Week/end plans?

Jcandleattic

I know it's only Tuesday, but this question really is for anybody doing anything crafty at any time this week/weekend. 

Nothing for me until Saturday, but I am going to FORCE myself down in my basement to pour at least a couple lbs of wax and make at least 1 batch of soap. 

My granddaughter for the last couple days has been asking, and I want to make a St. Patrick's Day soap, so I'll be doing that. 

Anyone else? 

• Like 1

I cleaned my craft room last week sooooo, this weekend I get to play outside the house.  I'm going 4 hours North to our huge once a month antique faire in Alameda to shop for the store, this is my true passion, so much fun.  Really need to get Spring stuff started but it can wait another week.

• Like 1

I hate that I have to FORCE myself to get down in the basement, but that's where I'm at at the moment. I hate winter. It's soul-sucking to me. I really REALLY need to be someplace warm during the winter. When I retire I may end up becoming one of those "snow birds" that go south for the winter. 

And it really is just the cold, because we do have sunshine everyday, but it sucks when it LOOKS like it's 80 outside, but yet it's only 5. LOL 

Can't open up the house to air it out or anything. 

And now I'm just complaining (which I tend to do a lot during this time of year, so I'll stop!!) :)

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

I hate that I have to FORCE myself to get down in the basement, but that's where I'm at at the moment. I hate winter. It's soul-sucking to me. I really REALLY need to be someplace warm during the winter. When I retire I may end up becoming one of those "snow birds" that go south for the winter. 

And it really is just the cold, because we do have sunshine everyday, but it sucks when it LOOKS like it's 80 outside, but yet it's only 5. LOL 

Can't open up the house to air it out or anything. 

And now I'm just complaining (which I tend to do a lot during this time of year, so I'll stop!!) :)

If it's any consolation...I live near Seattle, and we would think we'd been raptured if we got sunshine on any kind of regular basis. Last winter was SO dreary (worse than usual), and this one is turning out to be much the same. Oh, and we get lots of drizzling rain with the grey/white skies too. However, our temps are higher than yours. Still, don't wanna do anything outside when it's so wet and there's no sun (+ cold). I think we all (up here) need to have our heads examined. 

12 minutes ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

If it's any consolation...I live near Seattle, and we would think we'd been raptured if we got sunshine on any kind of regular basis. Last winter was SO dreary (worse than usual), and this one is turning out to be much the same. Oh, and we get lots of drizzling rain with the grey/white skies too. However, our temps are higher than yours. Still, don't wanna do anything outside when it's so wet and there's no sun (+ cold). I think we all (up here) need to have our heads examined. 

I could literally never live in a place like that. I have a slight case of LAD or I guess they call it SAD now - but either way, when it's dreary and no sunshine I get super depressed and just want to sleep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I could literally never live in a place like that. I have a slight case of LAD or I guess they call it SAD now - but either way, when it's dreary and no sunshine I get super depressed and just want to sleep.

I get that way too. A couple years ago I started going to the tanning beds in the winter. I know, skin cancer, but I play it on the safe side by only doing 10 minutes 1x a week. You would not believe what a difference those 10 minutes of UV rays makes in my energy, recovery, and mood!

Back to the topic at hand, today is my day off, so it's kind of my "weekend". I just made 2 batches of soap and a batch of sugar scrub. I'm using a tropical beachy fragrance I blended myself, and it exactly what I needed today. 😄

I have an order coming in from Lotioncrafter soon, I'm hoping it comes by Friday so I can try to make a new face cream over the weekend. I have the formula all written out, I just need the goodies!! And along the lines of my above post, I'm really low on tanning lotion so I need to make some of that too.

Oh yeah, and my daughter and my pregnant friend are both breaking out really bad, so I'd like to make a nice light oil-free treatment gel for them. Always more projects than time!!

• Like 1

I'm making elderberry syrups, liquid soap, bar soap and bath bombs, I am so, amazingly far behind. I'll be working all weekend. I got a SAD light from a friend, I still have to pick it up but I'm really excited to try it.

I also just got asked to teach classes on traditional Scottish herbalism and healing so I'll be thinking about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of soap and sugar scrubs to make on my list this weekend.  Finally back in the groove and feeling better about it.   Also working on updating my website.  Taking the grandkids to see Paw Patrol Live on Sunday.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, kandlekrazy said:

I cleaned my craft room last week sooooo, this weekend I get to play outside the house.  I'm going 4 hours North to our huge once a month antique faire in Alameda to shop for the store, this is my true passion, so much fun.  Really need to get Spring stuff started but it can wait another week.

I envy you going to the antique faire!   When I had my shop, that was one of the highlights for me.....shopping..... I loved shopping for vintage trapper's baskets (a fetish I have),  fishing creels and I love love old camp blankets.   I used to make pillows out of the camp blankets.   I miss those days....I hope you find lots of goodies!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Well I made 3 different beer soaps this week. They are for an order for a local gift shop. I also had to fill a second order for the same gift shop for my regular bath bars.

I have a winter market this Saturday as usual so I will be doing that. If I make enough above what I need for weekly groceries then I will order some supplies.

I have lots of soap to make to catch up but have been too lazy this winter to make any.

Been going through a burn out this winter so did absolutely nothing in Jan and Feb with the exception of a couple Saturday markets. Taking the time off has really helped. I feel ready to get back into making soap. Just need more supplies.

• Like 1

I started a different thread yesterday about this same thing, so I'll just repeat here what I said then. :) 

I'm going to try and be ambitious. Depends on the weather really - since apparently I can't seem to do anything when it's cold. LOL 

I need to clean my lab, do up soaping dishes that have been sitting there since early January. haha, and then since I was gifted a ton of palm wax, I'm going to be making palm pillars and containers. 

I'd like to get my St. Patrick's Day soap made even though it won't be ready for SPD, but I'm going to make it anyway. And if I can get all of that done, then I'll probably make some regular soaps and some embeds. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I started a different thread yesterday about this same thing, so I'll just repeat here what I said then. :) 

I'm going to try and be ambitious. Depends on the weather really - since apparently I can't seem to do anything when it's cold. LOL 

I need to clean my lab, do up soaping dishes that have been sitting there since early January. haha, and then since I was gifted a ton of palm wax, I'm going to be making palm pillars and containers. 

I'd like to get my St. Patrick's Day soap made even though it won't be ready for SPD, but I'm going to make it anyway. And if I can get all of that done, then I'll probably make some regular soaps and some embeds. 

I saw that right after I posted here.....

Well lets see.....ahhhh...well first thing I have to do is get 24  20oz double wicked tureens done for a shop that I was supposed to have delivered today that I haven't started.....I'm bad.  I guess then take up all the blankets out of the cats beds on the porch (there are many) and put in the washing machine for them.  Then I have to sometime tomorrow go pickup an 800 pound round bale of hay for the horses.  Ok lets see.  aaahhh I need to wash my truck but I don't think I will.   Lets see oh yeah, lug some wood off the hill because its supposed to a cold weekend and I guess I'll have to get a fire  going in the woodstove.  What I really should be doing is get working in the basement as my septic tank backed up into the basement and I had a major disaster.  I have floor washing to be done it's unbelievable.  Never had my septic tank pumped for the 27 years I've been living here as when things got stuffed up a bit my husband or I used a mile long snake to clean out the pipes.  Well, now that I'm alone, I had to do it once since my husband died.  But this time around the snake didn't work and had to get a professional in to pump out the septic tank but first we had to try for quite some time to find the location of the tank  I had been noticing that the upstairs toilet wasn't flushing right and my kitchen sink there was always bubbles coming up on the left side of the sink.  One day I went to the basement bathroom that I don't use and haven't been in I bet for a couple of weeks and what do I find?.  Toilet and shower is backed up and the toilet well had overflowed and was coming out under the door that I never go into.  Well after gagging for some time I had a septic company come out which took the 3 days to get here so no shower for 3 days and can't even use any sink...you can imagine..ugh......well the guys jetted out the lines from the cabin and all was good to go.  Sooooo, I can't wait to finally have a shower a nice long 20 minute shower and can wash my dishes....yay!  No problem, I was in heaven.  So next morning I get up and go take another shower and as I walk out of the bathroom I smell sewer....so what is that all about? Hmmmm so I get to the top of the stairs to the basement and look down and what do I see at the bottom of the stairs?  Water....oh no, not water but septic water and the basement is under septic water and whatever.  So now I have to wait till the next day for them to come out and now they come with a different jetter that scrapes all the sides of the pipes and they also bring a camera so they can see everything.  Long story short they never used the proper jetter and I had to take the brunt of all of this and so much furniture, boxes, cabinets, even the wood stove were in this crap.  I was so pissed.  They never did it right the first time.  So now I pay them and the price of getting all my belonging up out of the water I have to deal with.   Then they tell me my septic tank has sunk down on 1 side so the stuff coming out of the pipes doesn't flow down into the tank but somewhat upward,  So now I have to deal with all this coming up...so I need to clean my basement.  Well not today, probably not tomorrow so I guess this weekend and get it done once and for all.  So that is my agenda...

Trappeur

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Well lets see.....ahhhh...well first thing I have to do is get 24  20oz double wicked tureens done for a shop that I was supposed to have delivered today that I haven't started.....I'm bad.  I guess then take up all the blankets out of the cats beds on the porch (there are many) and put in the washing machine for them.  Then I have to sometime tomorrow go pickup an 800 pound round bale of hay for the horses.  Ok lets see.  aaahhh I need to wash my truck but I don't think I will.   Lets see oh yeah, lug some wood off the hill because its supposed to a cold weekend and I guess I'll have to get a fire  going in the woodstove.  What I really should be doing is get working in the basement as my septic tank backed up into the basement and I had a major disaster.  I have floor washing to be done it's unbelievable.  Never had my septic tank pumped for the 27 years I've been living here as when things got stuffed up a bit my husband or I used a mile long snake to clean out the pipes.  Well, now that I'm alone, I had to do it once since my husband died.  But this time around the snake didn't work and had to get a professional in to pump out the septic tank but first we had to try for quite some time to find the location of the tank  I had been noticing that the upstairs toilet wasn't flushing right and my kitchen sink there was always bubbles coming up on the left side of the sink.  One day I went to the basement bathroom that I don't use and haven't been in I bet for a couple of weeks and what do I find?.  Toilet and shower is backed up and the toilet well had overflowed and was coming out under the door that I never go into.  Well after gagging for some time I had a septic company come out which took the 3 days to get here so no shower for 3 days and can't even use any sink...you can imagine..ugh......well the guys jetted out the lines from the cabin and all was good to go.  Sooooo, I can't wait to finally have a shower a nice long 20 minute shower and can wash my dishes....yay!  No problem, I was in heaven.  So next morning I get up and go take another shower and as I walk out of the bathroom I smell sewer....so what is that all about? Hmmmm so I get to the top of the stairs to the basement and look down and what do I see at the bottom of the stairs?  Water....oh no, not water but septic water and the basement is under septic water and whatever.  So now I have to wait till the next day for them to come out and now they come with a different jetter that scrapes all the sides of the pipes and they also bring a camera so they can see everything.  Long story short they never used the proper jetter and I had to take the brunt of all of this and so much furniture, boxes, cabinets, even the wood stove were in this crap.  I was so pissed.  They never did it right the first time.  So now I pay them and the price of getting all my belonging up out of the water I have to deal with.   Then they tell me my septic tank has sunk down on 1 side so the stuff coming out of the pipes doesn't flow down into the tank but somewhat upward,  So now I have to deal with all this coming up...so I need to clean my basement.  Well not today, probably not tomorrow so I guess this weekend and get it done once and for all.  So that is my agenda...

Trappeur

OH MY GAWD.

My basement flooded once with uh, raw sewage. I swear I thought, well, I thought all kinds of things.

This weekend I am flying down to get my mom from Texas!!!!! I fly down, and drive her and her little suitcase back up. YYYYYAYYYYY

On 1/31/2018 at 2:25 PM, Sarah S said:

I get that way too. A couple years ago I started going to the tanning beds in the winter. I know, skin cancer, but I play it on the safe side by only doing 10 minutes 1x a week. You would not believe what a difference those 10 minutes of UV rays makes in my energy, recovery, and mood!

Back to the topic at hand, today is my day off, so it's kind of my "weekend". I just made 2 batches of soap and a batch of sugar scrub. I'm using a tropical beachy fragrance I blended myself, and it exactly what I needed today. 😄

I have an order coming in from Lotioncrafter soon, I'm hoping it comes by Friday so I can try to make a new face cream over the weekend. I have the formula all written out, I just need the goodies!! And along the lines of my above post, I'm really low on tanning lotion so I need to make some of that too.

Oh yeah, and my daughter and my pregnant friend are both breaking out really bad, so I'd like to make a nice light oil-free treatment gel for them. Always more projects than time!!

You make your own tanning lotion 

wow that's pretty cool 😎 

9 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Omg .. What a nightmare:( 

I'm so sorry your going thru all 

this. Honestly, I don't know how you deal with all this . I'd be loosing my mind. I have a few friends that have septic tanks 

and when they have problems 

they're always huge and very 

expensive. Let us know how this 

turns out for you .

My granddaughters birthday is coming up and she wants me 

to make her unicorn bath bombs 

i have a purchased recipe from 

TWH's that I'm going to use but 

I need some inspiration. Does anyone on here know how to add the eyelashes to the fronts . Are they painted on with mica ? 

17 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Trappeur Just a thought:  Your homeowner's insurance might cover the cost of cleanup.  If you did all the cleanup, you can submit a bill to get paid for your time as well as anything damaged.

GoldieMN

I will check on that Goldie....

Trappeur

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moonstar said:

My granddaughters birthday is coming up and she wants me 

to make her unicorn bath bombs 

i have a purchased recipe from 

TWH's that I'm going to use but 

I need some inspiration. Does anyone on here know how to add the eyelashes to the fronts . Are they painted on with mica ? 

Sounds so cute Moonstar.  You will have to post a picture when you are done.

Trappeur

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Omg .. What a nightmare:( 

I'm so sorry your going thru all 

this. Honestly, I don't know how you deal with all this . I'd be loosing my mind. I have a few friends that have septic tanks 

and when they have problems 

they're always huge and very 

expensive. Let us know how this 

turns out for you .

Septics is a big part of what we do for a living - it sounds like your field has failed and if your tank did indeed sink your looking at a new tank and field 

I'm so sorry this is happening to you 

what a mess - tanks should be cleaned/pumped every 2-3 years depending on water usage - if it's in good shape sometimes people can go 5 but not having it regularly checked out and cleaned causes all kinds of issues, baffles fall off causing it to fail and the bio mat in the field hardens like concrete with all the soaps and detergents and cleaners we put down our drains making it impossible for it to drain which in turn causes it to go back up in to your tank causing backups 

I hope you get it resolved and it's worth asking if they can do a field rejuvenation -basically aerating your field to try and bust up the bio mat to allow it to drain again....we do that for many people and had to do it ourselves 5 years ago and it's been fine ever since, providing you don't have a clay tile system - it won't work on that 

• Like 2