Website Product Pics

Jeana

B&B Product Photos for Websites  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should soap and candle product photos for websites have staged backgrounds, or should they be just the product, with plain white backgrounds?

• Product only with a plain white background
    • Product with staged background (soap in dish, or a flower next to it)

I'm redoing my website soon and I'm torn with whether to just have the product with a white background or have something interesting and pretty in the pics with the products. The bigger sellers like Soaptopia, Sephora, Lush, Origins ...... all have just the product with the white background. And most handcrafted soap makers have a more artistic approach and include their soaps or candles in a setting for their pics. I'm torn, so I thought I would get some opinions. 

I love both ways.   I believe it's just a matter of how the product is displayed.  When going with a staged background, just make sure it is very simple and clean and not distracting.  Something that enhances the product and doesn't take away from it.  Whether it is a plain background in a white or black or stagedr always make sure the your product is very sharp with no blurriness. Invest in a lightbox.  If you can't have a photo taken like that then ask someone to photograph it or have it professionally done.  Pictures can make or break a sale quite simply.

Trappeur

• Like 3

A third option is needed imo: textured background. A well-weathered barn board or piece of stone can make a nice background. 

If you want to be possibly featured on etsy, etc. a stark white, well balanced photo will get you three quicker. 

Personally, unless *very* well stylized, those with random stuff in the photo detract from the product. 

In the end, just be completely consistent within your brand. 

• Like 3

I have no idea. I can link photos I like or websites I like the photos in, but I have no idea. I do know I NEEEEEEEEED to redo the photos on my website and I like the ones with the green trees in the background better then the ones with the stark white background...

Here is my website https://www.mayamadesoap.com/shop

A site with which I like the product photography. http://www.fawnlilybotanica.com/

Auntie Clara is a photographer so her photos of her products are gorgeous of course. https://auntieclaras.com/gallery/

• Like 1

great website iansmommaya....I would only suggest a little color boost to make the blue pop and a little highlight to make the backround glow a tiny bit that's all otherwise a fantastic site I really love it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

A third option is needed imo: textured background. A well-weathered barn board or piece of stone can make a nice background. 

If you want to be possibly featured on etsy, etc. a stark white, well balanced photo will get you three quicker. 

Personally, unless *very* well stylized, those with random stuff in the photo detract from the product. 

In the end, just be completely consistent within your brand. 

I've always done the slate, stones, iron, or barn looking wood for my product pics, (See below) but I'm trying decide whether to stay with this, or just use those types of shots for feature photos/banner photos on the site. Then go with the no background for the products. Here is a good example of the no background look https://soaptopia.com/collections/all-soaps

The thing that kind of bugs me about this website is that the pics seem so "in your face".  And if you have light colored soaps, it can look a little washed out. But I think it is a more modern look for commerce sites these days. 

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jeana said:

I think they look good the way your doing them. I personally don't like white backgrounds, its hard to see certain colors, but that's just my opinion. It all comes down to personal preference though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunday said:

great website iansmommaya....I would only suggest a little color boost to make the blue pop and a little highlight to make the backround glow a tiny bit that's all otherwise a fantastic site I really love it

OH Thank you! I changed it to darker for the winter and for spring I'll do a lighter background. Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'll try it out. <3

5 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

I have no idea. I can link photos I like or websites I like the photos in, but I have no idea. I do know I NEEEEEEEEED to redo the photos on my website and I like the ones with the green trees in the background better then the ones with the stark white background...

Really you want both styles of picture, your product photos solos with a white background and also lifestyle shots. Looking at your website if you I would say unless you're going to actually remove the background in the solo shots with white backdrops so they're a pure white then go with the trees in the background ones for your photography. If you don't have software to remove the backgrounds yourself but want them done I suggest googling image touch up companies, specifically clipping services, they are extremely reasonable priced for the images you'd need done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LitUp said:

Really you want both styles of picture, your product photos solos with a white background and also lifestyle shots. Looking at your website if you I would say unless you're going to actually remove the background in the solo shots with white backdrops so they're a pure white then go with the trees in the background ones for your photography. If you don't have software to remove the backgrounds yourself but want them done I suggest googling image touch up companies, specifically clipping services, they are extremely reasonable priced for the images you'd need done.

I just check out your website. It looks great. It’s pretty much what I have in mind for my redo. It really does look so much more serious. 

Did you take your own photos?

i think I can take some nice shots, then use a clipping service like you suggested. But I don’t see how you can make every selection look exactly the same. Even if I crop my photos to the same size there will be obvious differences, mostly the distance from the camera, or the angle. How is this done?

Ok, here is my unbiased opinion.

I love love 

10 hours ago, Jeana said:

I've always done the slate, stones, iron, or barn looking wood for my product pics, (See below) but I'm trying decide whether to stay with this, or just use those types of shots for feature photos/banner photos on the site. Then go with the no background for the products. Here is a good example of the no background look https://soaptopia.com/collections/all-soaps

The thing that kind of bugs me about this website is that the pics seem so "in your face".  And if you have light colored soaps, it can look a little washed out. But I think it is a more modern look for commerce sites these days. 

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

Here is my unbiased opinion....

These photo shots you took with the stone backgrounds are absolutely beautiful!  Well done!    When you have a beautiful product such as these soaps and have a background such as these to me these backgrounds of stone actually "enhance" your soaps.  They are beautiful the soaps and you have just enough natural stone backgrounds in the pictures that have not distracted your soaps and these backgrounds "show off" your product to a product of " perfection and quality and quite classy.   Your eyes immediately gravitate to your soap product.   When I had my home furnishings store I would shop from the person who put the time and effort into a finished end product.  When I would go to buy for my store and traveled to wholesale shows I was always attracted to the person who made the presentation.  The booths that went all out and had a fabulous display are truly attention grabbers.    It's all about presentation, presentation, presentation.......And that is what you want...If someone had a gorgeous booth with stunning set up and had products such as yours displayed in, you had me at the word "go".  The other pictures you show with a white background, don't get offended...but they look just like everyone elses product....nothing special what so ever.....  Don't you want to stand out from the other person?  What would make the person stay on your site?    Now don't get me wrong...there are sites where the way they have their product displayed with white backgrounds that are absolutely gorgeous...I guess it's the shading of stark white backgrounds or the way the photographer actually styled the whole set up and can be done.   But after looking at your photo's and the white backgrounds....without a doubt, the stone background and not only just for a header on your website but for each product showcased.  If I was browsing through websites and wound up on yours, my first reaaction would be "wow!"  And I'd be stuck there trying to make decisions of what products I wanted to order because each one was as nice as the other and would have a hard time making up my mind...... I would stick with your original style you have going and don't change a thing!

One more thing.  You said it bothers you because the pictures are so in your face?     Geesh, you WANT them in your face!!  I can't stand looking at photos that are featured small...It bugs the heck out of me.  You can't see the quality and it's very irritating to me when people take far away photos like that.  Don't change a thing.  You want them up close.  Well done.

Trappeur

"Love your soaps"!!

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

Product photography is a serious source of irritation to me.  LOL  As stated above, for example, Etsy recommends plain, white backgrounds and diffused lighting.  But my favorite photos from my Etsy shop are the ones I take in bright sunlight and with small props.  For example, I have a few small seashells in my Ocean Mist candle picture, and I think it looks good.  What appeals to me is very different from what the Etsy "experts" suggest.  My backgrounds are mostly blurred out, so I don't worry too much about that detracting from the picture.  But I mess around with light tents, shade, full sun, and props, and honestly?  I like the stylized photos much better.  I like the stones and such in your product photos.

oceanmist2016.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Product photography is a serious source of irritation to me.  LOL  As stated above, for example, Etsy recommends plain, white backgrounds and diffused lighting.  But my favorite photos from my Etsy shop are the ones I take in bright sunlight and with small props.  For example, I have a few small seashells in my Ocean Mist candle picture, and I think it looks good.  What appeals to me is very different from what the Etsy "experts" suggest.  My backgrounds are mostly blurred out, so I don't worry too much about that detracting from the picture.  But I mess around with light tents, shade, full sun, and props, and honestly?  I like the stylized photos much better.  I like the stones and such in your product photos.

oceanmist2016.jpg

I love these! I know Etsy (used to) be the be all and end all for smalls like us. But I don't think that true anymore, if it ever was. I think that each of us does our own thing and that is grand.

I do what Litup does and use both kinds for my products. I used a staged photo for the master shot and a white background for the up close product shot.

One thing I have learned, if you are doing a staged shot natural lighting is almost always the best. Make sure your background' makes sense and shows your product the best. The product should always be the main focus prominently featured in the shot without major distractions. Also, if you have a lavender scented candle and want to use flowers in the shot it makes more sense to have lavender flowers than daisies in the shot. KWIM?

• Like 4

On 4/2/2018 at 2:07 PM, Candybee said:

I do what Litup does and use both kinds for my products. I used a staged photo for the master shot and a white background for the up close product shot.

One thing I have learned, if you are doing a staged shot natural lighting is almost always the best. Make sure your background' makes sense and shows your product the best. The product should always be the main focus prominently featured in the shot without major distractions. Also, if you have a lavender scented candle and want to use flowers in the shot it makes more sense to have lavender flowers than daisies in the shot. KWIM?

I would love to find real or real looking flowers all year round for product shots.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:26 AM, Trappeur said:

Ok, here is my unbiased opinion.

I love love 

Here is my unbiased opinion....

These photo shots you took with the stone backgrounds are absolutely beautiful!  Well done!    When you have a beautiful product such as these soaps and have a background such as these to me these backgrounds of stone actually "enhance" your soaps.  They are beautiful the soaps and you have just enough natural stone backgrounds in the pictures that have not distracted your soaps and these backgrounds "show off" your product to a product of " perfection and quality and quite classy.   Your eyes immediately gravitate to your soap product.   When I had my home furnishings store I would shop from the person who put the time and effort into a finished end product.  When I would go to buy for my store and traveled to wholesale shows I was always attracted to the person who made the presentation.  The booths that went all out and had a fabulous display are truly attention grabbers.    It's all about presentation, presentation, presentation.......And that is what you want...If someone had a gorgeous booth with stunning set up and had products such as yours displayed in, you had me at the word "go".  The other pictures you show with a white background, don't get offended...but they look just like everyone elses product....nothing special what so ever.....  Don't you want to stand out from the other person?  What would make the person stay on your site?    Now don't get me wrong...there are sites where the way they have their product displayed with white backgrounds that are absolutely gorgeous...I guess it's the shading of stark white backgrounds or the way the photographer actually styled the whole set up and can be done.   But after looking at your photo's and the white backgrounds....without a doubt, the stone background and not only just for a header on your website but for each product showcased.  If I was browsing through websites and wound up on yours, my first reaaction would be "wow!"  And I'd be stuck there trying to make decisions of what products I wanted to order because each one was as nice as the other and would have a hard time making up my mind...... I would stick with your original style you have going and don't change a thing!

One more thing.  You said it bothers you because the pictures are so in your face?     Geesh, you WANT them in your face!!  I can't stand looking at photos that are featured small...It bugs the heck out of me.  You can't see the quality and it's very irritating to me when people take far away photos like that.  Don't change a thing.  You want them up close.  Well done.

Trappeur

"Love your soaps"!!

That's so nice of you to say, thank you! 

The reason I've been considering the white backgrounds more now is because since I changed my soap packaging from colorful to plain, my soap sales have tripled. I feel like you can see the personality of the soaps now instead of the personality of the labels. I was wondering if the same concept holds true for websites.  

On 3/31/2018 at 7:51 AM, Crafty1_AJ said:

oceanmist2016.jpg

This is cute. I like the blurred background. And the color of your candle is so pretty.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeana said:

That's so nice of you to say, thank you! 

The reason I've been considering the white backgrounds more now is because since I changed my soap packaging from colorful to plain, my soap sales have tripled. I feel like you can see the personality of the soaps now instead of the personality of the labels. I was wondering if the same concept holds true for websites.  

Could you post a picture of the packaged soaps with the background of what you have chosen so we could see what the final picture result looks like?

Trappeur

7 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Could you post a picture of the packaged soaps with the background of what you have chosen so we could see what the final picture result looks like?

Trappeur

I will but its going to be like next month when I can sit down and work on my website. When I stated my sales were better it has been in my consignment stores, not on my website.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:49 PM, Jeana said:

I'm redoing my website soon and I'm torn with whether to just have the product with a white background or have something interesting and pretty in the pics with the products. The bigger sellers like Soaptopia, Sephora, Lush, Origins ...... all have just the product with the white background. And most handcrafted soap makers have a more artistic approach and include their soaps or candles in a setting for their pics. I’m torn, so I thought I would get some opinions. 

whatever you decide just make sure your product is the focal point. With this meant where your eyes are instantly drawn and focused on the intended object. I’ve seen so many staged pics that are beautiful but I rarely focus on the intended item for sale- which defeats the purpose of engaging my interest and desire to purchase. I prefer a clean simple picture that showcases the item. When purchased online I can not feel, touch, smell or see in person so my purchase would be on written description and visual photographed version only. 

Edited by Barefootgirl
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 11:17 PM, LitUp said:

Really you want both styles of picture, your product photos solos with a white background and also lifestyle shots.

Hi @LitUp, just wanted to say that you have a very nice website, product photos and product. Just visited you a few minutes ago. :hello:

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing I was about to update my website and all my pictures I know what I had in mine.  I saw an amazing deal on this studio setup 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W61JRL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

I paid $65 for it when it was on sale.  CRAZY

I also bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7ELA3G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

I then when to Joanne's and Michael's bought a few props and so excited how my pics look now.

studio.jpg

• Like 3

@MilosCandles That's a nice studio set up. I went to your website and the pics look really nice. They are very consistent. And the lighting looks good. So, you decided to go with the background sets instead of just the product with the white background. What made you chose that way? I'm still on the fence of which way to go. 

I had a couple light set ups, but someone broke into my storage cabinet outside my shop and stole all my photography lights :( I really don't want to buy it all again so i'm trying to improvise lately. 

@Laura C Yes they are on my website now - https://716candleco.com/shop  I was amazed how much better my pictures looked with this setup.  

@Jeana I just wanted a little something.  Nothing over powering,  I use the white base, and the wood back ground.  Easy to keep it consistent and easy to reproduce.

• Like 1