E/O Blends for Hormone Balance

It would be nice to reduce hot flashes and night sweats. I've already been through it and eventually it does go away. But for me the worst part was dealing with depression and vertigo. The depression eventually went away all by itself after several months. But the only thing I found that works for vertigo is taking ghingko biloba supplements. The vertigo came and went for years following menapause. I never knew if I would have it for 2 weeks or six months or longer. It was the worst and the supplements helped a lot.

• Thanks 1

Don't think so. Menapause triggered the vertigo. Never had it before or since. I had it for the longest period just after menapause, then shorter and shorter spells for a few more years. These days I rarely get it now and find that when I started to eliminate sugar from my diet it naturally cured the vertigo. I had actually wanted to quit taking the ghingko biloba and was surprised that simply eliminating sugar did the trick.

Going through menapause is no joke. The symptoms are painful both physically and mentally and can last for months or years. For example my hot flashes lasted a couple years starting during perimenapause just after actual menapause. Those were replace by night sweats which would wake me up in the early morning hours and lasted for about another couple years. The worst vertigo attack and the depression both lasted about 6-8 months just after menapause. While the depression, hot flashes, and night sweats finallye petered out I still continued to get periodic attacks of vertigo. That's when I started taking the gingko biloba supplements. I took those for several years up until around a year to year and a half ago. They were going away by themselves but starting BP medication triggered them again. Once I finally got my health back in order, stopped BP meds, lost weight, and eliminated sugar from my diet the vertigo finally went away.

Wow Candy - I would of never guessed the worst time of a women's life can cause vertigo.....I am in the "pre" stages and I get not what I would say dizzy but more floaty and off balance- have been to a ENT thinking it was my ears or sinus or something but nobody can explain it and keep handing me anti-vitals thinking I have a virus 😳

Chiropractic has helped a lot but the hot flashes are getting insane and I'm having 2-3 cycles a month ....if this goes on for years I am doomed 

I have actually passed out a few times it's so bad - especially in the heat 

I will be trying the ginkgo to see if it helps....in answe to the OP as far as EO to balance hormones- I haven't tried any but be very cautious and do your research, you could make it worse 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Candy, do you maybe have inner ear crystals? When they migrate where they don't belong it is spin city. The "half somersault maneuver" saved me.

My daughter had the crystals

and the half somersault really 

helped her as well.

On 1/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, moonshine said:

Wow Candy - I would of never guessed the worst time of a women's life can cause vertigo.....I am in the "pre" stages and I get not what I would say dizzy but more floaty and off balance- have been to a ENT thinking it was my ears or sinus or something but nobody can explain it and keep handing me anti-vitals thinking I have a virus 😳

Chiropractic has helped a lot but the hot flashes are getting insane and I'm having 2-3 cycles a month ....if this goes on for years I am doomed 

I have actually passed out a few times it's so bad - especially in the heat 

I will be trying the ginkgo to see if it helps....in answe to the OP as far as EO to balance hormones- I haven't tried any but be very cautious and do your research, you could make it worse 

Don't know if all women experience vertigo but I sure did. I think of menapause as the opposite of adolescence. You have this period in your life where your hormones kick in and the later period when your hormones kick off. The reason I bring that up is because it takes your body some time to adjust to your new hormone levels. You just never know how your body will react until you actually go through it.

The floaty off balance sounds like vertigo. My experience with vertigo is it makes me feel like I need to turn left all the time... or is it right? I would get a bit of nausea and dizziness with it and a general icky feeling of discomfort all day. I hated vertigo the worst of all my menapause symtoms because it makes you feel so off balance.

I was lucky, the heat flashes were just a bother to me and fairly tolerable. I would be at work and realise I was having one. But those night sweats would wake me up. I could be covered in sweat and feel like I was baking in an oven. I had to after menapause and for maybe another year or so. But those too sort of diminished and eventually vanished.

If you are thinking of trying the ghingkho biloba check with your doctor first. It has several side effects, one of which thins the blood. So if you are taking meds that might be affected make sure you talk with your doc first. The other side effects I experienced where actually very pleasant. It helped diminish tinnitus in my ears. That was amazing! I have tinnitus in both ears and only the GB helped to lower the volume until I was barely hearing it at all. Another lovely side effect is a stronger memory and focus. Kind of like that morning cup of coffee where you feel really productive and can focus on things and remember stuff you tend to forget. It helps to sharpen my brain so I can remember and focus better.

Just wanted to add if you do get some buy a trusted brand name. Supplements are not regulated and some have little to no active ingredients or the ones they claim too. I think I used Nature's Bounty in the green bottle or Nature Made in the yellow/orange bottle. The green bottle cost more and worked the best.

Edited by Candybee
  • Thanks 2

The tinnitus came back when I stopped taking it.

Having my tinnitus volume lowered by the gingko may have just been a side effect that happened to me. I have read a lot of info on tinnitus and its supposed to be untreatable. That is why I was so amazed the gingko actually helped make mine seem to disappear. At any rate it gave me relief from the tinnitus which was very nice. I have often thought of going back on it but am not keen on the side effect of it being blood thinner. I talked to my doctor at the time and he agreed it was okay for me to use it.

If you do try it let me know how it works for your son. Just remember as a blood thinner it could effect some health issues. At any rate, consult with his doctor to be sure.

• Like 1

Black Cohosh will help with hot flashes and you can also buy Progesterone cream from Swanson Vitamins that's bio identical and not synthetic that should help with hot flashes etc. 

DHEA and Pregnenolone will also help but I would start in low doses. Apple Cider Vinegar helps with hot flashes too but most people can't stand the taste of it. I happen to love it though.

@Candybee, I have tinnitus too and have had it for 18 years now. I had an ENT tell me that it was nerve damage from working in a loud shop when I did construction work at Brown & Root. We had to wear eye protection, hard hats and steel toe boots but nothing for your ears. I'm paying the price now with the ringing and hearing loss.

Anyway, Black Cohosh helped me a lot with hot flashes and the bio identical Progesterone makes me feel better too. Progesterone is what carries thyroid hormone into the cells so if you're low in it then your thyroid hormone won't go where it's supposed to be and will build up in your blood and cause your TSH level to appear "normal" but you can still be hypo thyroid. Of course I practice medicine without a license LOL! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2018 at 11:31 PM, Belinda said:

Of course I practice medicine without a license LOL! 

😂😂😂 Me too! I’m always giving “medical” advice to my family, whether they want it or not!

I’ll definitely try both! I am hypo and my levels always come back “normal” even though I haven’t felt normal in quite some time.  The best I have felt, since having my hysterectomy, was when I was on hormone replacement.  But the estrogen gave me a bad skin reaction that was unbearable.  My Dr. wouldn’t accept that it was the estrogen causing my problems and wouldn’t keep me on the progesterone and testosterone without the estrogen 🙁 so I stopped going to her.  We live in a very rural area and most of our gyno’s are male, they don’t think hormone replacement is necessary and most won’t even consider it! 

• Like 1

My mom had a hysterctomy in her late 30's and used HRT. I remember it was really rough on her at the very beginning.

I didn't opt for HRT when I went through menapause and just stuck to getting through it naturally. I am afraid of taking it because a friend of mine got breast cancer from it within a year of starting it. But its not a light decision by any means. Before you go through menapause you really need to think ahead of time and make that decision beforehand if you are going to use HRT. I read up a lot on it and studied the therapy and effects before making a decision. Its a very personal decision and only you should make it... not your doctor or your BFF or anyone but you!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, hometowncandles said:

😂😂😂 Me too! I’m always giving “medical” advice to my family, whether they want it or not!

I’ll definitely try both! I am hypo and my levels always come back “normal” even though I haven’t felt normal in quite some time.  The best I have felt, since having my hysterectomy, was when I was on hormone replacement.  But the estrogen gave me a bad skin reaction that was unbearable.  My Dr. wouldn’t accept that it was the estrogen causing my problems and wouldn’t keep me on the progesterone and testosterone without the estrogen 🙁 so I stopped going to her.  We live in a very rural area and most of our gyno’s are male, they don’t think hormone replacement is necessary and most won’t even consider it! 

Have you ever considered using bio-identical hormones? They're just like the hormones we have in our bodies naturally. I use Pro-Gest that I get from Swanson Vitamins. They have a natural estrogen too but I haven't used it in awhile. Just something to consider. Swanson is very reasonable and you can order it online yourself.

Doctors only "practice" medicine. They certainly don't know everything and sometimes we have to be our own doctor. We live in a rural area too and there's one PA in town that did blood work on me and my TSH level came back too low and he cut my thyroid meds. I was about to run out and didn't have time to get to my hormone doctor so I let him cut them. My hair started falling out and I felt even more tired than usual. About a month later he did more blood work and wanted to cut them again! I guess he'd been happy when my TSH level got to a "normal" range even if I wasn't even able to get our of bed! I finally went back to my hormone doctor who has  a holistic view on stuff and she told me that I didn't need my thyroid meds cut but I needed progesterone and explained it's role in carrying thyroid hormone to the cells. Doctors really need to look at the big picture instead of just treating a blood test. 

• Like 1

Belinda you are so right. We really need to "listen" to our bodies and follow up on what we feel it right for us. Especially when you know there is something wrong with your medical care. The only time I changed my medication and treatment was when I followed my instincts when my doctor put me back on meds that made me violently ill. I stopped the meds immediately and got well within a week. Needless to say I found myself a new doctor.

• Like 1

I am 49 and have had horrible night sweats for at least 6 years.  My mom had them horribly too and at one time

she also did the bio identical hormones, which she said helped alot. She says she still gets hot at night, but

not the sweats.  

What is weird is I don't get hot flashes during the day....just the sweats at night, no matter the cool temp.  I wake up drenched

nearly every night and have to start stripping clothes off because they are soaked, and now I am cold. I'm exhausted from

the sleep disturbance....if I get 4 hours of sleep, I'm lucky.

I tried EO's, tried black cohosh, I bought 200 dollar bamboo sheets....bamboo shredded pillows...frozen pillow cooler thingy

that you put in your pillow. Not wanting to do HRT if I don't need to, so hoping this will subside in the next 10 years LOL

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Belinda said:

@debratant, would you consider doing bio identical hormones? If there isn't a doctor around you that will prescribe them maybe you could try Pro=Gest from Swanson Vitamins. It's helped me a whole lot. I truly hope you find some relief somewhere. 

Belinda what is bio identical hormones?

last year I developed this rash all around my mouth and thought it was makeup I was using - went to a couple dermatologist and the steroid creams made it worse and it was to the point they were going to patch test me for ingredient allergies 

during this time is when all heck broke loose with my cycles and hot flashes and feeling of passing out so I had to my ob/gyn and he did hormone testing on me 

in a nut shell my estrogen levels were through the roof and my progesterone non existent- he wanted me to do the lab made progesterone cream on my arms and have the blood work re-done 

well my mom and my aunt both had breast cancer - both were estrogen based cancer and my sister was going through similar things and was told not to touch any hormones at all based off the family history of cancer 

so of course I freaked and never did the cream and never went back to the doctor 

but in thinking about it - if my estrogen levels are too high and I'm having a cycles from hell twice a month I am probably more at risk of breast cancer now then taking progesterone....I do need to bring my levels down I'm thinking 

but once I told the dermatologist this he said the rash absolutely could be hormone related and it did Go away so I haven't really thought about again until now 

tell me more about this ....I am going to make a appointment with my gyn again and get to the bottom of this - I'm terrified of meds and hormones but I am thinking I'm a walking time bomb right now 

I had to have a 3D Mammo a couple months ago because the tissue changed so much from last year so now I am flipping out 😳

19 hours ago, Belinda said:

@debratant, would you consider doing bio identical hormones? If there isn't a doctor around you that will prescribe them maybe you could try Pro=Gest from Swanson Vitamins. It's helped me a whole lot. I truly hope you find some relief somewhere. 

I am going to google pro gest right now, thanks Belinda

My Gyno did not recommend HRTbecause I am a smoker and side affects....so will research the bio identical to see if there are any risks 

with smokers. 

Edited to add, since Moonshine mentioned it.....my bloodwork and levels were normal....minor perimenopause, but nothing thru the roof.

I can't think of anything else that would cause these night sweats.  I'm not very hormonal during that time of the month (at least I don't

think so LOL) I don't get emotional. Just the normal occassional cramps, backache.  In fact, my period is getting lighter and lighter each

month.  

Moonshine, for sure I am not comfortable taking estrogen or progesterone or testoterone either.....would rather deal naturally.

But I will be googling the bio identical.

When my mom used them, she had to go to a special doctor somewhere outside of Detroit....the hormones were touted at

the time by Suzanne Somers.  My mom swore it helped her tremendously.  At the time, she had to pay cash...as it was

not covered by insurance.

Edited by debratant
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, moonshine said:

Belinda what is bio identical hormones?

last year I developed this rash all around my mouth and thought it was makeup I was using - went to a couple dermatologist and the steroid creams made it worse and it was to the point they were going to patch test me for ingredient allergies 

during this time is when all heck broke loose with my cycles and hot flashes and feeling of passing out so I had to my ob/gyn and he did hormone testing on me 

in a nut shell my estrogen levels were through the roof and my progesterone non existent- he wanted me to do the lab made progesterone cream on my arms and have the blood work re-done 

well my mom and my aunt both had breast cancer - both were estrogen based cancer and my sister was going through similar things and was told not to touch any hormones at all based off the family history of cancer 

so of course I freaked and never did the cream and never went back to the doctor 

but in thinking about it - if my estrogen levels are too high and I'm having a cycles from hell twice a month I am probably more at risk of breast cancer now then taking progesterone....I do need to bring my levels down I'm thinking 

but once I told the dermatologist this he said the rash absolutely could be hormone related and it did Go away so I haven't really thought about again until now 

tell me more about this ....I am going to make a appointment with my gyn again and get to the bottom of this - I'm terrified of meds and hormones but I am thinking I'm a walking time bomb right now 

I had to have a 3D Mammo a couple months ago because the tissue changed so much from last year so now I am flipping out 😳

From everything I've read about bio-identical hormones, they are hormones that have been made naturally and are identical in their molecular shape and structure to the hormones made in the human body. 

1 hour ago, debratant said:

When my mom used them, she had to go to a special doctor somewhere outside of Detroit....the hormones were touted at

the time by Suzanne Somers.  My mom swore it helped her tremendously.  At the time, she had to pay cash...as it was

not covered by insurance.

I was just about to say that Suzanne Sommers is a big advocate of bio identical hormones. I think her book Knockout tells more about how she feels about them and also "I'm too Young For This". I can honestly say that the Pro-Gest makes me feel better. My doctor is a D.O. and does bio identical. That's your best bet in finding a doctor that prescribes them but I don't use hers because they are pretty expensive and Pro-Gest has the same thing in it which is wild yams. I would be so scared to do synthetic hormone therapy, but then again I'm a 14 year Non Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor and I never did chemo and chose instead to do many alternative treatments along with some very low dose radiation (only because the tumor was so big it was choking me). People always tell me how brave I am to have gone down this road but in my mind, it's not because I'm brave at all. It's because chemotherapy scared me more than having cancer and doing an alternative treatment! I'm all about natural if you can find what works! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Western medicine for certain things, just not chronic illnesses.

1 hour ago, debratant said:

I can't think of anything else that would cause these night sweats

There are other things that can cause night sweats. I would research it if I were you. I'm not trying to scare you at all but I would defiantly google things that can cause night sweats. 

37 minutes ago, Belinda said:

There are other things that can cause night sweats. I would research it if I were you. I'm not trying to scare you at all but I would defiantly google things that can cause night sweats. 

Yes, I have googled lol! Google can scare you.  I googled way back when they started.  Thyroid tests normal, negative for HIV, clear xrays,  no TB, blood work clear.

ALL of my bloodwork was done again this year. Cancer...who knows.  Lymphoma is one on the list for night sweats.

Congrats on being a 14 year NHL survivor! My MIL also had NHL....she was stage 4 at one point, then the Dr removed her spleen as a last resort and she

had a miraculous recovery.  She lived to be 86 and was cancer free for nearly 30 years! She passed of heart failure 2 years ago.  She told me she had night

sweats with lymphoma.  That was my first concern years ago with me.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, debratant said:

Congrats on being a 14 year NHL survivor! My MIL also had NHL....she was stage 4 at one point, then the Dr removed her spleen as a last resort and she

had a miraculous recovery.  She lived to be 86 and was cancer free for nearly 30 years! She passed of heart failure 2 years ago.  She told me she had night

sweats with lymphoma.  That was my first concern years ago with me

I never had night sweats with lymphoma so it doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is. I was a stage 4 at one time too. I didn't have the rash and fever that most get either. I'm so thankful that I didn't. Yours is probably some hormone imbalance that the doctors are missing maybe? Hopefully you'll get some relief soon! I know those can be miserable.

I had both night sweats and hot flashes for years and both are typical symptoms of menapause. Eventually they both subside and fade away. Not necessarily at the same time. I found the night sweats to be the worst of the two and would take hot flashes anytime over them.

My advice is to be very careful taking medications for menapause symptoms including supplements or organic alternatives. These are very powerful drugs and alter the natural changes your body goes through during menapause. Just make sure if you do use any type of meds or supplements that you do so under your doctors supervision so he may monitor you while you use them.

• Like 1