Candlescience

5 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

All of the candles posted are wonderful!!  I too am running away from Candle Science.  It's sad because when I started many years ago they were my first supplier so I tried to stay loyal.  Flaming has some wonderful fo's and I've transitioned to theirs as well as RE's.  I still have a couple of CS but I think they can be easily replaced like Hansel & Gretel's House.  So sad what is happening in our arena these days with wax and suppliers.

Candlescience was also one of my first suppliers but I have bought very little from them in recent years.  I can't do without their Cinnamon Stick, Very Vanilla and Pumpkin Souffle, but since I have started ordering from other suppliers with cheaper FO's, shipping AND deals, CS has virtually dropped off my supplier list.  I did order from them when they had their 99 cent sample sale. That's the only sale they ever offer, unlike Aztec, FB, and Candlewic.  I love sales.  And Nature's Garden's $1.00 off per bottle if you order 5, plus their shipping is very reasonable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

The problem is that there are NO black or white painted glass tumblers except the ones from CS that are decent.

The Glassnow painted tumblers look terrible in my eyes and other painted glass I have found here in LA looks worse than the CS ones...

We were waiting for the new ones from CS for our client and he had a look when they came and said, NO... We are bringing tumblers over all the way from Australia for him for this order :(

I was just looking at Glass now and they have some new containers that will be available next month.

How are they terrible? 

Have you seen their Reed diffuser bottles...are they the same?

Edited by Sebleo

I see now that the candle containers in black and white are a matte finish. I did not notice that before. The Reed diffuser bottles have a glossy finish and I thought the candle containers were the same. 

11 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I see now that the candle containers in black and white are a matte finish. I did not notice that before. The Reed diffuser bottles have a glossy finish and I thought the candle containers were the same. 

I think these one's look pretty terrible and not classy

https://www.glassnow.com/8-5oz-heavy-glass-votive

And they are also not black or white... It's more of a hippy feel than classy feel..

I haven't found any other colored glass that I'm happy with except the CS ones.. But they are far from perfect either.

Edited by strugglebrother

20 hours ago, GailC said:

Candlescience was also one of my first suppliers but I have bought very little from them in recent years.  I can't do without their Cinnamon Stick, Very Vanilla and Pumpkin Souffle, but since I have started ordering from other suppliers with cheaper FO's, shipping AND deals, CS has virtually dropped off my supplier list.  I did order from them when they had their 99 cent sample sale. That's the only sale they ever offer, unlike Aztec, FB, and Candlewic.  I love sales.  And Nature's Garden's $1.00 off per bottle if you order 5, plus their shipping is very reasonable.

Gail, I recently ordered Cinnamon Stick and Vanilla Spectacular from NG, and they are both very nice. I can't compare to CS, but I'm quite pleased with them. NG's vanilla bean is good as well, although not as rich as the Van Spec. Just FYI! 😉

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Gail, I recently ordered Cinnamon Stick and Vanilla Spectacular from NG, and they are both very nice. I can't compare to CS, but I'm quite pleased with them. NG's vanilla bean is good as well, although not as rich as the Van Spec. Just FYI! 😉

I have bought lots of vanillas through the years, but my favorite has always been Very Vanilla, although Vanilla Bean Noel is very good too.

I may try the Nature's Garden Cinnamon Stick one of these days.  My daughter's favorite is Cinnamon Broom from Fragrance Buddy.  But I prefer CS Cinnamon Stick.  

2 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

And they are also not black or white... It's more of a hippy feel than classy feel..

I haven't found any other colored glass that I'm happy with except the CS ones.. But they are far from perfect either.

They are launching new calypso candle containers in black and white, but they have a matte finish instead of glossy.

These are the Reed diffuser bottles I was looking at. I hate that I would have to order a case to check them out. I am sure they use the same painting technique on all their containers.

https://www.glassnow.com/8-5oz-roma-glass-bottle

I have only ordered wax and fragrances from LS, NG, and CS. Once I found out CS did not offer discounts on buying multiple bottles I steered clear because the fragrances I liked were $20+ per pound. 

But, I've been working on Reed diffusers and their base is so much better than LS. I also like that they tell you which fragrances work with the base instead of having to waste money experimenting. I just ordered a bunch of new oils to test and every one has worked beautifully in their base.

That is the only reason I order from them.

7 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

You know Strugglebrother, I have looked at these before and they really aren't bad at all.  I can't remember if the are painted or a solid color glass but with that bamboo lid or even the cork lid those jars could be really quite nice looking with a smashing label on it.  And they could be a real classy looking jar when all put together.    Actually I really like them!  But you have to like the jar.

Trappeur

I am happy with these frosted white tumblers from Candles & Supplies.  I make dust covers for them and they have sold well.  But they're only 8 oz.  C & S had them on clearance not long ago and I got quite a deal.  I see they're back up to their regular price now.

5a62b873ae373_frostedwhitetumblers.JPG.46d21f4f770c2471d81debf976b2dfb1.JPG

8 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

Candles & Supplies has 10 oz black tumblers.  I have bought some colored ones there, although not black, and I think the quality is good.

2 hours ago, GailC said:

Candles & Supplies has 10 oz black tumblers.  I have bought some colored ones there, although not black, and I think the quality is good.

These actually looks like CS but bigger...

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/10-oz-Straight-Jar-per-case-36?sc=7&category=1828

Have you tried these, are they better than the CS ones?

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

You know Strugglebrother, I have looked at these before and they really aren't bad at all.  I can't remember if the are painted or a solid color glass but with that bamboo lid or even the cork lid those jars could be really quite nice looking with a smashing label on it.  And they could be a real classy looking jar when all put together.    Actually I really like them!  But you have to like the jar.

Trappeur

Yeah I got samples with all the colors a long time ago...

I think it's a personal preference, nothing wrong with them but I like the jars straight and more simple. And then full black and full white painted.

9 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

These actually looks like CS but bigger...

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/10-oz-Straight-Jar-per-case-36?sc=7&category=1828

Have you tried these, are they better than the CS ones?

Like I said, I  have never bought the black ones.  I use the white frosted jars which are good quality.  I also have bought an assortment of colored jars, some frosted, some not.  They all look good to me.  I have never ordered colored jars from CS so I can't compare.

1 hour ago, GailC said:

Like I said, I  have never bought the black ones.  I use the white frosted jars which are good quality.  I also have bought an assortment of colored jars, some frosted, some not.  They all look good to me.  I have never ordered colored jars from CS so I can't compare.

I will try and call them to see if they are different than CS... Thanks for pointing me to these :)

Shipping is double the price of Candle Science's shipping but maybe they are offering pickup from our own courier.

Hello everyone,

We have taken the time to read through this thread and would like to let you know that we hear your feedback, and we sympathize with your frustrations. As always, our goal is to provide the best service possible so that you can focus on the success of your business.

We'd like to take a moment to share how we're working to ease your concerns.

Fragrance Discounts

First, a policy change. We appreciate your feedback regarding a discount when purchasing multiple bottles or when a larger size is out-of-stock. Outages are our responsibility and not the fault of our customers. Moving forward, we’ll be making changes to our policy to better accommodate you if you need an item that happens to be out-of-stock.

Shipping Cost

As online shoppers ourselves, we know it’s annoying to pay for shipping, period. It’s something we take very seriously and are continually working to reduce shipping costs. This was the fundamental reason why we opened a warehouse on the west coast to better serve those customers. This fall we added USPS First-Class Mail delivery as an economical shipping option and are working to provide additional choices, including flat rate shipping.

Split Shipping

First, we'd like to apologize for the aggravation this option has caused. We've put a tremendous amount of work into fulfilling orders from multiple locations to specifically reduce shipping cost and transit times. We do our best to keep products in-stock at both sites, but on occasion, some items may go out of stock before replenishments arrive. As an industry first, we intended to offer the split shipping option to customers who can’t wait for the item(s) to come back in stock in their primary location.

As Candybee correctly noted, we have improved. When we opened our west coast warehouse in 2015, it took us a while to appropriately forecast due to the different purchasing behaviors of our west coast customers.

In 2017, only 2.3% of orders were split shipments. Most were caused by the soy wax outages and the manufacturing issues with our tumbler jars. With that being said, we are working to minimize this occurrence and fine-tune our forecasting to make sure we have the stock you need where you need it.

Shipping Times

We're obsessed with shipping your supplies as quickly and safely as possible. We were the first to offer same day shipping and continue to ship all orders until 4 pm same day. Unfortunately, UPS recently made changes to their shipping zones which has affected travel time. For instance, the northern half of Virginia was in a one day zone from our Durham NC warehouse but is now in a two day zone. The enormous influx of holiday packages UPS now processes have also affected shipping times in some areas. We realize that we should have proactively informed you of these changes and will do so if any new developments occur. Our current transit map can be found here: https://support.candlescience.com/hc/en-us/articles/200694115-How-long-will-UPS-shipping-take- 

Straight Sided Tumbler Jars

Our straight sided tumbler jar line was the hardest product launch we've ever done. As a company, it is important to us to have the best products available. We switched glass and painting suppliers twice trying to improve both the quality and availability of this product.

We would love to offer colored glass that isn't painted, but we haven’t found a supplier that meets our standards. If that changes, we will absolutely offer it.

Tumblers are some of our most popular glassware, and we've only seen a small percentage of jars get damaged during long-distance shipping.

With that said, we recognize this is unacceptable and are working to fix this issue immediately. In the meantime, if you do receive jars that are damaged, please contact us at support@candlescience.com for a refund or replacement.

Keeping You Informed

2017 was an eventful year in the soy wax and fragrance industry. EcoSoya Brands introduced their new Quantum soy waxes which presented new challenges for those accustomed to their previous soy waxes. Many fragrance manufacturers have also been affected by the recent citral shortage. We realized that we need to share more information with you the about these events. Moving forward, we will strive to be more transparent and open about the reasoning behind our actions and developments in the industry.

We sincerely apologize for all your frustrations, and we thank you for sharing your input. It is your feedback that helps us improve our products and services. As always, we are eager to hear your thoughts and comments. Feel free to reach out to us here and to our dedicated community liaison at community@candlescience.com.

Sincerely,

The CandleScience Team

• Like 11

Great reply! Thank you for reading through our forum. I appreciate that you took the time to address the various service issues listed here. Clarification on your side to resolve them and the problems you encountered while trying to fix them has also been very insightful.

Thanks for getting back to the forum

When it comes to the “Straight sided tumblers” there has been a lot of problems. First with them always being out of stock and then after that them not being perfectly painted.

The new tumblers are unfortunately worse than the old ones as the paint is falling off from the front easily. Stickers can’t be reapplied and finger nails make streaks on them.

Would you consider switching back to having them painted on the inside like before? Back in the day they were of good quality and perfect.

I have never had any problems returning anything damaged and your customer support have been excellent dealing with in the few cases something happened. But sadly the new tumblers are just not as good as before and not an improvement from the old ones.

I’m also interested to hear if you have any revised statement regarding the overall problem with the soy wax from Golden Brands? Quantum have brought out new products but Golden Brands products have changed in performance but we are only being told that ‘nothing has changed’ and ‘no one has any problems’. This is obviously very frustrating for a lot of us.

Other than that I think you have great pricing and most of your products have the best of quality! I love how quick you are with processing and shipping compared to your competitors.

And I’m also extremely pleased with the option to be able to get things shipped from Reno for all of us who live on the west coast.

Best

I have a question re the split shipping. This has never happened to me personally so I don't know how the shipping section at checkout looks on their website. So for those that have experienced it is there an option at checkout to either go ahead and process the split warehouse shipping or delete one or the other so you only have those products from one warehouse ship out?

Or, do you have to delete product(s) hoping you figure out which is shipping from where so you only have one shipping amount?

I hope this question makes sense because it was hard to figure out how to ask it.

Edited by Candybee

@Candybee Unless I overlooked it, there is no notice on the product page stating from where the item will be shipped (or where it's in stock). After adding something to the cart, it will show the split shipment notice down with the shipping estimate. Just tried it and it took me at least 20 items to finally find one that would split the shipment (it was the blood orange FO, BTW). Usually, when this happens I'm just throwing things in the cart and not checking for split shipment after each addition, so finding the culprit leads to a guessing game of sorts. It also does not state which item(s) will be included in the split shipment... at least, not in the cart.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed that Candlescience now has a melt and tart blend from AAK/GW or am I late on finding this? It seems to be a melt-only wax that's not meant to be burned. Interesting!

Edited by Kerven

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I have a question re the split shipping. This has never happened to me personally so I don't know how the shipping section at checkout looks on their website. So for those that have experienced it is there an option at checkout to either go ahead and process the split warehouse shipping or delete one or the other so you only have those products from one warehouse ship out?

Or, do you have to delete product(s) hoping you figure out which is shipping from where so you only have one shipping amount?

I hope this question makes sense because it was hard to figure out how to ask it.

I was looking at an item on their site today and one size of the specific oil said 'ships from Nevada' under it. So, maybe that is a new and helpful option?

28 minutes ago, Kerven said:

Edit: Has anyone else noticed that Candlescience now has a melt and tart blend from AAK/GW or am I late on finding this? It seems to be a melt-only wax that's not meant to be burned. Interesting!

Yeah, I tried that wax and HATED it. It actually had great ct/ht characteristics but it does not resist frosting as stated. Not even close. Shout out to CS for having an excellent return policy! 

So weird - I had never heard of issues with CS until this thread, apart from the painted tumblers. 

They are my main supplier - I get my wax, tins, and majority of my FOs from there. For me, the shipping is fast and cheap as I'm one state away. I honestly can't get supplies shipped cheaper from anywhere else (with the exception of ordering wicks from Flaming in their flat rate envelope) and there has only been one time that some of my supplies had to ship from NC instead of NV. I'm sorry to hear of so many issues - but happy that CS read and responded :)

@Kerven I have only ever used the AAK/GB melt blend from CS as I joined the melt game after Ecosoya PB went out of stock and I've been happy with it, but have nothing to compare it to. No issues with frosting (I don't use dye) or getting it out of the clamshells, but I have to work super fast because it seems to set in an instant. 

Hey @strugglebrother, thanks for your feedback.

We agree the jars looked better from the first vendor. Having the paint on the inside prevented a lot of the issues you identified. However, the out of stock problem was because the company repeatedly under-delivered the inventory we needed, even though we provided them with accurate forecasts. We gave them a number of months to resolve the problem. When they were unable to do so, we pulled the business.

The second vendor we used did not have the manufacturing processes in place to paint the inside of the jars. All of their other clients paint the outside. They promised that their paints were tough enough to work on the outside of the glassware. Since they are a highly respected company with large clients, we trusted them. The samples were really good, and we were excited to move forward with them.

Unfortunately when we started selling the glass that came out of the production facility rather than the sample facility we noticed the same problems you did. We’re working very hard with the second vendor, and now a third, to either find a paint that performs properly on the outside or return to painting the inside.

Once again we apologize and appreciate your patience.

There are so many details relevant to the soy story it's tough to summarize them here. But we'll give it a try.

While the FDA ruling forced Ecosoya to make radical changes to its product line, AAK did not have to.  They have told us that none of the formulas have changed. We're hoping to get an official statement from them about this that we can share with our customers. But, that is not the whole story.

AAK runs two main production lines at its facility in the US. One of the hydrogenators went down this summer. That was the origin of the severe outage this fall.

It's a very long story, but when the line went down, they decided to make some upgrades which didn't go smoothly and extended the downtime.

During this period they were running their existing line around the clock, moving material through it as soon as humanly possible. That resulted in a production schedule that was much different than usual. While the product was in spec, there were variations between batches.

We all know that soy wax is a natural product. Therefore it varies according to the origin of the source oil, time of year, and a number of other factors. In the same way you can't buy two apples that look identical, no two batches of soy wax will be exactly the same.

The difference here is that the production method at AAK has been stable for a long time, but changed last fall. We believe them when they tell us that the formula is the same, but understand that the nature of natural products, plus the flux that their production facility was in, made for a less stable than usual product from batch to batch.

Things have stabilized now, and we're hoping that the resulting product will have less variance.

• Like 3