Got craters? Slow your cool

33 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

I have one of these insulated food carriers that I use, and you can get a hot plate for them that heats them up and keeps them warm for atleast 4hrs. Anyone tried this for slowly cooling your candles? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-upcs400401-ultra-pan-carrier-s-series-slate-blue-front-loading-insulated-food-pan-carrier/214UPCS400SB.html

Seems like overkill.  You want to slow the cool, not inhibit it.  Slowing too much will create larger wax crystals which is undesirable in most candles, especially soy. It may be helpful for palm.

you want to be able to cool your candles evenly so the top does not seal over before the middle is finished shrinking. 

IMO/IME it’s easier to cool the wax in the pot to a temp/consistency that won’t shrink much more in your end vessel. An awful lot depends on your wax, additives, ambient temp, drafts, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I had what I'd call near perfect environment to make my candles, my own shop, controlled temp & controlled humidity, I didn't get the sink holes near as often.  I lined my SS table with cardboard and put a cardboard box over candles, use C3 and had very little issues.  Since moving I'm on an enclosed porch with no heat except that from the sun and it's a nightmare!  Yes I've pulled in a space heater but I just can't seem to get anything to work like it did before.  Luckily, I'm not selling anymore so for me it's just play and burn.  It did factor into my decision to sell my business a year early.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I've had some of these issues myself and am experimenting with different ways to slow the cooling process.  I've played around with preheating my jars on a pan in the oven at 150F, opening the oven door, pouring the candles then turning the oven off and letting them cool as the oven cools.  Have also taken the candles and put them in a large pot of hot water and let them cool as the water cooled.  Both scenarios worked well but poses the question how long is too long?

As an aside, my wife and I went to Cracker barrel this morning and instead of just looking at candles I actually saw candles.

The first three are $25-35 Yankee Candles and Wood Wick (who I believe is owned by Yankee Candle). 

Wife and I then went to an antique and craft store that's set up kind of like an indoor flea market with a variety of different vendors so I could check out the local competition.  The last three are some of their candles.  

These are nowhere near the worst that I saw but I have discovered that a 6'1 250 pound guy walking around taking pictures of candles draws some funny looks.

I've already realized that there is no such thing as perfection but am I wrong to be less than impressed with these candles?  I've spent 30 years in quality control so I'm generally pretty critical of flaws   In this case am I expecting too much?  Is this the norm for retail candles?

IMG_20190615_141736036.jpg

IMG_20190615_141742890.jpg

IMG_20190615_141754515.jpg

IMG_20190615_150131698.jpg

IMG_20190615_150209514.jpg

IMG_20190615_150219380.jpg

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx
  • Like 1