Starting to become discouraged ..

I've tried so many different waxes with so many different wicks. I cannot find two that work well together while also giving great hot throw. I'm trying to IGI 4630 now with a zinc wick.

Haven't reached a full melt pool yet, which is fine because it's only been burning an hour. 

I've tried GW 464, IGI 6006, IGI 4630 and a 100% paraffin. I can't find one that has amazing throw for my 3" jars. I really don't want to have to double wick but it seems like I may have to. 

I was thinking of making my own blend but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use additives? (Vybar and such)

What waxes have you found give the best throw? I ran into this issue a while back and this is the same reason I quit making candles years ago. 

I'm beginning to think maybe I'm just too picky. I've found wicks that work but they mushroom and soot and I don't want that. 

My flames always seem to flicker as well. I'm not sure if that's too much FO % or what. 

I also was researching the differences in GW 464 and 415, or 444. From what I've found, 464 has the best throw and has additives while the others are pure soy. 

Also, IGI 4630 harmony blend and 4627 comfort blend differences. The only thing I've found is the harmony blend is the same as the comfort blend in slab form. 

Sorry for such such a long post. 

Anyhing helps. Thanks in advance as usual!

****summary: what's the best container wax for throw or should I make my own blend (& do I need to add vybar or other additives?)

what two waxes blend well with good throw?

Don't get discouraged. Just get smarter. You need to pick one wax to work with. ONE! Before you move on to another and another. Trust me that will get you no where and ready to pull out your hair!

Get to know the wax you pick inside and out. Its typical for candlemakers to work with a wax for months even years before they get the candle they want. Getting the right wick for your wax is one of the most hardest parts of making a great candle. You won't learn anything if you keep changing waxes. Once you have learned how to wick the wax adding FOs and dyes will be a whole lot easier and smoother for you. Additionally, once you know how one wax works it will give you the discipline and confidence to try another wax.

It takes me about a year working with a single wax before I get a pretty good candle. But for a great candle it takes me about another year. This is not a job or hobby for the weak or easily frustrated. You need to keep working at it. Once you get it right you have something you can really be proud of.

It will also help you to focus and ask more specific questions that are gonna help you more. So don't give up. Just consider it part of the work of making a great candle. Youl'll get there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with picking a wax and sticking to it, but 2 years is a long time.  There are many here using 6006 and don't think they would if they didn't get good results.  Perhaps your expectations are too high or you just need to find the right wick.  Hopefully someone that uses 6006 will chime in. 

We all hit that wall at some point. Then, we make a candle one day that when lit makes us stop in our tracks and say, "whoa! That is a great candle!"

hang in there.

6006 is pretty popular. Can you show us your jar and let us know your fragrance, wick, process to make the candle? 

• Thanks 1

For me, 60z works with many FO's in 4630 in the status jars, which I think are the same diameter.  I have to wick up to 62z with heavier oils.  There will be a little hangup early on but it will clean up further down.  The throw is good with this combo, but the mushrooms cannot always be totally eliminated with every FO.  It's a trade off.  Some scents that work really well with 4630, 3" jars and 60z wick are MacApple, Spring Rain & Honeydew (all from CS).

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, QueenB016 said:

Hi I know this is old post but I just came across it and I’ve tried all the same waxes! Did you figure out if you should use additives in 4630? I like that one the best ans 6006 but some scents are not strong at all no hot throw 

Both 4630 and 6006 already contain the optimal additives. There is NO benefit to adding more.  Both of these waxes have a great HT.  If you aren't having any luck, there's an issue somewhere.  It could be the FO.  Some just won't be strong no matter what you do.  There is no benefit to adding more than 6-7% FO either.  If it doesn't throw at that %, it's not going to throw.  Don't wick too hot.  Wicking too hot can also inhibit throw.  Do not worry about achieving a fell melt pool in the first couple of burns.  Often, if you wick hot enough to get a FMP early, it's too hot.  Cure time is important no matter what you have heard otherwise.  Both of these waxes will burn much better and more efficiently if allowed to cure at least a week.  More is better.  And don't add FO at low temps.  Heat to at least 185 before adding FO.

• Like 1

So is adding FO at 180-175 too low?? Also what temp should I pour? And what wicks work best? I’m testing zinc rrd and premiere now! So far I like zinc! I use 22oz libbey cube 14 oz libbey cube and 7.25 oz libbey cube 

I also want to try wooden wicks! Just looking for a starting point with these wixks! I use 4 in 22oz and 2 in 14 oz and I’m testing 1 and 2 and small wood in 7.25 oz!! Any help is greatly appreciated! As I’ve done spent almost $800 on everything and only have 3 successful candles lol! But I really enjoy it as a hobby I love it! Just started in October!

10 minutes ago, QueenB016 said:

So is adding FO at 180-175 too low?? Also what temp should I pour? And what wicks work best? I’m testing zinc rrd and premiere now! So far I like zinc! I use 22oz libbey cube 14 oz libbey cube and 7.25 oz libbey cube 

I also want to try wooden wicks! Just looking for a starting point with these wixks! I use 4 in 22oz and 2 in 14 oz and I’m testing 1 and 2 and small wood in 7.25 oz!! Any help is greatly appreciated! As I’ve done spent almost $800 on everything and only have 3 successful candles lol! But I really enjoy it as a hobby I love it! Just started in October!

The Candle Science wick guide is pretty accurate for both of those waxes.  https://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide
Just note that it may not seem like the correct wick if you try to burn the candle when it is freshly poured.  They really do need to cure.

There is no reason not to add FO at 185-190.  Lower can be problematic. Pour temp is something you just have to experiment with.