear gloves making candles. I do wear them for when I make soap thou. I guess its a personal preference. I do wear the respirator and long sleeved shirt, long pants, and shoes for protection. I use old clothes for making candles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Candybee said:

That looks great! Its a good price too. Looks just like mine. It really keeps out all the noxious vapors you can't see coming off the fragrance oils as you pour them and stir them into your wax.

You will have to get used to not smelling your scented wax as you mix and pour your wax. I got into the habit of putting the FO bottle next to each scent I just poured so I know what labels to put on the jars. This can help save you some frustration. You think you know all the scents until you get that one batch that for the life you you can't tell which one it is. LOL Ask me how I know!!

Awesome! I’m sure that’ll be the one I’m going to grab or this other one for paint fumes. I just wasn’t sure what it should say it blocks out since nothing says “fragrance oils”, obviously ;)

and thats at a good tip! Luckily I’m only pouring so much right now to start but I’m sure for more that’ll get more hard to keep them separated!

So not to repeat myself but to make sure, I’m right in thinking as far as good ventilation (I plan to open windows and turn on the exhaust fan over my stove) that others that maybe around are safe with it being in the air? I figured I’d make them when I’m alone at home as much as I can and then air out the apartment before anyone else maybe around. Is that good enough....? Any extra precautions I need to consider? You don’t know how much your help so far has helped calm my paranoia! Haha.

16 minutes ago, Grungedoll said:

Any extra precautions I need to consider?

I don't think so. As someone stated earlier, as long as the person is not as close to the vapors as you, the maker, are, then I think they should be fine. 

Just like having an extra concentrated strong melt going. (that's my personal opinion though, others may have different views) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I don't think so. As someone stated earlier, as long as the person is not as close to the vapors as you, the maker, are, then I think they should be fine. 

Just like having an extra concentrated strong melt going. (that's my personal opinion though, others may have different views) 

That’s what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure! 

28 minutes ago, Kerven said:

Don't work with fragrances around flames (even the pilot flame of a hot water heater or furnace) or things that spark?

Of course! :)

21 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

That is the exact one I got off Amazon. The p100. I've had it for almost a year and I still can't smell a thing when pouring wax. The price is the same too. I'm going to get the replacement cartridges on subscribe and save too save a few bucks.

• Like 1