Simple, inexpensive product photos-part 1. A cheapie Amazon light box

TallTayl

product photography is one of the most important features of your online shop. Clear, attractive photos can  product stand out and sell out.

If you're like me, and live in a place where natural daylight is not always available or optimal, a lightbox might be just what you need. 

This one kept coming up in my Facebook feed, so I thought for $12.50 what the heck.  It arrived quickly and set up in about a minute.  It's pretty tiny at 9"x9" but is perfectly portable and useful for small items like B&B products. IMG_1493.PNG

The lights are run run from a USB cable that connects easily to your computer, phone or a common wall plug adapter. 

IMG_3033.jpg

Two different crafty foam  backgrounds came with the box, one white the other black. The notches in the material hook to little tabs in the back of the box. Other colors could be made from just about any material.

Here is a quick Iphone snap with no filters of a lip balm tube unedited on the white background.

IMG_3035.jpg

It's a little dark with grey shadows where the white should be. I could go out and find my grey card and white balance, or I can just let the Iphone do the magic. While looking at the photo in the photo gallery, click on the edit tool.

IMG_1499.PNG

Tap on the light balance button circled in pink. Then slide up and down those options til you find something you like. Tap Done when you're satisfied with the choice.

IMG_1494.PNG

IMG_3035.jpg

Then crop put out the extra white space using the crop tool.

IMG_1497.PNG

Drag in those corners til the photo looks how you want. 

IMG_3035.jpg

Not bad for a minute of my time! 

Here is the same tube on the black background. The pic is cropped but otherwise unedited. 

IMG_3041.jpg

Next post I'll show you Picasa, a free, easy photo editing tool that will make your life much easier. 

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, gls said:

Do you have an affiliate link for us to use if we purchase it thru your post?  IMHO, you might as well make money for the forum if possible.

Amen! That is a great product, and I would be thrilled to buy it knowing it's helping to keep this forum going!

And thank you Shannon! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

You always come through with the best info!

I know you were just being helpful (as always) and not actually trying to sell us stuff!!   

The thing is...I have purchased several items from amazon based on information I have found on this forum and thought It would have been nice for some sales commis to come back here to help with O&M.   I don't see anything wrong with affiliate links as long as site owner is transparent about using them and links are not the focus of the site.  

Didn't mean to hijack this educational thread with revenue ideas...sorry...please remove my post if appropriate

8 hours ago, gls said:

I know you were just being helpful (as always) and not actually trying to sell us stuff!!   

The thing is...I have purchased several items from amazon based on information I have found on this forum and thought It would have been nice for some sales commis to come back here to help with O&M.   I don't see anything wrong with affiliate links as long as site owner is transparent about using them and links are not the focus of the site.  

Didn't mean to hijack this educational thread with revenue ideas...sorry...please remove my post if appropriate

No worries. I appreciate the thought.  I had never given affiliate links a thought before. Affiliates, and how they can help sustain a business, is an idea for another post for sure! 

TT - can you take a pic of the led light? Does the light say what the brightness is? Also, is it office, bright white, cool, warm, etc? There are so many shades of color for lightbulbs just curious what works well in a lightbox. I made my own lightbox and finding the right lighting has not been easy. I either get glare or shadow.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great timing--I just bought one of this to photograph our candles as well!  Here is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQYF2RH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one was $29.99, though, because I wanted a bigger space.  Very pleased with it so far.  Here is a sample photo I took.

IMG_2665.jpg

Edited by ellajoan
  • Like 4

I got my light box and just gave it a simple try.  I am pleased as punch with it for 12.00.   Here's a few taken with my Iphone and nothing else done to it.  Not bad at all.  Will be better once I do some adjustments.  Sorry about how big it is....

Lavender.jpg

Edited by Shari
  • Like 2

Just beautiful pictures Shari and Amelia......

Amelia in your picture there is a wood grain base.  Is that your table?  And what about the looks like wallpaper back, is that yours or are they part of the package?

Also do you use a flash with your camera when taking these pictures?

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks to you enablers, my light box was delivered yesterday. Before that, I had one made from a cardboard box that I had cut the sides and tops out of and covered with white tissue paper. The inside was lined with white poster board. I used it outside on sunny days and reflected the sun with either another piece of white poster board or a piece of cardboard covered with foil. This thing is going to be so fun to play with.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

Thanks to you enablers. My light box was delivered yesterday.

LOL I ordered mine today. I have one, but the way the lights are, it's weird and throws shadows everywhere. I'm hoping this one is better. This will be my third one which is why I am absolutely convinced it's the photographer (aka, ME) than the equipment. However, if I can get a picture half as good as Shari's with this thing, I will be happy. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Faerywren said:

Thanks to you enablers, my light box was delivered yesterday. Before that, I had one made from a cardboard box that I had cut the sides and tops out of and covered with white tissue paper. The inside was lined with white poster board. I used it outside on sunny days and reflected the sun with either another piece of white poster board or a piece of cardboard covered with foil. This thing is going to be so fun to play with.

ME! 100% this is what I do. I just ordered mine too. Thank you *so* much @TallTayl!

• Like 1

Okay, I was just funnin' and set this up in 2 seconds to see what all the fuss was about. This thing is awesome!

Edited to add:  When I take pics for real, I don't have shrink wrap on them. I like the bars nekkid!

IMG_1947.JPG

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 3