Wax and Wick Tests - Akosoy (gb) 444

TallTayl

• 4 weeks later...

444 is a soy wax with 2% soy based additive and manufactured by AAK soy / Golden Brands

I did a square pan test with this wax with zero additives or fragrance to see which wicks would perform best and based the sizes off my jar from what has worked in the past with other waxes 

I use the 8 ounce square Mason mainly and this test is based off that going a little bigger in size seeing 444 is a very hard soy wax when set 

444 is in flake form with a melt point of 119-125 (not sure why there is a range on this one) 

It has a slightly greasy feel to it, not hard and crunchy like other flake soys and little to no odor dry 

when melting I didn't notice any "greasy" smell but I didn't let the temp get up very high risking discoloration and odor 

I heated until just melted which was around 160- I then let it cool to 105 and poured - biggest lesson learned here was not to use aluminum pans for this as the wick tabs would not stick when the wax was poured, next round I will use a "real" pan

So here is a picture of the pan after cure for 5 days - I chose wick series I have here and have used often 

IMG_7539.JPG

Edited by moonshine
  • Thanks 1

That eco10 looks great! 

Any idea what the melt pool diameters ended up at? Theneco 10 seems to be drawing down the wax nicely too. 

The second I would say is the RRD. The little mushroom has me wondering how efficient the burn is. Doesn't look like (from my angle) that it consumed as much of the melted wax fuel. I can't really tell from the pic. 

The cd is holding it's own, for a smaller diameter candle it might be a good choice too.

thanks for doing this!!!!

I didn't take the measurements until the end of the third burn hour 3....next time around I will remember to do that 

the eco is doing great and you are right the RRD didn't seem to consume as much 

I will post the second and third burns with the end results and measurements shortly 

• Thanks 1

Here is the second burn hour 1 and 2

I can't find hour 3 and hope I didn't delete it 

This my first time doing pan tests and documenting it so bear with me 

I usually just use jars and go with what works in the second round of testing 

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I so appreciate you two doing the testing and giving everyone your results!! It still amazes me how willing to share everyone is on this forum.  

If you have time, could you please expand on the reasons for the pan tests...does the diameter help with jar sizing...sorry sometimes i can be a bit slow *shudder*.

• Like 1

Yes this was a lot easier to do and see side by side how they are burning 

when I chose my wicks for this test I went based off what I thought would work for my jar size just from previous experience and then looking at charts with the ROC and melt pools 

pieces of paper would be easier documenting as I am sitting here trying to find the 3rd burn and results to post - they are a mess in my phone 😂

I even made a album to put them in but they are not in order at all and I still can't find hour 3 on the 2nd burn I must have deleted it or forgot it all together 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

444 - 3rd and final burn hours 1-2 and 3 and a picture after extinguished 

now in looking at the these results I would say ECO was definitely the winner with this wax in overall performance and the size seems right on for my jar so this is where I would start my testing in the jars and adding fragrance to see if I need to go up or down in size and find out if adding fragrance creates mushrooms or sooting

IMG_7619.JPG

IMG_7620.JPG

IMG_7621.JPG

IMG_7622.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

IMG_7747.JPG

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

HTP I would have picked as second runner up but in testing they are a complete fail when adding fragrance- the CD are actually the best next choice so I am continuing my testing in the actual jars with a skewered hole and plopping in eco and cd to see which will be my final choice in the finished product 

• 2 months later...

I have read good things about cd wicks and am thinking of switching.  I use the 444 also and I want to provide the best candle I can for my customers.  I have felt like the Eco’s struggle at times to perform well but it looks very good here.