Who here makes a living 100% off hand-made crafts?

bathaway

I am wonder what percentage of crafters here are able to make a living from it. Even on a $20 item, at least 5000 need to be made and sold every year. Just to make an average wage.

I heard of crafters that make their annual profit in just 3 big trade shows. After those 3 shows, they vacation the rest of the year. It sounds plausible. 

What selling channels do you use? Distributors, alot of retail accounts?, big shows? large youtube channel?

I made 15k last Christmas season but it dwindles down to 1-2k in spring and summer. So for me, it's barely.

I make bath bombs.

My selling channels

-main website

-etsy

-A few retail stores and spas supply

-little bit of ebay

What I learned so far..

Do things that are scaleable and on going.

-google adwords, SEO, get retail accounts, build social media

I stopped going to craft shows. 

- I haven't tried the big ones which based on reviews sound like big risk, big reward. 

-I  sometimes made back my table fee for small shows. I was never able to pay myself more than $15/hour. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think such a goal will ever be realistic for me, personally. But a goal I do have for some point in my life, is to be able to use it as a solid supplemental income. For personal reasons, I don't ever see myself surpassing the minimum wage workforce, and usually my stress plate is full from even a part time service industry job, like 3-4 shifts per week. I can juggle 2 part time jobs, but my health and overall well-being deteriorates very quickly, and then I'm still living paycheck to paycheck much of the time. An ideal goal for me is to be able to earn enough supplemental income selling handmade products, that between that and a part time job of 3-4 shifts per week, I make enough to care for myself and my dog. I have a handful of repeat customers so far, and am hoping to try some crafters markets type things this Summer or Autumn, to just start small with any fundraiser type opportunities and so on.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:15 PM, bathaway said:

I made 15k last Christmas season

See to me that's amazing. Couple that with a casual part time job ($12,000/year) , and you're at mortgage payment status if your home and lifestyle goals are modest. A preschool teacher often makes that much combined per year.

I don't know what you make but what ever it is, if you don't have much time or money. Sell something completely unique, high end, and expensive. Your branding is more important than your product. Sell 1 thing first. 

There is too much mediocrity out there. I learned the hard way when I tried soap, bath salt, bubble bars. 

Try the craft markets  but try social media first. It's free to learn how to grow facebook pages, instagram pages, youtube channels. Pick one.

If you are, I don't recommend selling cheap products, you will work for free or lose money.

The successful do 1 of the following

-import

-are actually social media companies selling generic products

-automate 

Also Other people can do this because they have a spouse taking care of them or they have a high paying career to fund their business.

I beg to differ with you on this mate. Branding is not more important than your product. IN MY OPINION branding and product development should be paired together 50/50. Of course, I dont have any scientific or hard evidence to support this claim so I wont give it an arbitrary 95% claim of anything to back my argument up with. 

Of course, do what you will with your own products. If branding to you is more important than your product then thats entirely up to you.  But I strongly urge you not to pass off your own opinions as facts to others without solid evidence of said claims. A lot of these new folks joining this board may take that information and run with it and potentially do more harm than good. I suggest if you want to help people, lay it out in a way that it is your opinion on the matter and nothing more. Just my $.02 on this topic. Moving along now :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I did not passed off my opinions as facts. I did not backed my opinion up with empirical evidence. 

I don't need to add "in my opinion" on everything I post. Without evidence, it's implied. Just like most post here.

If your telling me to not potentially do harm, for not explicitly saying "in my opinion".

Please do that for every post on this forum. That way you are consistent and fair.

9 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

potentially do more harm than good

that is your bias. It can also lead to more sales instead of R & Ding items that don't sell.

of course there is no fact about how NaughtyNancy should do it. I don't know what is even made. 

“ 

-import

-automate “

see to me that is passing off your opinions as facts, when in reality many hard working people in this message board are none of those 3 things you claim can only be succesful. I guess I am just looking out for the new folks and not have them potentially get misguided by false information. Im not trying to single you out in any way, but in the first 30 seconds of your video on Youtube you claim that candle making is “easy” “you just stick a wick in a jar, add wax and you are done” This type of mis-information can get someone hurt.  

A lot of your information is great and can help people indeed, but some of your information can really really mislead somebody into making a potentially dangerous candle and this is what I am asking you to be careful about thats all.

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

-import

-automate “

Your interpretation of my posting being a factual statement is incorrect. My post is not a fact. Facts need empirically evidence. I did not provide any empirical evidence

You can criticize my post. And now my video too.

"candle making is “easy” “you just stick a wick in a jar, add wax and you are done” Is this a fact or opinion?

You can disagree, but don't claim my statements are facts. 

thanks for your compliment. It's my most viewed video.

The most important thing to know about your business is your own lane. I often find your posts audacious, as if you really don’t understand the purpose of this forum. We are a collective of makers, not flippers. 

I, and many of my close friends, DO make a living solely from our hand made products. It is most definitely possible.

The thought of buying from some rando supplier for cheap overseas to flip to people who assume we are the makers is offensive, especially when you consider that the ingredients are potentially risky and will require testing to ensure safety. How many of us have our own analysis lab to ensure no lead, arsenic, or whatever is in our bath products? 

I wish you well, but please do not use this forum to peddle snake oil info. Know your lane. This type of thread is not it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, bathaway said:

Your interpretation of my posting being a factual statement is incorrect. My post is not a fact. Facts need empirically evidence. I did not provide any empirical evidence

You can criticize my post. And now my video too.

"candle making is “easy” “you just stick a wick in a jar, add wax and you are done” Is this a fact or opinion?

You can disagree, but don't claim my statements are facts. 

thanks for your compliment. It's my most viewed video.

Yes you definitely are posting as a "know it all" facts about what your saying 

I personally after reading your posts and your watching your video would never buy a thing from you - you are only looking at profit and profit only along with how many "views" you get  - you don't seem to give a crap about quality in your product and that is not what this all about here on this forum

of course we all want to be successful but having a quality, safe and exceptional product is and should be number 1

I wish you luck I really do but your blogs and videos are very unsettling - especially to the new people here that actually want to learn and know the truths in this business 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You certainly come off as a know it all in business and marketing strategies.  I don't see it at all after watching your video and reading your posts. 

Your information is moot for the majority of us on this site.  Branding/production go hand in hand.   WE are crafters/artisans and many of us

sell our products.  Why would we import or automate?  We make our products as that's our passion.  Do you know what this forum is about at all?  

Many of us do this to supplement our income, some do it to just continue being able to make what they love and  some have very successful businesses.  

You say you couldn't sell soap, bath bombs etc.....well I'd say you weren't doing something right.  Probably didn't market it well and forgot about quality products by your posts.  Yet you come here giving advice on how to market/sell.  Find that laughable.

Do what you do,but don't tell me how to run a business. 

When you are in business long enough, you know everything is cyclical. Bath bombs were huge several years ago, then almost over night turned to a stagnant product you could not give away. Loads of people were stuck with aging inventory and learned expensive, valuable lessons. 

Importing sounds good on the surface until you get burned. When you place your order you hope and pray it arrives exactly as described. You have zero leverage when it does not. Formulas change without notice. Products get held in customs, damaged, or otherwise changed. You’re stuck holding the expensive bag. 

The one constant is those who who jump around seem to embody the, “ fake it til you make it” label, and burn out pretty quickly.

I will be curious to see if you have what it takes to stick with anything for any length of time, or if you will lose interest and move to the next strike it rich idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

When you are in business long enough, you know everything is cyclical. Bath bombs were huge several years ago, then almost over night turned to a stagnant product you could not give away. Loads of people were stuck with aging inventory and learned expensive, valuable lessons. 

Importing sounds good on the surface until you get burned. When you place your order you hope and pray it arrives exactly as described. You have zero leverage when it does not. Formulas change without notice. Products get held in customs, damaged, or otherwise changed. You’re stuck holding the expensive bag. 

The one constant is those who who jump around seem to embody the, “ fake it til you make it” label, and burn out pretty quickly.

I will be curious to see if you have what it takes to stick with anything for any length of time, or if you will lose interest and move to the next strike it rich idea. 

This exactly. THis forum is a place to come and learn from others with many many many years of trials and errors. I knew NOTHING before coming here and thanks to people like TT giving us this place to LEARN I would be nowhere. This IS NOT a get rich quick type of message board amd many people here will take offense to that. I even bet you that people on this message board have become friends over the years. This is a place of fun and learning, not how to import cheap crap and flip it for a profit.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

I even bet you that people on this message board have become friends over the years. 

True statement. my closest friends came from this forum, and another. These particular people are more dear than some of my actual blood relatives. We visit in person throughout the year, and talk for hours almost daily. 

We are a community for better or for worse. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bathaway said:

I did not passed off my opinions as facts.

You make blanket statements with no caveat to it being an opinion, so yes, it does come off as fact and not opinion... If you want it to clearly come across as an opinion and not a statement of fact, than you should mention that and say it is just your opinion. Otherwise the tone of your message is read as you stating facts. 

I think the others have covered the other aspects of what this forum is about quite nicely so I won't pile on.  

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The most important thing to know about your business is your own lane. I often find your posts audacious, as if you really don’t understand the purpose of this forum. We are a collective of makers, not flippers. 

I, and many of my close friends, DO make a living solely from our hand made products. It is most definitely possible.

The thought of buying from some rando supplier for cheap overseas to flip to people who assume we are the makers is offensive, especially when you consider that the ingredients are potentially risky and will require testing to ensure safety. How many of us have our own analysis lab to ensure no lead, arsenic, or whatever is in our bath products? 

I wish you well, but please do not use this forum to peddle snake oil info. Know your lane. This type of thread is not it. 

unfortunately, importing and selling as handmade happens alot on Etsy. I didn't say do it but I spoke on how alot of people are doing it.

You thinking I am encouraging that is incorrect.

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

You make blanket statements with no caveat to it being an opinion, so yes, it does come off as fact and not opinion... If you want it to clearly come across as an opinion and not a statement of fact, than you should mention that and say it is just your opinion. Otherwise the tone of your message is read as you stating facts. 

I think the others have covered the other aspects of what this forum is about quite nicely so I won't pile on.  

It's not fact. Your interpretation of my opinion as fact is fine. 

Everyone here makes statements, no one follows them with "put an opinion disclaimer!"

But what is different about my statement is... It's not liked. So now, people here want me to put "opinion disclaimers"

Now I am accused for being wrong for other peoples interpretation of my opinions statements as fact.

At least you agree I was making opinion statements. I can't do anything about your interpretation.

7 hours ago, moonshine said:

Yes you definitely are posting as a "know it all" facts about what your saying 

I personally after reading your posts and your watching your video would never buy a thing from you - you are only looking at profit and profit only along with how many "views" you get  - you don't seem to give a crap about quality in your product and that is not what this all about here on this forum

of course we all want to be successful but having a quality, safe and exceptional product is and should be number 1

I wish you luck I really do but your blogs and videos are very unsettling - especially to the new people here that actually want to learn and know the truths in this business 

When I made my candles.

They were very special and unique. Duel wick separate burning. Of course I cared to make something so different. CNC molds, silicone molds, Centering the wick in that shape.

I am talking about the inconvenient truths which struck a cord here.

Importing, companies mainly marketing than caring about the product.

I leave it up to people to think for themselves. But the attitude here to tell me to put "opinion disclaimers"

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

great post!

My passion is inventing so I defiantly might make another invention. Your assuming I am importing. I went the automation route. 

We'll I am less than 2 years in. It's going great so far.

Self promotion. Deleted video.