How do I convert jar lid into a pump lid

Candybee

I know I have seen this somewhere. Hoping someone here knows how to do it. I want to take a regular ball mason type jar with the metal screw on thread lid and add a lotion pump to it. I know you make a hole in the lid but what else? Anybody know how? or have a DIY vid link? Thanks.

Edited by Candybee

Watched a couple and the one I like best is using a needle nose plyer and hammer to make the hole. I am not going to buy an expensive pump set kit or invest in an expensive drill to make the hole either so I think the hammer and plyer method are the best.

What I don't like about that method is the sharp metal edges it leaves around the hole on the underside of the lid. You can hammer them down to make it flat but I am thinking it needs something circular glued on the underneath over the metal edge to keep the underside safe from cutting skin when you wash the jar or change out the jar contents. Like a rubber gasket or something similar glued over it. Any other ideas?

I know I've seen it somewhere where it's seems very easy, inexpensive, and not a lot of time or effort but the results are fabulous. I honestly just cannot remember where I saw it. I know it wasn't YouTube because it wasn't a video but step by step written instructions with pictures. I'm still trying to remember, and look to see if I have anything, and will let you know if I come across it. 

• Like 1

Oh that sounds great. Hope you remember.

So I tried the double lid method and although its doable you see the imperfect circular edge and it looks so junky and amateur. A gasket or something will cover that hole up and look more professional and also get rid of the jagged metal that could cut.

There is a collar that gets screwed onto the pump with the metal lid in the middle.  If you have a pump that doesn't have threads, there are collars that glue onto the bottom of the metal lid.  This way, the hole in the lid is covered top and bottom; you don't see any rough edges.  Here is one source with the collars:  http://www.onedreamdesign.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_8

I did read somewhere that people had problems with the lids rusting, so I would spray with a rust preventative paint before assembling.

GoldieMN

• Like 1