How do you wick large batches?

Being a systems engineer processes interest me and the one that is currently on my mind is how to wick a large number of containers. The most I’ve ever wicked at one time is probably three and the idea of trying to get the wicks centered in a large number of containers seems like a tedious, time consuming operation. Another reason I ask is because I am toying with the idea of starting a candle business in a year of two and I like to know what I’m getting into before I make any decisions. The thread about “whatcha using to melt that wax” scared me a little.

Candle making is tedious. You need to handle each one several times throughout the process. 

When making a batch, generally 100 at a time, I line up the containers, set the wicks on the bottoms with a permanent sealant, and use a wick bar on th top to hold it taut. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Candle making is tedious. You need to handle each one several times throughout the process. 

When making a batch, generally 100 at a time, I line up the containers, set the wicks on the bottoms with a permanent sealant, and use a wick bar on th top to hold it taut. 

Clearly you are better at centering wicks than I am, perhaps I will improve with experience.

Like Tall, I wick about 100 at a time. I use a high temp industrial hot glue (friend works for an adhesives co!) that melts in a little vat thing. I dip the wick, insert it in my wicking tool and blamo! drop the plunger in the jar and press, on to the next. I can do 100 in no time. I grab from the box and line up, wick, next

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wick candles by the case. Usually several 8-12 cases at a time so that can be as many as 144 candes at a time.  My process is to flip the box upside down and all the jars come out of the box at the same time. I do this for several cases at a time. Then wick each jar seperately. I used to use the wick setter pictured above but found I am much faster using a simple ball point pen casing to string the wick through and I eyeball the center where I secure the wick. I've been doing this so many years its the fastest process for me. I hate wicking candles but it really doesn't take so long if you do several cases at a time in a production line.

I usually wick, pour, and label all the candles in one day. Once they are labeled they go right back into the empty boxes and are packed up in my storage room. Often the candles are still warm when I box them but have cooled enough the wax is solid.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

used to use the wick setter pictured above but found I am much faster using a simple ball point pen casing to string the wick through and I eyeball the center where I secure the wick.

I was just eyeing the EZ wick setter, but your trick sounds genius...I'm going to give it a try!

17 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I also use the wick setter. I love that little gadget. For me, it's easier than using the hollowed out ball point pen, (which is what I did when I first started making candles) because I'm just not good at centering just by looking at it. 

You couldn't be as bad as I am. I draw a circle the size of my container and put a dot in the middle so I can see exactly where to put the wick, I still get it wrong half the time.

2 minutes ago, Forrest said:

You couldn't be as bad as I am. I draw a circle the size of my container and put a dot in the middle so I can see exactly where to put the wick, I still get it wrong half the time.

I tried that system many a time like how you do it Forest, but I found the way you position your body over the piece of paper trying to land  the jar on top of it is very misleading and you could be way off and I quickly eliminated that process as it was not an accurate system for me what so ever.  I eyeball my wicks into the center of the jar.  I have been at this for many years so I pretty much have this system down for me.

Trappeur

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I tried that system many a time like how you do it Forest, but I found the way you position your body over the piece of paper trying to land  the jar on top of it is very misleading and you could be way off and I quickly eliminated that process as it was not an accurate system for me what so ever.  I eyeball my wicks into the center of the jar.  I have been at this for many years so I pretty much have this system down for me.

Trappeur

Yes, that does seem to be the problem. When I did my double wick container I put a dot in the bottom of the container with a sharpie to avoid that and it seemed to work, but adding an extra step wouldn't be good for large batches. I know a bunch of mechanical design engineers at work who could design a wicking device if they weren't so busy. Maybe if things slow down sometime before I retire I can get them to help me out.

Love, love, love my wick setters for large batches.  I can get wicks in 50-100 jars fairly quickly.  Even had a few custom setters made for oddball jars I was using.  When I did weddings it was a lifesaver!  And I say DID like I stopped, just did one a few months ago but I hate doing them so way less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forrest said:

Yes, that does seem to be the problem. When I did my double wick container I put a dot in the bottom of the container with a sharpie to avoid that and it seemed to work, but adding an extra step wouldn't be good for large batches. I know a bunch of mechanical design engineers at work who could design a wicking device if they weren't so busy. Maybe if things slow down sometime before I retire I can get them to help me out.

The easy wick setter also has a multi-wick setting tool.  You can do 2-3 wicks. Here is the link: http://www.ezwicksys.com/The_Multi.htm

Forgot to add, I use these wick holders to hold my wicks in place. Tried a lot of different holders and these are my fav. Got them at Peaks a long time ago so not sure who sells them anymore.

Fall candles poured.jpg

• Thanks 1

At least for my 8oz tureens I solved my problem of not being able to center my wicks, as a bonus I could wick a large patch quickly with this device. I just made a hole in the lid, inserted the PVC pipe, centered it, and glued it in place; I mashed the little tabs that allow the lid to screw on so that now it just lifts off. The PVC pipe has the same diameter as the wick tab there isn't much room for error. This concept would work for any container where you could get the lid on and off quickly and drill a hole in it big enough for the PVC pipe.

IMG_1447.thumb.jpg.1fb2018ceea1b510d666bcdc0122e14c.jpgIMG_1446-1.thumb.jpg.2fcbdbf54ce22f2b90a3588c36989f76.jpg

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

That idea deserves a spotlight! I’m really impressed by the simple genius of it. Now to figure out how to cut a hole in my tin lid without hurting myself 

That was the tricky part. I used a drill bit and then a dremil tool, but I don't recommend that. I think you could get a hole saw that would do the job for $10 or so. I put a black dot dead center on the bottom of my container so I could look down the PVC pipe and line it up before I glued it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

That’s what I was hoping to try (hole saw) just need to keep the lid from spinning. 🤓 

who is taking bets about how many lids I will ruin before either a) figuring it out or b ) just scrapping the whole idea 🤣 

Could you not just screw the lid onto the jar and drill it like that? I know my hub does stuff like that all the time and the jars don't spin.