VERY bad soot residue from zinc core/6006

My setup is a 16oz country comfort glass jar double wicked with zinc core 44-32-18, using 6006 wax with mostly candle science or natures garden FO.

I have noticed extreme sooting.  It's on my ceiling, walls, when I blow my nose I have soot in my nose.  I keep the wicks trimmed to 1/8-1/4" and if I go any smaller in wicks they don't stay lit.  It's so frustrating because now I'm sitting on about 100 candles that I don't want to burn or sell.  The jars themselves aren't getting sooted, it just ends up everywhere else.

I used a parasoy blend with zinc wicks for years and also never experienced anything like that. I was going to ask the same questions Flicker asked.

Something else the OP mentions is that the soot is not appearing on the jars but on the walls, ceiling of the house. This does not make sense to me. If the candle is producing excessive soot the first sign would  be blackish soot near the top or mouth of the jar.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flicker said:

I have used that wax for about 15 years and NEVER had anything remotely like that.

How much scent are you adding to what amount of wax? Also, how long are you burning each time?

16 oz wax and using 1 oz FO. around 4 hours average burn time probably. Happened at my house and 2 other peoples who used them.

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I used a parasoy blend with zinc wicks for years and also never experienced anything like that. I was going to ask the same questions Flicker asked.

Something else the OP mentions is that the soot is not appearing on the jars but on the walls, ceiling of the house. This does not make sense to me. If the candle is producing excessive soot the first sign would  be blackish soot near the top or mouth of the jar.

Exactly this.

any soot thrown from the candle begins to show on the jar rim early. You can see the soot streaming from the top over the flames.

something else is going on.

• Like 1