Explanation needed

•  
  • CS Authors
  • 576 posts

I need some help please, I have a customer  that purchaser a couple candles about 2 months ego she said that she left the candles  uncover for almost a month and half and when she burn them they had no smell, The fragrance was Lilac from CS Lilac & Cinnamon buns

from NG I use C3  & i do know that both off those scents do throw very good. and a good seller Is it passable because she left them open the scent to evaporate 

Edited by sherry

It could be due to any number of variables. C3 has become challenging to wick for good HT. 

What wicks and size?

what type of container?

what size container?

is she burning them in a place where the cold air returns suck the scented air out of the Room?

I don't make candles but, uh, yanno, WHERE she left them "uncovered" for a month might be an important bit of info...

Like, when one of my customers was telling me that my soap was really weakly scented, covered in orange dots (I had a FLIP'N HEART ATTACK at that one), and they didn't want to use it to try it out...

Me: "(Wait... whut?)"  "You didn't try it?"

Customer: "No, it smells a little gamy, like used cooking oil or someth'n..." 

Me: "I'll get you fresh bar, but can you bring me the soap so I can take a look at it?" 

Customer: "Yeah sure... One sec... (Goes over to van and pulls bar off of dash board) Here, see what I mean?"

Me: "Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.... no.... You can't..."

3 months on a black dash board in FLORIDA... Yeah, that'll make just about ANYTHING smell a little gamy...  

SO, did they leave the candles uncovered for a month on their dashboard in full sunlight? 

And scientists were AMAZED!

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It could be due to any number of variables. C3 has become challenging to wick for good HT. 

What wicks and size?

what type of container?

what size container?

is she burning them in a place where the cold air returns suck the scented air out of the Room?

She said the candles smell so good in the kitchen & bedroom that's why  she left them uncover  this is  same jar it's 2.3/4 wide CDN 10 for Lilac CDN 12 for Cinnamon sticks now I have been making candles from 2007 and this is a first for me

IMG_0666 (373x500).jpg

Certain chemicals can pull a fragrance right out of a candle. Was there an air freshener in the area/room the candle was in? Where were the candles left? What was the environment like? How long did she burn the candles after they had been sitting uncovered? Was there an HVAC vent nearby, fan, exhaust fan, air intake duct, or draft of any kind? Did you use any additives besides fragrance in your candles? You need more information.

If you can retrieve the candle you can run some tests on it yourself to see what's what. If she is a good customer and there is a significant amount of the candle left you could offer to exchange it in exchange for the old candle back to run tests on.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I don't make candles but, uh, yanno, WHERE she left them "uncovered" for a month might be an important bit of info...

Like, when one of my customers was telling me that my soap was really weakly scented, covered in orange dots (I had a FLIP'N HEART ATTACK at that one), and they didn't want to use it to try it out...

Me: "(Wait... whut?)"  "You didn't try it?"

Customer: "No, it smells a little gamy, like used cooking oil or someth'n..." 

Me: "I'll get you fresh bar, but can you bring me the soap so I can take a look at it?" 

Customer: "Yeah sure... One sec... (Goes over to van and pulls bar off of dash board) Here, see what I mean?"

Me: "Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.... no.... You can't..."

3 months on a black dash board in FLORIDA... Yeah, that'll make just about ANYTHING smell a little gamy...  

SERIOUSLY?  Leaving soap on a dashboard?  ???  

10 hours ago, sherry said:

She said the candles smell so good in the kitchen & bedroom that's why  she left them uncover  this is  same jar it's 2.3/4 wide CDN 10 for Lilac CDN 12 for Cinnamon sticks now I have been making candles from 2007 and this is a first for me

IMG_0666 (373x500).jpg

CSN 10 and cdn12 wicks are pretty small for C3. It could be that the candles have just cured long enough to require a slighter bigger (or different) wick series to throw. Do you have any of them left in your Stock? Have you burned any lately to see how they perform?

I apologize for been late, I replace the candle and ask her to send hers back and this is what      she said  when she was putting the jar in the box to return it fell and broke so a said enjoy the new one you got and that was it 

40 minutes ago, sherry said:

I apologize for been late, I replace the candle and ask her to send hers back and this is what      she said  when she was putting the jar in the box to return it fell and broke so a said enjoy the new one you got and that was it 

What a shame, now you can't test the wax.   If it wasn't for the broken glass part of the story, it would be good if you could at least get the wax returned for testing.

On 2/22/2018 at 5:28 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I have asked how someone likes a soap and they tell me something to the effect of 'Oh it's still in the car.'
I'm thinking about adding a storage statement to my label. Maybe something like:

WARNING! To reduce chance of schism formations in long established relationships store in a cool, dry, dimly lit, secret location that only YOU know about... 

1 hour ago, Sponiebr said:

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I have asked how someone likes a soap and they tell me something to the effect of 'Oh it's still in the car.'
I'm thinking about adding a storage statement to my label. Maybe something like:

WARNING! To reduce chance of schism formations in long established relationships store in a cool, dry, dimly lit, secret location that only YOU know about... 

😂😂😂🤣🤣

On 2/22/2018 at 5:28 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

lol, really seriously?   Now I would be embarrassed to even tell the person who made what a rediculous thing I did.  Some people just have no kooth!

Trappeur

I try to remember to tell customers who buy 3-12 bars at a time to store them in a cool, dry place away from direct light sources since they are obviously stocking up.  

Two of my favorite customer stories...sweet little old lady comes up to buy a bar of soap.  I hand her the bag and give a friendly reminder to make sure the bar is well-drained between uses and not left sitting in a puddle.  Her response, "Oh I'm not going to use it in the bath.  It's for my underwear drawer."  LOL  Then I once had a cute little boy come up to my booth and marvel at the candles.  "How do you get them to smell so good?  Do you, like, squeeze pine needles or something?"  :D  I stifled a grin and politely explained how we scent candles.  :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I try to remember to tell customers who buy 3-12 bars at a time to store them in a cool, dry place away from direct light sources since they are obviously stocking up.  

Two of my favorite customer stories...sweet little old lady comes up to buy a bar of soap.  I hand her the bag and give a friendly reminder to make sure the bar is well-drained between uses and not left sitting in a puddle.  Her response, "Oh I'm not going to use it in the bath.  It's for my underwear drawer."  LOL  Then I once had a cute little boy come up to my booth and marvel at the candles.  "How do you get them to smell so good?  Do you, like, squeeze pine needles or something?"  :D  I stifled a grin and politely explained how we scent candles.  :) 

I get those all the time , But I think this lady was looking for another brand new candle for her self

or another person 

1 hour ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Very cute stories...love!

Trappeur

On 2/26/2018 at 10:19 PM, birdcharm said:

What a shame, now you can't test the wax.   If it wasn't for the broken glass part of the story, it would be good if you could at least get the wax returned for testing.

Well, too bad...too you couldn't have told her to still send back to you broken....so you could test it.  She could have been telling you the truth and then maybe not.  Who knows..  Well, it was only a bar of soap.   You provided great customer service!

Trappeur