An order I received

11 hours ago, Scented said:

Well I thought I might at least have some that was tabbed because we were wick collectors at one point in time, but I don't have those sizes. 

Thank you for looking! 

@Candybee actually pointed out that C&S carries spooled CD wicking, so I put in an order last night. :) YAY Hopefully it will all come by this weekend so I can play play play. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, TallTayl said:

Is exactly how my accounting works. 

When receiving items I apportion the freight across all items, that way I know exactly how much an ingredient costs.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:13 PM, Scented said:

We figure ours on all items in a shipment based on cost per ounce or piece type of thing. That way shipping/freight is in there when we figure our cost per item. 

I have a question that has really got me puzzled. Hypothetically, let's say that a guy you know purchased a 1 oz. bottle of Candle Science liquid yellow dye. He puts in one drop of the dye in a 10 oz capacity mold, and no more, because he is satisfied with what he sees. Later in the day he begins to put the cost of the color into his template that figures his cost and  retail. Then it dawns on him that he has no idea how to calculate a 1-drop quantity. Is there a way to figure that or should he just pitch all his liquid dyes, use color blocks instead and just move on down the road?

Q

3 hours ago, Quentin said:

I have a question that has really got me puzzled. Hypothetically, let's say that a guy you know purchased a 1 oz. bottle of Candle Science liquid yellow dye. He puts in one drop of the dye in a 10 oz capacity mold, and no more, because he is satisfied with what he sees. Later in the day he begins to put the cost of the color into his template that figures his cost and  retail. Then it dawns on him that he has no idea how to calculate a 1-drop quantity. Is there a way to figure that or should he just pitch all his liquid dyes, use color blocks instead and just move on down the road?

Q

I don't know how many drops are in a 1 oz bottle, because I keep losing count. I would just divide your costs according to what they say for pounds, but break your pounds down to ounces, since you're using a 10 oz weight. 

And don't pitch your liquid dyes or color blocks ... if you love color. ONLY pitch liquid colors that don't give you the color they are supposed to. For example, I once had a black dye that would give me only purple, even at 20 drops to a pound of wax, which is excessive ... it got pitched (fortunately the supplier was willing to replace my bottle of dye.)

The royal pain is to take everything down to an xyz weight, but once you have what you think is correct ... you shouldn't have to do it again unless you trade in 1 oz for 4 oz. 

Seriously I haven't been able to count the drops in a bottle and if I could ever do it, how I use dye ... I'd wonder if 1) I got a real drop, half drop, too much of a drop, 1/4 drop and 2) how do I know I used up all the dye, because I can forever get color on a chopstick. I finally ditched two bottles because I prefer eye droppers instead of the chopsticks sometimes. 

For an expense like liquid dye which is difficult to quantify usage I just add that to the general cost of candle making for the year. I have bottles of liquid candle dyes I purchased over 10 yrs ago that aren't even half used up. Most don't even look like they have been used at all.

Anyway by doing this I have accounted for the cost as a whole for that tax year so there is no need to try and figure out cost per drop from year to year.

The production cost of liquid dye is so negligible I do what @Candybee does, and calculate what I buy for that year for tax purposes under misc. and move on. (IAlso like Candy, I have only bought liquid dye once, in every color available at the time Peak first offered them, over 15 years ago, and have never had to buy more since. I rarely use more than 3-4 drops per pound of wax)

Otherwise, to calculate for production I would have to put in some ridiculous cost of .000000000000000000000000001 cent per drop. (might be an exaggeration, might not be, IDK I don't calculate it into my production cost) 

ETA: I meant to add that I also do this for my Mica's with soap, because I don't use very much per batch of soap either

Edited by Jcandleattic

29 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I account for it as about a penny a candle generally. For soap about a nickel for mica. Yes an overestimate, but it keeps the COGS numbers favorable.

How do you get your micas so cheap? I sat down and figured out the actual cost per level tsp of my micas and the average cost came out to $ .10 cents. I try to buy in larger quantities than an ounce too.

I used to do the $ .01 cent cost per candle for dye a few years back... but then I started buying dye chips and now its much easier to quantify the cost. Chips cost more but they work better for me in palm than the liquid. The liquids tend to morph the scent on me so I quit using them in my palm candles.

• 7 months later...
On 3/5/2018 at 8:58 AM, Trappeur said:

Well being that we are talking about costs and accounting here is how I figure up my wholesale pricing and what I found works best for me.

Case of Jars:  21.99 (a case) x (4 cases ordered at a time) plus shipping and tax is 124.14

124.14 divided by 4 cases (48 jars) comes to 2.58 a jar (my cost)

I always round up so my cost per jar is 2.75 a jar.  (Gives me a little e way)

Note:  I never order 1 case of jars from anyone.  It's always at least 4 cases

Wax - 50 pounds at 56.49 plus shipping and tax is 88.37

88.37 divided by 50 pounds makes the wax 1.76 a pound

Fragrance oils cost

I figure 20.00 a 1 pound bottle plus shipping and tax is 21.63

21.63 divided by 16 oz in a pound makes this oil 1.35 cost per ounce of oil.

1 wick:    10 cents

l label:     25 cents

Caution Label:   5 cents

So my cost to make 1 candle jar based on the jar being a 16oz jar:

1 jar:     2.75

Wax      1.76

Oil:        1.35

Wick:      .10

Label:     .25

Caution:  .05

Cost:    6.26

I charge 12.50 to the shop (my wholesale price)

I see they retail to the customer usually around 26.00 to  28.00 a jar. 

@Trappeur It all makes sense,  but where is the cost of dye. Figuring in blocks and chips is a cinch, but how do you figure in the cost of liquid dye? How much is a "drop", how many drops are in a bottle? I'm sure the cost is tiny. I could probably ignore it completely, but it annoys me to not know what it costs me and how to figure it.:confused:

Never mind my last post. DISREGARD! Re-reading this thread, I see where my question was answered. I just forgot. 

1 hour ago, Quentin said:

@Trappeur It all makes sense,  but where is the cost of dye. Figuring in blocks and chips is a cinch, but how do you figure in the cost of liquid dye? How much is a "drop", how many drops are in a bottle? I'm sure the cost is tiny. I could probably ignore it completely, but it annoys me to not know what it costs me and how to figure it.:confused:

Sorry for the inconvenience.:embarassed2: Moving on...