Best para-soy blend for container candles?

I've tried to find the answer to my question but was unable to. 

My question is this; what is the best parasoy for container candles?

I want the best HT/CT possible in a parasoy. 

Im trying to research a few but can't find any good information. 

Thanks in advance!

This is a loaded question, it may yield you dozens of answers, none the same. ;)

However, I personally love the IGI 6006 and have been using it so long, that when I started it was still Dussek Campbell making it, then it went to BP, then to IGI. Yep, a long time. I personally love it. Enough soy to "keep it clean" enough paraffin to burn stellar and throw amazingly!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ajah said:

Igi 4630 and GW 464 50/50 is good imo.

So you like that combo?  What wicks are your choice for this combo?  I was thinking of maybe trying a blend.

For an example what jar would you use and your choice of wick in this combo if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks so much!

Trappeur

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

So you like that combo?  What wicks are your choice for this combo?  I was thinking of maybe trying a blend.

For an example what jar would you use and your choice of wick in this combo if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks so much!

Trappeur

I'm currently using htp wicks, but I want to test eco just to compare. And I'm using a tumbler that I got from Peak Candle Supply. But I believe Candle Science has the same ones.

15 minutes ago, Venetti said:

@Ajah I got the eco sample pack and in the IGI 6006, it soots like crazy. 

Really... look at this pic. It's 50/50 igi 4630 and GW 464, htp 83 Wick. One has soot and one is clean. But I fell asleep with one and it burned over night ( the one with soot). So this blend imo burns great and smells great.

IMG_5140.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Venetti said:

I was also wondering if adding straight paraffin to the IGI 6006 would give a greater HT?

I've been playing around with blending 4630 & 6006. Some of my scents that are great in 4630 but duds in 6006 will throw in a blend of the two. The good throwers aren't really any stronger with the addition of 4630, just that more FO's will potentially work with the blend.   I've played around with it for a few weeks now, and initially I was happy with it.  The last few days, not so much.  I revisited some candles I had tested several weeks ago.  They are 50/50 4630 & 6006, so roughly 15% soy.  I am finding they burn significantly different now than they did a week after they were poured.  I didn't think the cure time would matter so much with so low a percentage of soy.  At a 5-7 day cure, they burn more like 4630.  At a 3-4 week cure, they burn more like 6006.....so the wicking that I thought was pretty well dialed in is no longer up to snuff.

I've thought on it for a couple of days.  This morning I woke up and said to myself....why am I bothering with this mess?  I can make great candles with either wax on its own.  Maybe, if you factor in the fact that a few more scents will throw with this blend than 6006 alone, then maybe there is a small benefit to blending.  But at the end of the day, in my very humble opinion, nothing beats the ease of 4630.   So what I need to do is ditch the 6006 entirely and go back to 4630.  Which is what I am going to do.

Unless I change my mind.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2017 at 7:12 PM, Venetti said:

I've tested over 15 wicks and have fallen in love with the LX and premier wicks. They haven't left any soot on the jars and burn wonderfully. Testing the RRD wicks now. 

Hi, which wax or blend have you found works great with LX? I got a sample pack for trying in just paraffin, but would be good to know how it performs in soy as well.

I've used ECO 4 and 10's in a 464/4630 blend, with ok results. The throw's not spectacular, but there's no sooting.

--> With eco 4 in an 8oz straight sided jar, FO 8%, i got a full melt pool in the first 2 hours burn. 

• Like 1

Hope I'm putting this in the proper thread...but I believe 6006 is a ParaSoy blend??  So if you make a candle with 6006 to sell...can you legally call it a "Soy Candle".??  I only make candles for myself and give aways to friends, my hairstylist, and servers at my local..lol.  But I have bought "soy" candles and Im just wondering if they are 100% soy, because they throw great.  I've been trying to duplicate them without any luck.  Is there any regulations on labelling??    

On 11/7/2017 at 5:00 PM, bfroberts said:

I've been playing around with blending 4630 & 6006. Some of my scents that are great in 4630 but duds in 6006 will throw in a blend of the two. The good throwers aren't really any stronger with the addition of 4630, just that more FO's will potentially work with the blend.   I've played around with it for a few weeks now, and initially I was happy with it.  The last few days, not so much.  I revisited some candles I had tested several weeks ago.  They are 50/50 4630 & 6006, so roughly 15% soy.  I am finding they burn significantly different now than they did a week after they were poured.  I didn't think the cure time would matter so much with so low a percentage of soy.  At a 5-7 day cure, they burn more like 4630.  At a 3-4 week cure, they burn more like 6006.....so the wicking that I thought was pretty well dialed in is no longer up to snuff.

I've thought on it for a couple of days.  This morning I woke up and said to myself....why am I bothering with this mess?  I can make great candles with either wax on its own.  Maybe, if you factor in the fact that a few more scents will throw with this blend than 6006 alone, then maybe there is a small benefit to blending.  But at the end of the day, in my very humble opinion, nothing beats the ease of 4630.   So what I need to do is ditch the 6006 entirely and go back to 4630.  Which is what I am going to do.

Unless I change my mind.

Do you do the same for melts?  I'm trying to come up with a nice blend for melts that obviously has a great CT/HT and the scent lasts for a long while.  😇

52 minutes ago, Marleigha said:

Do you do the same for melts?  I'm trying to come up with a nice blend for melts that obviously has a great CT/HT and the scent lasts for a long while.  😇

No, it would be way too soft.  For melts I blend a container wax and a pillar wax.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:10 AM, bfroberts said:

No, it would be way too soft.  For melts I blend a container wax and a pillar wax.

Oh okay.  I've tested many different blends but have not found anything yet that I'm completely satisfied with!   It's good, I just know there's something better!  Drives me insane.... 😬

On 11/7/2017 at 5:00 PM, bfroberts said:

Unless I change my mind.

You sound exactly like me to a T. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 6:32 AM, CatCatCandles said:

Hi, which wax or blend have you found works great with LX? I got a sample pack for trying in just paraffin, but would be good to know how it performs in soy as well.

I've used ECO 4 and 10's in a 464/4630 blend, with ok results. The throw's not spectacular, but there's no sooting.

--> With eco 4 in an 8oz straight sided jar, FO 8%, i got a full melt pool in the first 2 hours burn. 

I'm terribly sorry catcatcandles. I've only just seen your reply. I'm a bit slow these past few weeks with being so busy. 

I've tried about every wick you could think of in IGI 6006 by itself with no luck. I'm very particular and am trying to find the perfect wick. 

The eco wicks in 6006 soot entirely too much for my liking. The entire jar ends up black when the candle dissipates. 

Most of the wicks I've tested in the IGI 6006 end up the same way. Lots of mushrooming as well. 

I've been testing IGI 6006 & GW 464. I got a 2lb bag of the 464. 

I use 5oz 6006 with 1oz 464. (For one candle/one pour.)

I've also tried 3oz 6006 + 2oz 464. 

The wick I've found to burn the best all around is the LX series. Obviously depending on your jar size and FO load, you'll have to test each size separately. 

The jars and smoke come out clean and the wick is self trimming. I love the LX series. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 7:33 PM, Gary in Canada said:

Hope I'm putting this in the proper thread...but I believe 6006 is a ParaSoy blend??  So if you make a candle with 6006 to sell...can you legally call it a "Soy Candle".??  I only make candles for myself and give aways to friends, my hairstylist, and servers at my local..lol.  But I have bought "soy" candles and Im just wondering if they are 100% soy, because they throw great.  I've been trying to duplicate them without any luck.  Is there any regulations on labelling??    

I'm almost 99.99% sure that if there is any soy at all in the candle it can be claimed as a 'soy candle.'

I'm not entirely sure, but almost positive.