Wax and Wick Test - Clarus 3022

TallTayl

Clarus 3022 wax is a para soy approximately 70% soy to 30% paraffin.

Color: ivory

Form: 10lb slab

Melt Point:

Feel/Texture: Firm, slightly greasy.

Odor: little to no odor.

Goal Melt Pool" 2.75-3" for tins and status jars single wicked.

Observations: extremely easy wax to work with. One tray I barely melted before pouring into the cold pan. The other I heated to 180 and poured. Both ended up smooth, shiny and with no apparent cavities or surface issues. This wax seems very "manufacturing friendly".

Heat Gun Test: Several waxes I have worked with since the changes to soy have not responded well to heat guns. Clarus 3022 melted and cooled perfectly when heat was applied.

Note: Clarus 3022 is a container wax. There was about 1/8" - 1/4" shrinkage in these pans. Could be due to the dimensions and temps of this wax.

Wicks in this test: RRD47, ECO8, CD12, CDN16, CSN16, Performa 100, Wood Wick Original Booster 0.03" x 1/2" wide, Wood WIck Original Booster 0.04" x 1/2" wide, Wood Wick Dual 0.02, HTP 104, WI777, LX24.

Pans were poured and allowed to fully cool and cure for 2 weeks before lighting. Even though this is not a scent throw test, a proper cure of the wax should give better, more reliable results. Ambient temperature in the ship approximately 60*F

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

• Like 1

First Burn

Very early on I knew the dual wood wick would fail. It was difficult to light, and barely remained lit.

Also knew early on that I had chosen mostly too small sizes in these series to meet the 3" container objective.

The two original booster wood wicks burned steady and beautifully from the beginning.

DSC_0286.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

• Like 1

First burn - hour 2

RRD,  ECO, and CD burning well, with no mushrooming.

CDN, CSN,Performa, HTP and LX developing mushrooms and "ugly" flames.

Wood wicks burning steadily.Flames may be a bit tall, but watching.

Dual a complete fail.

DSC_0302.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG

• Like 1

Burn 1 - Hour 3

RRD, ECO and CD still look clean. CDN potentially a good choice if I can find a big enough size. will need to wick up at least 2 sizes.

HTP, WI and LX do not seem to like this wax. all developed huge mushrooms.

Wood wicks burned well, but discolored the wax. In a container I may need to wick down a size or two to account for the air current.

DSC_0306.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

• Like 1

Next Step:

None of the traditional wicks I chose passed this test. Normally I would eliminate the mushrooming wicks entirely from further testing. For the sake of completeness I will wick up just to see if a larger size performs any better without mushrooming.

I also have a few wicks from Precision wicking to add to the test. The wicks were recommended by Precision, so well worth the try.

I will melt these down and re-wick with larger sizes of the original wicks as needed based on above burns. Then I'll cure for at least 1 week before lighting again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...