How to get a true black in 444?

I need a black (or as close to black as possible) candle and I'm using 444. I've tried black dye drops and got grey. I also tried 1/2 of a black dye block in 20oz of wax and got grey. I don't want to use TOO much dye because I don't want to create burn problems, but I do want more of a black. Does anyone know the max amount of dye I can use? Anyone have any tips for getting a black soy candle? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Flicker said:

Black powder dye. Just mix with the FO versus into the hot wax to solubilize it, works like a charm and I got TRUE black in every soy. :)

I have to use a LOT of black liquid dye to get my soy candles true black but it alters the scent in high concentration. A chemical scent which isn't pleasant.

Where do you get your black power dye from? Does it leave a lot of smell? How much do you have to use to get it TRUE black?

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, strugglebrother said:

I have to use a LOT of black liquid dye to get my soy candles true black but it alters the scent in high concentration. A chemical scent which isn't pleasant.

Where do you get your black power dye from? Does it leave a lot of smell? How much do you have to use to get it TRUE black?

I don't measure, but for a lb of wax maybe 1/16 tsp? Not much. I get mine from Bitter Creek. It also does not have ANY smell and does not usually alter the burn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...