Bubbly 6006 wax???

I have just switched from 464 to IGI 6006 in search of a better hot throw. This wax is sooo much different and I’m having a hard time with it. I’m heating to 185, adding color flakes and 9% FO, it turns cloudy and as I’m stirring it gets very bubbly and it’s impossible to get the bubbles out. I have tried pouring at 145 to help avoid sinkholes, tried pouring higher to see if bubble problem would resolve but no. This wax is so bubbly, it’s so strange to me! Never saw anything like this with the GW 464. Has anyone experienced this with 6006 or any waxes?

Can you heat gun those surface bubbles out? 

C3 bubbles like a fiend. I use a wide silicone spatula to slowly blend everything. It needs to be poured a bit on the warmer side to let those little air bubble ps rise and pop. 

Given the problems I have had with my soy blends, I would Try pouring on the hotter side of the recommended range, and then cool  covered so it shrinks less awkwardly. I put my most recent batches on warmed tiles and insulated with thick towels and it helped a lot. 

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I've started to have those exact tiny bubble issues with my 464/coconut blend. I'm pouring around 120 to try to help eliminate air cavities under the surface (which, frankly, is not helping...but at least this time the cavities are visible at the surface so I can at least see them and know they're there & fix), but at this lower temp the air bubbles are ridiculous and on every. single. candle.

Heat gunning sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Repours do help, but having to re-pour each candle is putting a real kink in my production. 

@TallTayl Not yet, but I'm going to test that out. When I'm pouring for production (wholesale orders/shows), I'm pouring between 70 - 100 a day, sometimes more, so I was trying to figure out the logistics of insulating each candle with the space I have. I definitely need to figure something out!

48 minutes ago, olives said:

@TallTayl Not yet, but I'm going to test that out. When I'm pouring for production (wholesale orders/shows), I'm pouring between 70 - 100 a day, sometimes more, so I was trying to figure out the logistics of insulating each candle with the space I have. I definitely need to figure something out!

I'm in the same boat. something as simple as warming a tile to sit them on worked well for me. I then can cover a bunch with a rubbermade tub or something to keep insulating them together.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/16/2018 at 2:39 PM, Flicker said:

You will get sink holes with that jar/wax. Pour hotter at 185-190. Tent newspaper over the top to slow cooling. You will probably have to top them off. I usually check them in a few hours, poke relief holes and do my repour.

@Flicker, your comment got me thinking about a random question I've had in my head. I've read recently about how pouring too hot can cause the wax coating on the wick to melt, which ultimately can cause tunneling. I'm having crazy tunneling issues lately and have kept this in mind when playing around with my pour temps. How hot is too hot to pour? 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, olives said:

@Flicker, your comment got me thinking about a random question I've had in my head. I've read recently about how pouring too hot can cause the wax coating on the wick to melt, which ultimately can cause tunneling. I'm having crazy tunneling issues lately and have kept this in mind when playing around with my pour temps. How hot is too hot to pour? 

Tunneling comes solely from the wrong size wicks.. The wax prime acts solely as an agent to start the fire.

I have poured around 200* with this wax in my jelly jars. I would not pour hotter. But if you are seeing tunneling while the candles are burning, the wick itself is too small or too large.