Flame Flickering Recommendations

I am testing 4630 with a small percentage of soy in a libby status jar 12oz using HTP and ECO wicks with a 4% FO load and no dye. Both wick types burn well. Some hang up till I get about a half way down then I seems to catch up. Jar temp good. No soot (YEH!). My wicks are doing a happy dance...flickering towards the end of a long burn and even when the wick is trimmed.  It seems they both favor the same direction. There is no unusual air flow in the room. I am sure there is some scientific explanation due to lack of oxygen as the wax gets lower in the jar. Are there any recommendations to try to fix this? Do others that use the status jar have these same challenges? Thanks !!

Tom

1 hour ago, coachtom said:

My wicks are doing a happy dance...flickering towards the end of a long burn and even when the wick is trimmed. 

Even if you trimmed the wick prior to burning, they can still flicker after a long burn as the wick will become longer again and may also have some mushrooming.

All wicks flicker under certain circumstances and it's not necessarily a bad thing. As TT pointed out the flame will create its own air current and as it burns farther down into the jar will also be seeking oxygen to burn.

• Like 1