Scent Loss in Melts

Nickie

There is a bit of controversy going on in the Vendor wax world, pertaining to one particular vendor's wax melts losing scent after around the 6-8 month mark. This wax blend is a soft, highly sliceable, all paraffin blend. 

My my question is......what causes this?  How can I keep it from happening to my melts?  

Obviously I use high quality oils, but I do have a soft, all paraffin blend. I do know that wax melts don't last forever, but I want them to last as long as possible, as I know lots of customers buy loads of wax that they think need "curing" so they keep it for months and months on end before melting. 

Had anyone had had problems with this issue?  Does soy help melts last longer before burning?  

Your thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated! 

On 12/3/2017 at 11:13 AM, soshiegirl said:

Do you know what type of wax they are using?  It could be the fragrance, fragrance load or additives used or a combination of both.  

She states that her wax is an all paraffin blend. Plus her wax is very transparent, which is not possible to get when using soy. 

On 12/4/2017 at 5:33 PM, Nickie said:

She states that her wax is an all paraffin blend. Plus her wax is very transparent, which is not possible to get when using soy. 

On 12/4/2017 at 5:33 PM, Nickie said:

Which paraffin is transparent ?

ive seen several YouTube videos 

on different wax vendors as they 

are referred to and to me the reviewers that make the videos 

seem odd to me. As in they get 

into the wax thing a little too much 

I wish I could remember the one lady's name but geez imo she takes this whole thing a little too 

seriously. I mean we're talking about wax here. She's over the top

and  quite mean. Do people really take it that seriously . Sorry I went 

off track but it's so weird to me .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@Moonstar, when I've made tarts with Candlewic's CBL129 they were somewhat transparent. You couldn't see through them, but they were almost like a super thick stained glass, only not as shiny. Definitely not a flat opaque like other waxes. Isn't the IGI 4627 kind of transparent too? I bet if you mixed the two you'd get pretty transparent tart.

I am always astounded at how rabid people can get over ridiculous stuff. Their lives must be pretty empty if they can waste that much time and energy on such minutia...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2017 at 7:52 PM, Moonstar said:

Which paraffin is transparent ?

ive seen several YouTube videos 

on different wax vendors as they 

are referred to and to me the reviewers that make the videos 

seem odd to me. As in they get 

into the wax thing a little too much 

I wish I could remember the one lady's name but geez imo she takes this whole thing a little too 

seriously. I mean we're talking about wax here. She's over the top

and  quite mean. Do people really take it that seriously . Sorry I went 

off track but it's so weird to me .

4627 and 4725 both have a transparent quality, as compared to other waxes. 

I don't disagree with you!!  These people can be harsh and VERY crazed!  But the sad part about the success or failure of the online wax melt busiensses in this circle is driven by these types of reviews. One mistake and you're done. That is why the scent loss was concerning to me. Many of the wax melt accounts on YouTube and instagram have thousands upon thousands of followers, they all follow each other and listen to one another. The competition for wax melt companies is already stiff, without any errors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickie said:

I don't disagree with you!!  These people can be harsh and VERY crazed!  But the sad part about the success or failure of the online wax melt busiensses in this circle is driven by these types of reviews. One mistake and you're done. That is why the scent loss was concerning to me. Many of the wax melt accounts on YouTube and instagram have thousands upon thousands of followers, they all follow each other and listen to one another. The competition for wax melt companies is already stiff, without any errors. 

210% agreed

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a member of several wax groups on FB, and it amazes me how much they spend on tarts, clamshells, etc.  I've ordered from 8-10 vendors that the "waxies" adore and I found most of them to be....ok.  Scent wise some were boring, their melts were not stronger than mine, and one vendor I think adds a single note scent to all of their blends to give them a unifying scent.  I found one that was really innovative in their blends and am a huge fan, and one that was really unique in their branding. The others seem to be a lot of hype, as far as I am concerned. The makers must be really good at PR and promoting their brand. 

• Like 3

The wax reviews are off the charts. Since this is my self imposed down time I frequently watch videos, what they burn down to how its packaged. They want highly fragrances items, great scent throw etc. Downright demanding, however it simply astounds me as to how much $$ these customers spend. At my shows I engage my customers, educate them and explain all I can. The videos while an insight into what people look for I have found that these customers rely heavily on what other customers tell them and we all know what happens in a room when you tell a secret to 1 asking them to pass it on it gets distorted. I personally love my all paraffin wax, but have come across a few fragrances that fade quickly.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, Velma said:

I'm a member of several wax groups on FB, and it amazes me how much they spend on tarts, clamshells, etc.  I've ordered from 8-10 vendors that the "waxies" adore and I found most of them to be....ok.  Scent wise some were boring, their melts were not stronger than mine, and one vendor I think adds a single note scent to all of their blends to give them a unifying scent.  I found one that was really innovative in their blends and am a huge fan, and one that was really unique in their branding. The others seem to be a lot of hype, as far as I am concerned. The makers must be really good at PR and promoting their brand. 

I used to be up with it and know about the must have wax vendors like CFTKR, Rosegirls etc etc, what Vendor has a single note scent to their blend? Which one are you a huge fan of? TIA

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, Velma said:

I too agree with both you and TT

On 1/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, RobinGu said:

The wax reviews are off the charts. Since this is my self imposed down time I frequently watch videos, what they burn down to how its packaged. They want highly fragrances items, great scent throw etc. Downright demanding, however it simply astounds me as to how much $$ these customers spend. At my shows I engage my customers, educate them and explain all I can. The videos while an insight into what people look for I have found that these customers rely heavily on what other customers tell them and we all know what happens in a room when you tell a secret to 1 asking them to pass it on it gets distorted. I personally love my all paraffin wax, but have come across a few fragrances that fade quickly.

May I ask which FOs fade quickly 

in your experience? 

On 1/12/2018 at 4:31 AM, mulberrysoap said:

I used to be up with it and know about the must have wax vendors like CFTKR, Rosegirls etc etc, what Vendor has a single note scent to their blend? Which one are you a huge fan of? TIA

I'm a huge fan of Vintage Chic Scents - all of her scents are her own blends, and then she builds them. For  example, she has a scent called Jackie O, which is like 4 scents blended. She has a Cookie Monster scent that is 5 scents, and she combines these two blends  to make Cookie Monster loves Jackie O.     Her total scent list is ridiculously long, but she restocks monthly with some sort of a theme, so every scent is not available every month, or even every other month.   I have some of her melts made early in 2017 and they smell amazing.

I *think*  Hayden Rowe has a single scent note added to every scent, at least all of the ones I ordered had a similar note. My friends also picked it up as well when they sniffed the scent shots I received.  Her packaging is very upscale, but I wasn't overly impressed with either the scents or the longevity of the scent.  

Edited by Velma
spelling
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 12:56 PM, Nickie said:

There is a bit of controversy going on in the Vendor wax world, pertaining to one particular vendor's wax melts losing scent after around the 6-8 month mark. This wax blend is a soft, highly sliceable, all paraffin blend. 

My my question is......what causes this?  How can I keep it from happening to my melts?  

Obviously I use high quality oils, but I do have a soft, all paraffin blend. I do know that wax melts don't last forever, but I want them to last as long as possible, as I know lots of customers buy loads of wax that they think need "curing" so they keep it for months and months on end before melting. 

Had anyone had had problems with this issue?  Does soy help melts last longer before burning?  

Your thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated! 

Nickie can you let us know which vendor is said to lose scent?  I'm just curious, as I use a softer parasoy blend.    And if anyone wants to share these crazy wax reviews on youtube, please feel free! LOL 

On 12/6/2017 at 12:40 PM, Sarah S said:

@Moonstar, when I've made tarts with Candlewic's CBL129 they were somewhat transparent. You couldn't see through them, but they were almost like a super thick stained glass, only not as shiny. Definitely not a flat opaque like other waxes. Isn't the IGI 4627 kind of transparent too? I bet if you mixed the two you'd get pretty transparent tart.

I am always astounded at how rabid people can get over ridiculous stuff. Their lives must be pretty empty if they can waste that much time and energy on such minutia...

I think the same thing. It's almost like a sickness. One lady was talking about how she ripped into the BBW lady for not having a certain scent in stock and how she drove across state lines to buy the one she wanted. Don't these people have jobs ??? Lol 😂 just very unhappy and empty lives from what little I've seen. Personally, I can't tolerate mean spirited people 

on a positive note I will try your suggestion on candelwic wax

ive never used any of their waxes 

thanks for the tip 😊🙌🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/8/2017 at 3:00 AM, Nickie said:

4627 and 4725 both have a transparent quality, as compared to other waxes. 

What do you mean by one mistake and you're done lol !

• Haha 1

I think she meant one bad review and that snowballs into gossip in the er.... wax community.  I feel like that might be true if your customer base is built in that same community.  I guess that goes on the make up community too.  If someone on YouTube doesn't like something especially if they're unreasonable, most sane people won't take it as Gospel truth.  

Edited by Jenni Wix
Clarification fixed autocorrect.
  • Like 1

As far as scent loss in scented products and their packaging, I realized from reading info on here (and they mention this above) that you should use a certain plastic in order to avoid scent loss. If using plastic for packaging, the wise crafters on here say to use PP #5 Polypropylene plastic. I didn't know that or even realize that certain plastics could be a problem. Luckily there are lots of packaging products out there that are made with #5 plastic and I recycle my yogurt and dip plastic containers (#5) to store my wax melts in. From the info on here it also appears that you can safely wrap or package scented products in wax paper or glassine bags without compromising their scent throw. I'm so glad I found out about this stuff from the people and info on here, I had no idea.

Some links about plastics:

http://www.babygreenthumb.com/p-122-safe-plastic-numbers-guide.aspx

https://www.livestrong.com/article/168503-which-plastics-are-safe-to-reuse/

https://www.cellobags.com/Biodegradable-NatureFlex-Cello-Bags-s/68.htm

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/323/plastic-bags.html?filter=material:polypropylene

Edited by Laura C

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 12:56 PM, Nickie said:

ok I am DYING to know who this is about -  I've taken a bit of break from the vendor groups to help me focus on my own creations.  Can you PM me with it if you don't want to share publicly?

Hello @TallTayl, @Nickie, @soshiegirl and others that know about this. I just want to verify that what I'm saying and thinking is correct, I don't want to spread false information. 

Is it true that you can safely wrap or package scented products in wax paper or glassine bags without compromising their scent throw?

Here's another question I have. If you package several different scents together in the same polypro or glassine bag or metal tin, will all the scents be absorbed by the wax so that all the melts end up smelling similar?