HP liquid soap powdery

mao

I made about a dozen Castile Soaps using different oils to see what I liked the best. This time though I made a larger batch of the soap I use for cleaning and it turned into white powder while cooking. Why did it do this? How can I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15111032874401598322922.jpg

What was your original formula?

Since it was a larger batch, are you certain all of the measurements were accurately calculated for the larger batch?

Did you measure everything correctly? 

As you made the larger batch, did it go through the normal stages the smaller batches went through? 

Yes I was very careful with my measurements, but no it was different looking. When I was mixing it took over an hour and it was thick like taffy when you pull it apart and than turned like a fluff, as if you were beating egg whites. I used 65% coconut oil, 25% grapeseed, and 10% palm with 5.25 KoHat 35% water. Oh I upped the coconut and did not use jojoba this time since I wanted to make it for cleaning I didn't see the purpose for the jojoba. I've read everywhere that KoH is not pure so use -7 on your lye calculation. Is it possible that what I bought is pure and I shouldn't of used a negative number?

I don't think it was the negative superfat. Although you can use the 90% KOH option that most soap calculators have. My guess is the culprit may be the jojoba or possibly not enough liquid as more of it evaporates the larger your batch or both. Plus the jojoba is waxy so that could have contributed. What was your percentage of jojoba?

Edited by Candybee

Did you recalculate the amount of KOH needed with the oil change? 

If it were me, I'd add more water, a little at a time, and see what happens. It is possible too much evaporated. With that much coconut oil it should get thin pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

It worked, it took a bit and I ended up adding jojoba so n more water so I'm just messing around with it. Came up with a great mostiterizing Lavender Nutmeg soap though I put in testers lol, nice thick consistency. But the base is thin. Still not sure though what I did wrong.

IMG_20171126_124327287.jpg

IMG_20171126_124233340.jpg

• Like 2

It was easy to make. Using the base I added 1.5 % bergamot, 0.5% eucalyptus and 4% lavender essential oil a 1/2 cup of salt mixture to soap base. I have hard water so it's up to you with salt. The salt mixx is 80% water 10% Epsom n 10% organic sea salt. I'm sure you know to add the salt to boiling water n mix right before adding. It turns soap cloudy n may break apart but I mixed it really good n particles went away but the color I'm not sure if it will come back after sitting. I poured half soap mix into a 10 oz bottle (the little dish soap bottles I found are perfect for testing) I added a half tablespoon nutmeg and than added rest soap. N mixed. Nutmeg is great for mostiterizing. I also made another with same ingredients but added a little bit more than a 1/2 tablespoon of ginger. Ginger is good for fighting aging, elasticity, and firming. The one with ginger came out nice and thick n fluffyish. I may try one with cinnamon n honey for my daughter since CINNAMON is good for acne and honey reduces the redness. I suppose my screwup helped make some item I would of mist likely never tried before. Good luck if you try!!!!and thank you for everyone helping

Every additive will change the base viscosity. Often citrus will thin a thick base. Lavender will thicken a thin base to a gel. Sometimes they  change slowly  over time. Your next recipe will come out different. 

Every oil in the base soap will be different n/thicken. Olive oil makes a thick base. Coconut oil a super thin base. Finding your magic blend is part of the fun.