Soy Wax for Lotion Bars & Massage Candles

Hi, I am relatively new to candle & tart making but seem to be getting the hang of it. I want to try making a massage candle & found links to Soapqueen’s recipes on this forum. It seems a lot like making lotion bars. 

My question is on soy waxes. I have 2 blends that I know can’t be used - a parasoy & GB 464. However, I also have some GB 402 on the way for another project. From what I’ve read, this is pure soy, has a low melt point and is FDA approved. I’ve seen conflicting thoughts on using it in cosmetics (lotion bars & massage candles), though. 

Is there any reason not to use 402 in skincare products? I specifically want a low melt point. And I really don’t want to buy more wax just for a few massage candles for personal use. 

Thoughts? 

• 2 weeks later...

The GB 415 is 100% hydrogenated soybean oil, which does not pose a significant risk for skin reactions, but be cautious against labeling it as skin-safe for liability reasons.

Without it being dermatologically tested and approved, you could be held responsible if someone were to have a reaction when using your product.

GB 464 and 444 both have added additives... If you make them for yourself I'm sure it's fine, if you sell them I would look for a wax that is skin safe. 

On 1/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, strugglebrother said:

The GB 415 is 100% hydrogenated soybean oil, which does not pose a significant risk for skin reactions, but be cautious against labeling it as skin-safe for liability reasons.

Without it being dermatologically tested and approved, you could be held responsible if someone were to have a reaction when using your product.

GB 464 and 444 both have added additives... If you make them for yourself I'm sure it's fine, if you sell them I would look for a wax that is skin safe. 

Thanks so much. I don't plan to sell these, so I'm fine taking a risk on myself. LOL! I totally agree on the risk on labeling. 

415 would be my first choice. C3, last time I checked on the manufacturer site, was labeled as skin safe.

if you dig far enough in the google rabbit hole you will find all the tech publications for any wax you have. When all else fails, I give a quick email to the manufacturer.

• Thanks 1