Soy wax back to normal???

I read a lot of post on here mentioning soy wax had a lot of problems. That is the sole wax I used when I made candles oh about 15  years ago. I’m getting ready to order some wax to start back up so I’ve been researching other waxes because the whole soy wax issues have kind of scared me off. I keep leaning back to soy since it’s what I knew. I read how they have factories now dedicate just to making soy wax now so has that solve the problems with the soy wax or is it still unpredictable? I mean any wax can be different slightly between batches especially vegetable because the crops are different but it seem like a lot of people was having really bad results so I just kind a wanted some feedback before I jump into it because I don’t wanna keep changing it I won’t kind of stick to one wax and perfect it again. Also it’s taking me multiple months to get the money up to get supplies so I really don’t want to fail horribly since I need it to make it work. TIA

edit: I’m leaning towards EzSoy since that’s which one I preferred in the past after trial and testing. I’m open to others though.   

Edited by Barefootgirl

This has not been resolved with the batches I've received.  Maybe some companies have but I haven't seen it back to normal.  I'm testing each batch of wax for any candles I make with it and each batch seems to have something quirky about it.  It's not just the typical batch difference, this is changing the wicks, additives, etc.  I use C3 so Ezsoy may be different

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't bought any new lots of my soy lately but what I do have I can say it just isn't the same or typical soy behavior at all from the last many years I've been using it- 415 that is 

I have bought several other soys and although I can't say I have used them in the past to be able to compare but being a soy user for over 10 years I can say I have never seen anything like this before - the new ones I'm testing are all over the map as well 

444 is very different from my first lot than the new ones I have soooo 🤷‍♀️

All I can say is order the smallest amount possible of EZ soy and see what you think from when you used it before 

• Thanks 1

I was hoping after they figured out a way to manufacture it separate from the food industry it would just be an additive issue maybe. However, if 415 is still acting funky I guess that’s not the case- 415 is straight soy right just like ezsoy? Wishful thinking  🤔 

Is soy causing problems in wax melts too or is it just more so the wicking? I think I’ve seen both applications being mentioned as far as leaving unsmooth tops even when pouring at temps where they should be smooth. 

Im really torn since I had such great results with soy once I got it there years ago. Sad it’s a whole different creature now it seems than it use to be.  I might just scrap soy and try my hand at palm instead. I am just leary about making melts with palm that don’t melt as desired. The container candles I think will take practice but seems doable with palm with no issues after experience. 

It’s stressing me out to make the wrong move. 

Just be thankful your aware of this before hand 😂

Figuring this out in the middle of season when you had stock made with it unaware is not cool - as far as melts with 415 I saw no difference at all myself but I blended with PB (the old PB- I won't touch the new stuff for nothing) but there have been complaints with 416 with melts that I know of and I tried it myself and it is pretty ugly

there is a good thread in here with all the issues people have had - once you figure out wicking again some are satisfied with the results - myself, I am not- so that's why I sugggest you try it in a small quantity and see what you think or you will keep thinking about "what if" jumping into something new off the bat - if it's totally different and you hate it the decision to move on will be much easier - ask me how I know 😉

• Thanks 1

I don't think 415 will be going back to the way it was before. If I recall, it changed because of the removal of trans fats? I did talk to the wax lab at AAK a few times, but I need to dig out my notes.

I have about 10 cases left from the pallet I got in Aug. I am not looking forward to ordering more, I'll probably have nightmares when it's time. That being said, this batch I have has been good, in fact I often wish I had started with this new 415 all those years ago. Aside from retesting everything(which has been absolutely miserable), the wax itself has given me good results as far as throw. But, so far, everything is wicking down, except one fragrance that is wicking up so much I have to dump it. It also is very fussy for pouring, which takes more time to mess with so my output is decreased.

As Moonshine said, be thankful you know this ahead of time. If not for this board I would have been unprepared and totally screwed. You guys rock!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

Is soy causing problems in wax melts too or is it just more so the wicking? I think I’ve seen both applications being mentioned as far as leaving unsmooth tops even when pouring at temps where they should be smooth. 

Im really torn since I had such great results with soy once I got it there years ago. Sad it’s a whole different creature now it seems than it use to be.  I might just scrap soy and try my hand at palm instead. I am just leary about making melts with palm that don’t melt as desired. The container candles I think will take practice but seems doable with palm with no issues after experience. 

It’s stressing me out to make the wrong move. 

I haven't had near the problems with melts, but I do get a slight indentation in the top of the clamsell that I'm learning to embrace like a wet spot.  Most of my problem has been with wicking to get it t burn close to where I was before these issues arrived.

• Thanks 1

On a side note- I’m sort of laughing at myself through my heightened anxiety today. This wax decision is seriously stressing me out way more than wax should to any person lol. Which is probably making my anxiety peak due to this silly wax stress lol. Told myself I’m picking it by noon and ordering it. Maybe I should just blend the palm and soy... then I can’t complain or contemplate on if I should of chosen the other. Oh anxiety you’re not cool. 

Well so far, I'm managing with 464.  Yes, there is a difference and yes I have had to downsize a wick in one jar.  Another jar I went from 3 cd 7 then down to 3 cd 5 and being I found the cd 5 could have been another size down and I couldn't do it with a cd 4 (due to the wicks drowning out) I now have gone from 3 wicks to 2 wicks and that now works for me.  Now I have always used 6% oil.  I now am using 1.2 % oil and believe or not I'm getting some damn good killer throws.  But I also have had to weed out some scents that worked before that really just don't work for me now.  No sense spittering and sputtering about it.....just gotta move on make it work and I'm doing it.

Trappeur

14 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Well so far, I'm managing with 464.  Yes, there is a difference and yes I have had to downsize a wick in one jar.  Another jar I went from 3 cd 7 then down to 3 cd 5 and being I found the cd 5 could have been another size down and I couldn't do it with a cd 4 (due to the wicks drowning out) I now have gone from 3 wicks to 2 wicks and that now works for me.  Now I have always used 6% oil.  I now am using 1.2 % oil and believe or not I'm getting some damn good killer throws.  But I also have had to weed out some scents that worked before that really just don't work for me now.  No sense spittering and sputtering about it.....just gotta move on make it work and I'm doing it.

Trappeur

You use 1.2 % of FO ?????

Which oils did you have to ditch ?

Edited by Moonstar