Rustic Look Help Needed

I just got my first pillar molds and some mottling wax! I'm stoked! I need some advice on how to get the rustic, mottled look when pouring. I did look up some directions, but they were kind of vague, so I thought I'd ask the experts here just exactly how to do this. Do I need to use any additives to the wax to get this effect? Do I really need a "mold release" to effectively get them out of the molds? 

I've made hundreds of soy candles, but this is a whole new animal for me. Thanks for any help! 

Bubble Wrap.jpg

The trick to pouring rustics is to pour on the cool side.  I use 1274 mottling wax exclusively but when I want to make rustics, I pour around 160-165 degrees and sometimes I even take some ice cubes and rub the mold right after pouring the various layers, if making layers rustics.  But then, I'm one that loves jump lines and I get those when using the ice cube rub.

If I want a mottled candle, I pour around 180-185 and cover the mold while it cools;  if I want rustic, I pour at the lower temp.

I do not need any additives with 1274.  Some waxes may require a heavier load of FO to get the mottle effect but 1274 does not.  

When I first started making candles, I use 1343 (I think) but to get a mottled candle, I had to up the FO load and there was no guarantee on what the mottling would look like.  (Personally, I prefer a full mottle, not mottle spots here and there)

I've never had to use a mold release.  

Can you tell us what mottling wax you are using.....that will help with the diagnosis :-)

• Like 2

Hopie, have you browsed the candle gallery?  There are a lot of pics there of rustics that might inspire you and give you some idea of what waxes and techniques were used.  The pic below is scented with Rose/patchouli, after pouring the 1st layer of red, I added a couple drops of darker dyes and went from there.  The candle gallery is your best friend -- browse it and if you see something you like and want to try to produce, just post your questions and we'll try to help :-)

RosePatch2.jpg.47d22cbde8b8d64dec08256daff5ff51.jpg

• Like 4

Pam those are really beautiful pillars. Those are the kind I like. Rustic looking layered candles. But I also like each layer to have a different scent so each scent melds into the next and they all compliment each other. I once had a cranberry, raspberry, blackberry candle like that that was awesome!

I absolutely love browsing the candle gallery and drooling over the candle pics posted by other members.  I have a designated folder on my computer titled ""candles to make""".

I, too, like to make the layers with different FO that compliment each other.......it gives the user a new experience that they cannot get from a store bought candle. I'll have to try your blend of cranberry, raspberry & blackberry....I'm always up for a new orgasmic experience..........lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam W said:

Hopie, have you browsed the candle gallery?  There are a lot of pics there of rustics that might inspire you and give you some idea of what waxes and techniques were used.  The pic below is scented with Rose/patchouli, after pouring the 1st layer of red, I added a couple drops of darker dyes and went from there.  The candle gallery is your best friend -- browse it and if you see something you like and want to try to produce, just post your questions and we'll try to help :-)

How did I miss these? Love the look!! 
Rustics are fairly easy once you get it down, but your wax needs to be playable, especially to get the mottle in there, though there are mottling waxes that you can use to make rustics with. Stearic is your friend with rustics as well as cool temps and cool or even cold molds, but you can also do a faux rustic too by adding wax into a cool mold and swishing it around a little. 

2 hours ago, Pam W said:

Oh my gosh!:shocked2:  Are these ever gorgeous!   I would paint my bedroom in colors to go just with those candles.   Love them.

Trappeur

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moonshine said:

This might help some 

I never made them but thought about it and came across this article when searching 

https://candletech.com/candle-making/tutorials/make-mottled-pillar-candles/

scented, JC and candybee have a lot of pillar experience so maybe they will chime in 

Thank you, and I love the candles they have pictured. It's a better tutorial than the one I read.

I got the 1274 mottling wax, so I did something right. I just love those pillars you made, Pam. That is the look I'm going for! They're beautiful! 

Yes, I have been surfing the candle gallery the past few nights, and I love all the creations pictured! So many talented candle makers here, glad I found this site. When I started making soy candles years ago, I just kept doing the trial and error method, which is so time consuming and expensive. Now, I feel so happy to get expert advice that I can't get elsewhere. Thank you all so much, I will let you know how this goes after I pour my first one. Need a few more supplies first. 

On 3/28/2018 at 9:37 PM, moonshine said:

Could you post a step by step tutorial?? 😂

OMG, that was so many years ago and I was a newbie so it's hard to remember what I did because I didn't keep notes.  But basically, I poured into cool molds and with each layer, I added a tiny bit of black to darken the red color(like a toothpick dipped in the black dye)  When I do this kind of candle, I rub the outside of the mold with ice cubes after the pour which helps in creating the jump lines.  (I know a lot of people feel that jump lines are a no-no but I love them.  It gives an added element to the  rustic candle.)

When pouring rustic candles, the excitement comes when you unmold the candle......you never know what you're going to get!!  So just pour some wax, rub the outside of the mold with ice cubes and then pour the next layer.  If you want to stay with the same color, just dip a tooth pick in the black dye which will darken the next layer if you want a gradient color.......but if you want to change the color, then make the next pour with whatever color you want.

There is nothing that you can do wrong......I've found that pouring ''off the cuff'' sometimes creates the most beautiful candles......just go for it, even if you think it's weird...do it and you may be surprised at what you get.  (and you know what, if the candle comes out ugly, then you burn it yourself and you do better next time....)    I don't sell but do share my candles with friends and relatives and what's odd is that when friends stop by get some candles, they always pick out what I consider  the ugly candles.....I'm guessing that they are unique and not available in the local stores.  Everyone seems to like something different......and of course, they always smell good.

• Thanks 1

I'm currently using 1274 mottling wax.  If I pour hot (180+) I get a nice full mottle.  If I want rustics then I pour into cool molds at around 160*, rub the mold with ice cubes immediately after the pour (if you want some jump lines to add character) I've posted several pics in the candle gallery over the years:  some of them were done with the 1274 mottling wax and some earlier ones were done with a mottling wax I purchased from Greenleaf before they closed....don't remember the name of the wax but it was so similar to IG 1274 that I didn't have to change anything in my method or formula.

I absolutely will not use 1343 wax to create mottles or rustics because being a basic wax, it takes too much FO to create the mottle so that's why 1274 is my chosen wax.

Scan the gallery for pics posted by Scented, JC, ..........oh hell, just look at everything because I can't remember the names of all the old time members that make absolutely beautiful mottles & rustic candles.

I'm gonna go scan the gallery to pick up on other members fabulous creations.....will go way back to 2005 which is where I started and got my inspirations........will bump any pics that fit the conversation.

Edited by Pam W

On 3/28/2018 at 5:40 PM, Scented said:

How did I miss these? Love the look!! 
Rustics are fairly easy once you get it down, but your wax needs to be playable, especially to get the mottle in there, though there are mottling waxes that you can use to make rustics with. Stearic is your friend with rustics as well as cool temps and cool or even cold molds, but you can also do a faux rustic too by adding wax into a cool mold and swishing it around a little. 

Yep, stearic was always added.  These particular candles kinda relates to another thread on scents that we really don't like to pour.  These were scented with Peak's Rose Bouquet and patchouli........the patch toned down the heavy scent of the Rose and even today, I wished I had kept these for myself.......kwim?????    But, since I have all the ingredients I may just go pour some for myself and enjoy the nostalgia....

Ya know, in the long run, I'm impressed with every blend I pour because it's something new, cannot be purchased from the local store is one of a kind...it's ALL mine!!

46 minutes ago, Scented said:

I love patchouli rose and have yet to make a good one. It's probably because I don't have a decent rose to play with. Did you go 2:1 with patch to rose if I may ask or 3:1?

Like I remember...lol.  Just guessing, but I'm thinking I went by smell....added a few drop of Rose then a few drops of patch until it smelled right.......lot of help I am, right????????

Edited by Pam W

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, Candybee said:

Do you have pics you could share? Would love to see them. I have done rustic but not rustic mottles.

Tons! Let me get to my personal computer tonight and upload some. But in the mean time, let me get the ones from BC's site I did for you! :)

IGI 1274 Mottle Pillar/Votive Blend

IGI 1343 Straight Paraffin Wax

IGI 1239 Straight Paraffin Wax

• Like 4