First Craft Show! - Issue with candles sweating??

Wow 

that looks really bad 

you need to light one preferably outside and see if it catches fire 

something is very very off and I recommend you not sell these at all 

What did you heat the wax to- what temp did you add FO and how often and much did you stir 

what companies are the FO and you measured by weight 1 ounce of FO and poured it into 16 ounces of wax?

thats not looking like a temp issue to me - did you add stearic by chance?

15 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Wow 

that looks really bad 

you need to light one preferably outside and see if it catches fire 

something is very very off and I recommend you not sell these at all 

What did you heat the wax to- what temp did you add FO and how often and much did you stir 

what companies are the FO and you measured by weight 1 ounce of FO and poured it into 16 ounces of wax?

thats not looking like a temp issue to me - did you add stearic by chance?

I heat wax to 190-185, add FO at 185-180(As soon as I see 185 I add). I stir for no less than 2 minutes & then stir occasionally as they cool down to 150 then pour. 

My FOs are from Candle Science, Natures Garden & Lonestar 

Yes, I weigh out 16 oz of wax & weight out 1 oz of FO. I do not add anything else to my wax, just the FO. 

This is the same procedure I’ve been doing tests with since August. But this batch of wax looked creamy instead of golden clear ...The wax seemed SO different... it had bubbles like “popping” and stuff as it was heating - never had that before - but my test burns were consistent with previous testing so I figured it was ok.  I’m really concerned also, can’t sell them like this!! I’m upset because I’ve annouced website opening & now need to figure out how to back out of all that!! 😱 This is a MESS! 

Trying to give any additional details as I think of them to try to figure out the issue! All my procedures are the same.. I’m just wondering if somehow my wax had water or something??? Didn’t people have that issue? It didn’t seem wet at all when it was in the box, but just heated up differently. 

Edited by ChristinaD

Just to clarify ... that is oil on the top of those candles and not water from condensation?

I think if it was "popping/bubbling" as it was heating, that it may have had some moisture content.

This hasn't yet happened to me, but my guess is that if that is the case, that it would be good to "cook" the wax for a little bit of time, maybe bring it up to 185dF, then allow it to drop some and bring it up again, or maintain it at that temp to hopefully draw any moisture out of it.  If it's moisture that has been trapped in there and then it went through drastic temperature changes, I can see how that might happen.  Is it oil on the surface or water?  If it's water, can't they be aired out and blown with a hair dryer to evaporate it off and leave them uncovered for awhile?

Edited by birdcharm

6 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Just to clarify ... that is oil on the top of those candles and not water from condensation?

I think if it was "popping/bubbling" as it was heating, that it may have had some moisture content.

This hasn't yet happened to me, but my guess is that if that is the case, that it would be good to "cook" the wax for a little bit of time, maybe bring it up to 185dF, then allow it to drop some and bring it up again, or maintain it at that temp to hopefully draw any moisture out of it.  If it's moisture that has been trapped in there and then it went through drastic temperature changes, I can see how that might happen.  Is it oil on the surface or water?  If it's water, can't they be aired out and blown with a hair dryer to evaporate it off and leave them uncovered for awhile?

I’m not sure, it smells very strong when I wipe it with my finger & smell it. I feel like oil is possibly “worse case senerio” and it could  be condensation?? I really am at a completely loss ... I’d be so happy if it was just water! That would also give me a solution for how to fix this in the future!! & then I wouldn’t have to worry about them being a fire hazard!! It’s not every candle but it’s ever scent ... some were taken to work by my husband & those are the ones sweating the worse- the ones in the photos ... So far the ones I have at home, down in the basement are fine. I just brought 2 up to test & see if the temp change will effect them. One with lid on and one with lid off. It’s only been 30 minutes but they are not sweating yet. 

OK! Update ::: NONE of the candles I have at home are sweating at all! Only the ones my husband brought to work with him, (like 20 out of 100 are at work with him) my husband’s work place has to be kept warm because he works with clay that has to be at a certain temp to be pliable - apparently the ones from the craft show that were sweaty must have “dried up” somehow ...  So do you think this means it’s just the temp change??? And If so, Does this mean I’m going to have BIG problems trying to mail these candles?? AND lastly ... is here ANY way to fix this issue, or is this just one of the unavoidable soy wax “whoas”?? 

** when he gets home, I’m going to Light one outside and try to confirm that it’s not FO seeping out — since I know this is a safety concern! Any other advice on this?? You guys are Amazing! Thanks so much!!!

32AF24D5-5484-4A8B-AA76-FDF9D5E41877.jpeg

Edited by ChristinaD

@birdcharm If I get another batch that appears this way. (I’ve used this entire box) Will heating it up - letting it cool - and then heating up again “fix” the issue, if it’s moisture? Also, should I heat it to a higher temp? Like what would your exact procedure be for that, if you had excess moisture in your wax? Thanks for your help! Ive been FREAKING out today!! 😂😂🙈

@GoldieMN - I thought it was happening at home also, but it’s apparently only the ones that my husband took to work, all the ones at home seem to still be ok. The ones from the craft show that were left open, had the issue but appear to have "dried up" I know his work is warmer than I keep my house ... so could this just be a warmer environment type thing? And is there any way to keep this from happening? I’d hate for customers to have this happen to them!

Edited by ChristinaD

I use 8% and sometimes a little more, and I've never had 'sweating'.  With 444, you're supposed to be able to use a maximum of 12% or 2 oz per pound according to Candlescience. 

I just checked and it's the same amount for 464, so it shouldn't be the amount of FO you're using.

Sorry for your troubles.  I know it has to be frustrating.

• Thanks 1

I'm new to candle making myself but growing up in extremely humid areas... it sounds like humidity might be the culprit here. Unfortunately, this might be an issue in shipping because it seems like the candles are very sensitive to humidity changes. I'm sure there is a way to fix that by using additives or something but I'll let someone else chime in on that part. I'm no expert there. I imagine that might also require a lot more testing.

First off, OMG!!! I LOVE YOUR LOGO/NAME/LABELS!!! 

Second, I'm not as knowledgeable as many experts on this forum, I've just made all kinds of mistakes and learned by them.  Thoughts:  I had water getting into my wax when I melted wax in a pour pot placed in a pan of water. Are you melting in this way?   Also, you mentioned "popping" when heating the wax.  Could you hear it sizzling or popping?  If this was happening before adding oil, I would think you have eliminated everything but the wax as the problem.  

Third, do you have a new box of wax, dated differently from this one?  I would start testing with a different box of wax while you figure out if you can save these other jars.  That way if it was that box of wax, you have a head start on your next batch of jars. 

Fourth, learn from my biggest problem, write every single thing down as you test.  *shudder*

GoldieMN

9 minutes ago, GailC said:

I use 8% and sometimes a little more, and I've never had 'sweating'.  With 444, you're supposed to be able to use a maximum of 12% or 2 oz per pound according to Candlescience. 

I just checked and it's the same amount for 464, so it shouldn't be the amount of FO you're using.

Sorry for your troubles.  I know it has to be frustrating.

Yes, it is very frustrating! And I agree that I do not think it’s my FO as I’m on the low end for how much I’m using. Thank you :)

3 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

I'm new to candle making myself but growing up in extremely humid areas... it sounds like humidity might be the culprit here. Unfortunately, this might be an issue in shipping because it seems like the candles are very sensitive to humidity changes. I'm sure there is a way to fix that by using additives or something but I'll let someone else chime in on that part. I'm no expert there. I imagine that might also require a lot more testing.

Possibly, I just never had an issue until this Box of wax! :/ I didn’t know much about additives yet, so that’s a good suggestion :) I’ll see if anyone else chimes in on that. Thanks so much for your help! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

First off, OMG!!! I LOVE YOUR LOGO/NAME/LABELS!!! 

Second, I'm not as knowledgeable as many experts on this forum, I've just made all kinds of mistakes and learned by them.  Thoughts:  I had water getting into my wax when I melted wax in a pour pot placed in a pan of water. Are you melting in this way?   Also, you mentioned "popping" when heating the wax.  Could you hear it sizzling or popping?  If this was happening before adding oil, I would think you have eliminated everything but the wax as the problem.  

Third, do you have a new box of wax, dated differently from this one?  I would start testing with a different box of wax while you figure out if you can save these other jars.  That way if it was that box of wax, you have a head start on your next batch of jars. 

Fourth, learn from my biggest problem, write every single thing down as you test.  *shudder*

GoldieMN

I am melting that way, I plan to switch to a pesto pot soon. I watched closely and do not think i got any water form the pot in there .. I haven’t had this issue at all until this box of wax, so I strongly suspect that it may be this box. Waiting for my supplier to get more wax in - hopefully tomorrow so I can start testing with a new box! This so much!!! :))) 

I wasn't getting water in the wax either.  A tiny pinhole had developed in my pour pot which led to water getting into my wax.  I noticed the wax in my jars looked different.  Then I noticed wax in the pot of water as the hole got a little bigger, I guess.

GoldieMN

And, believe me, a few of us were pulling our hair out when soy changed this past year.  I'm still testing a couple of my favorite fragrance oils to get a decent hot throw.  Sad to say, I am "satisfied" with the throw, but it isn't what it use to be even though I've gone down a few sizes in wicks. :(   I'm using 464 in pint jars; Premier wicks or Cds.  

Hang in there is what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

GoldieMN

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I wasn't getting water in the wax either.  A tiny pinhole had developed in my pour pot which led to water getting into my wax.  I noticed the wax in my jars looked different.  Then I noticed wax in the pot of water as the hole got a little bigger, I guess.

GoldieMN

Wow!  Was the hole in the bottom of the pour pot? I use water to melt my wax but I put a cookie cutter in the pot of water so that the pour pot wasn't sitting directly on heat. I never would've thought about it getting a hole in it though. Good to know!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lisabeth13 said:

Wow!  Was the hole in the bottom of the pour pot? I use water to melt my wax but I put a cookie cutter in the pot of water so that the pour pot wasn't sitting directly on heat. I never would've thought about it getting a hole in it though. Good to know!

Yes, in the bottom along the outer edge.  I use a medium-size roaster now with an enamel pan.  I first switched to a Presto pot which eventually started shedding little black flakes in the wax.  Sigh. . .  Did I mention I've made lots of mistakes?  lol  So now I melt in the roaster to about 180, pour required amount of wax into pour pots, heat to 183 on an electric hot plate, add oil, stir for 3 minutes, and so on.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

Oh wow! Those things are good to know!! Thank you! How long did the presto pot last before the flaking started to happen? I was just about to get one ... but this makes me second guess it!!

3 minutes ago, ChristinaD said:

Thank you so much!! :) 

I know others use them all the time so I don't want to give them a bad rap.  It was brand new, probably used it a little less than a year.  Never used metal in it to stir; only a wood paint stick.

GoldieMN

8 hours ago, ChristinaD said:

Yes, they are the 9oz straight wall jars. I am currently using Eco 10's and have had ZERO issues, until this =/ I've only been learning and experimenting since August, but its been morning, noon and night, since I quit my job to stay home with my daughter =) Also, my husband has been helping me nights and weekends. This was actually very first time selling, so I don't have any best sellers yet! But I have about 10 testers between friends, old coworkers and my husbands coworkers as well as many more  (45+) who have done "sniff tests" for us! The favorites seem to be "Sea Salt and Orchid, Egyptian Amber and Indian Sandalwood.

Egyptian Amber Candle.jpg

Sea Salt and Orchid Candle.jpg

Indian Sandalwood Candle.jpg

I just wanted to let you know that I just love your logo + labels. Great Job ! 

Even though I don't use your wax, I feel inclined to chime in here. I'm one of the lucky ones that has to redo all my testing with the 2017 wax.  I've been using 415 for over 10years and this year's wax is like starting over. I will agree with you bout the consistency - mine has gone from a clear/oily to kind of an creamy/opaque. It's also fussy and I am always fighting bubbles. I did also experience a little sweating in the warmer summer/fall temps, I just made sure I didn't rush to lid them. That all being said, at this point, I am quite happy with the wax so far(ht is possibly even better than before), and kind of wish I had started with it. Not happy with the re-testing though, I've lost most of my season.