An order I received

I just received my order for 3 bottles of oils.  Wouldn't you say the box they shipped the 3 oils in is rather large for these 3 bottles?*shudder*  The box is the exact size of a 50pound box of wax but 1" shorter in height.  You can see the wax box sitting right behind the box that the oils came in.  Shipping was 23.00.

Trappeur

CIMG0308.thumb.JPG.7226cfad738bd49462c2f6035f48be37.JPG

Isn't that something?   I thought the same thing too.   If I order 1 bottle of oil the price is the same for shipping too....22.41 for shipping 1 bottle.....unbelievable.....

I wonder if they ship in the same size box....

I was pricing out the shipping on the oils and these are the prices...

1 bottle:             22.42

2 to 4 bottles:   22.41

5 bottles:           22.42

6 bottles :          18.16  (Now why would 6 bottles ship cheaper.......)

7 bottles:          25.66

Trappeur

That's crazy.  I don't understand how some placed decide on shipping.  I quit ordering from some places because of the crazy shipping charges unless I  need a bunch of stuff then I'll bulk order.

I have an old school supplier like that. Glass bottles from this particular place require more protection, and have a max of 6# per shipping box. They ship fedex, so it makes no sense for me to order fewer than 6 because the shipping will be the same for 1# as 6#.

could also be a strategy to get people to order more to make their average order size worthwhile. The bubble wrap and risk are higher than PET.

ETA, for glass to ship safely, it needs an absurd amount of dunnage to qualify for insurance from the shipper. If you have a few empty glass 1lb bottles, fill them with water, pack into a smaller box as if being shipped by more economical means. Then drop the box from shoulder height to a concrete floor a couple of times. This imitates the automated packing lines of most shippers. After one or two drops the bottle will shatter. No shipper will pay out insurance unless the bottles are packed according to the DOT rules complete with a minimum amount of packing material between the items and box sides. 

• Like 5

Yes, but you would think that when you open the box the 3 bottles that were well wrapped in bubble wrap would be in the middle of all the popcorn which the entire box was filled with but the 3 bottles were laying on the bottom of the box on top of the cardboard instead of wedged in between all the popcorn.   They very well could have shattered but luck went out with that box.  No biggy.  If came damaged all it would take would be a phone call.  I was just very surprised to receive a box the exact size as 50pounds of wax with 3 bottles laying on the bottom and you could actually shake the box and feel the oils moving around in the box.  I have received other orders but never this size box.  Well it is what it is.  But I loved my oils!   Orange dreamsicle and Balsam fir.....Next week I'm ordering a bunch of new ones and this time I'll get 8 of them!

Trappeur

• Like 1

I was going to order some wicks the other day from a place I've never ordered from before. 2 spools, less than 1lb and they wanted $24 in shipping, for FedEx ground. They didn't offer USPS, so I have to wait until I can think of more stuff I want from them before I order just wicks... 

I hate it that things like wicks or dye chips have to be ordered like an afterthought.

Trappeur I've had this happen to me before too a while back. The box was humongous but it only contained a few lbs of oils. I just assumed they were out of smaller boxes at the time it was packed. Rather the box was oversized than too small thou. Had that happen before too and was amazed nothing broke.

• Like 1

Funny you should say that Candybee because that is what I thought too. lol

It's funny cause when I went to feed the horses and cats last night when I pulled up to the barn there was the box and the first thing I thought was Flaming sent me a box of wax for free as I didn't have any wax coming from them this week.   I actually bent down to pickup the box and took a deep breath to get ready to pick up 50 pounds to walk to my truck with it and I was so prepared for it that I fell backwards as it was so light.  And then I saw it was my oils from Fillmore.  I got that order in 1 day....how that happened I don't know but I'm not complaining.

Trappeur

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

popcorn/peanuts are the worst for glass.... unless they are packed incredibly tightly to prevent any movement inside at all. most don't pack correctly. :(

I agree on that.  When I ship I pack tight so you can drop the box and nothing breaks.  I use tons of bubble wrap and plastic baggies and paper to really cushion the jars plus I bubble wrap all the jars separately also.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Fillmore... that sort of explains it. They always pack in large boxes. You should see the box my cases of glassware come in. Even FOs are packed like they are nitro glycerin cradled in cardboard, double wrapped in large bubble wrap, and packed in a truckload of peanuts. I love their packaging thou. Never had anything break from Fillmore in transit.:lol:

Edited by Candybee
  • Haha 1

One of the reasons I love ordering from Flaming aside from the fact they are 2 hours away from me (I've never been there yet, but 1 day I will), but when I order from them every week, I always have a box of wax , lids, wicks, stickums and oils on the order.  They double box my orders.  Everything I just stated goes in 1 box including the wax.  They bubble wrap extremely well the oils and even put them in the actual box of wax.  I know that could be a bad thing if one of those bottles ever leaked but so far so good.  Good padding right there for the oils.  Now on top of the box of wax in the outer box they put the lids, stickums, wicks and whatever else they can into the same box and shipping is stellar!  I don't know of any other company that does that but there may be, but I haven't come across one yet.  They used to send out boxes of wax just in that box with no outer box and I remember 1 day when I went to the barn there was this 1 box of wax split at the seams and you could actually see the bag that holds the wax busting through the box.  Man oh man, I could just see that UPs driver carrying it to the porch of the barn and that box collapsing in his arms and wax spilling out on the ground!.  Man, that would have been a friggin mess!  Ever since then, waxes are always double boxed.....well wait a sec....I lied....just 2 weeks ago, I did receive a box of wax but it wasn't double boxed.  Someone goofed on that when shipping out!

Trappeur

Oh Candybee, b/4 I forget, please don't get mad at me......lol...I haven't gone to town to mail out that Luxe Linen I told you I would.  Tomorrow I'm going to do it....Don't give up on me!  Sorry.

Trappeur

1 minute ago, Jcandleattic said:

ugh - put a case of wax in my cart to ship with my wicks - total $76 - with shipping $145 - the shipping is as much as the product itself. I need to reconsider ordering from there. :( 

Geesh!  That rots!

A case of wax, 100 wicks, 48 lids, 4 1 pound oils, some wick stickums, some UV.....shipping to me $27.00 and change.....I order today and it's here tomorrow.  I'm lucky.  I used to order all from Candle Science but unfortunately Flaming has much better shipping and we gotta do what we gotta do to save $$$$.  But no 2 ways about it, Candle Science  has beautiful oils and I still get from them.

Trappeur

5 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Oh Candybee, b/4 I forget, please don't get mad at me......lol...I haven't gone to town to mail out that Luxe Linen I told you I would.  Tomorrow I'm going to do it....Don't give up on me!  Sorry.

Trappeur

No problem. Haven't walked out to my mailbox for days anyway.

Just now, Trappeur said:

Geesh!  That rots!

A case of wax, 100 wicks, 48 lids, 4 1 pound oils, some wick stickums, some UV.....shipping to me $27.00 and change.....I order today and it's here tomorrow.  I'm lucky.  I used to order all from Candle Science but unfortunately Flaming has much better shipping and we gotta do what we gotta do to save $$$$.  But no 2 ways about it, Candle Science  has beautiful oils and I still get from them.

Trappeur

I know for me it's just because I got used to no shipping charges at all when Peak was here and carried my wax. They were like a 2 minute walk from where I worked, (so driving I could get there in less than a minute) It was soooo nice! 

I haven't had to order wax in EON's because when I got it from them, I would order 5 cases at a time, drive my hubs truck to work, load it up at lunch and be done with it. I still have about 30 lbs left, from the last time I ordered, but that won't get me through this next busy season, so was going to order some more. Nope, not at that shipping price. It's too much. I'll figure something out. 

See it's funny for me because if I order 50lbs wax from CS - it's $33 to ship, gets to me in 2 days. If I start adding on oils (I just put in 4lbs), the shipping jumps up to $49 whereas I just put the same in my cart at Flaming and from 5lbs wax at $42 to ship, it went up to $43 when I added on the 4lbs of oils. So much more economical if I'm ordering multiple items from Flaming (which is a vendor I don't really use except for wicks). 

But, trying to be as environmentally friendly as I can be, I try to order as much from CS as possible because it's so close to me (and I'm happy with the quality) whereas the only misbehaving wax I've ever had was from Flaming. 

I would happily order these wicks somewhere else, but I've never been able to find this wick in spooling from anywhere else, and everywhere else that has these wicks tabbed are only 6" long and that's too short for my pillar molds, unless I short wick them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Yes, but you would think that when you open the box the 3 bottles that were well wrapped in bubble wrap would be in the middle of all the popcorn which the entire box was filled with but the 3 bottles were laying on the bottom of the box on top of the cardboard instead of wedged in between all the popcorn.   They very well could have shattered but luck went out with that box.  No biggy.  If came damaged all it would take would be a phone call.  I was just very surprised to receive a box the exact size as 50pounds of wax with 3 bottles laying on the bottom and you could actually shake the box and feel the oils moving around in the box.  I have received other orders but never this size box.  Well it is what it is.  But I loved my oils!   Orange dreamsicle and Balsam fir.....Next week I'm ordering a bunch of new ones and this time I'll get 8 of them!

Trappeur

Are the oils from Fillmore?

11 hours ago, jbradshaw said:

See it's funny for me because if I order 50lbs wax from CS - it's $33 to ship, gets to me in 2 days. If I start adding on oils (I just put in 4lbs), the shipping jumps up to $49 whereas I just put the same in my cart at Flaming and from 5lbs wax at $42 to ship, it went up to $43 when I added on the 4lbs of oils. So much more economical if I'm ordering multiple items from Flaming (which is a vendor I don't really use except for wicks). 

But, trying to be as environmentally friendly as I can be, I try to order as much from CS as possible because it's so close to me (and I'm happy with the quality) whereas the only misbehaving wax I've ever had was from Flaming. 

Interesting. What do you mean by misbehaving?