Jump to content

Soot and mushrooming but also tunneling?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Quick question about FO and wicks/wax. 

 

Ive tried a CSN14 in IGI 6006(parasoy) and have found that it burns really well other than a few things. 

 

It mushrooms and soots a bit a bit but also tunnels. I know that too small of a wick can cause the tunneling but I've read that soot and mushrooming identifies too large a wick. 

I am using 8.5% FO (as IGI 6006 says 10% is max). 

My question is, if I lower my FO % will this decrease the sooting and mushrooming? Also, will my HT be greatly affected?

I'm not sure how much lower to go but I was considering trying 7.5%-8%. 

 

Ive ordered a size up just to see the difference and will be trying them this weekend. 

thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What container  size are you using? Mushrooming can easily also be too small of a wick (cannot combust the fuel at a high enough temp) 

 

some wick series like eco tend to do what you describe in 6006. Cd are usually recommended by 6006 users. 

 

More fragrance is not always the answer for better ht. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2017 at 4:18 PM, Flicker said:

3.1" where it is widest? I'd use a CD 16-18 with that myself. Keep in mind, different suppliers wicks can vary too, depending on who tabbed them.

 

Flicker, I need you CD expertise! I'm losing my mind!

Using 6006 in a Libbey Status diameter a little less than 3in.

Candlescience FO containing vanilla, 8%

CD10 and CD12.  At first hour the CD10 looked perfect!  After 40mins, the CD12 flickers and some shrooming.  After 2.5hs, the CD10 has turned into a tall/high flame and throws a long line of soot every few minutes. The CD12 still flickers but is not a high flame and has more shrooming. The CD12 pool is about 1cm deep.  The CD10 about the same, a little less.

Conclusion: neither wick is good for this mix.  I wanted to remain with the CDs.  You think I need to wick down to CD8?  (which I'd have to order)  According to all charts CD8 is for 2.5-3inches.  Just seems like a small wick for so much fragrance... Thanks so much!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not Flicker but CD is a very hot burning wick and your using parasoy which is easier to burn than straight soy

3" diameter jar in straight soy a 10 can be too hot for me so my opinion is definitely try wicking down to a 8 and even a 7 or try the CDN series in a 7-8-10- they burn a little cooler with soy because the coating is different but are CD wicks as well

you can get them at southwest candle supply 

with the paraffin in there you may want to try other series as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I must use a different supplier for my CD wicks. In a standard mouth half pint mason, about 2.25" diameter I use a CD 10 with most scents. For a standard pint I would use a CD 18, and that is about the same diameter as the jar you are currently testing.

 

I found that the larger wicks burned perfectly for me. Mine came from Wicks Unlimited and Bitter Creek. The catch with 6006 is it's a low melt paraffin blend with about 30% soy. The charts are based on a straight paraffin with no additives. So it won't necessarily even be a starting point in terms of wick size. Sooting and mushrooms can be too large or too small a wick. I suspect in both these, too small.

 

HTH!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2017 at 3:08 PM, moonshine said:

Not Flicker but CD is a very hot burning wick and your using parasoy which is easier to burn than straight soy

3" diameter jar in straight soy a 10 can be too hot for me so my opinion is definitely try wicking down to a 8 and even a 7 or try the CDN series in a 7-8-10- they burn a little cooler with soy because the coating is different but are CD wicks as well

you can get them at southwest candle supply 

with the paraffin in there you may want to try other series as well

Thank you so much! I've never tried CDNs.  What needs hotter burning wicks, straight paraffin or straight soy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2017 at 4:28 PM, Flicker said:

I must use a different supplier for my CD wicks. In a standard mouth half pint mason, about 2.25" diameter I use a CD 10 with most scents. For a standard pint I would use a CD 18, and that is about the same diameter as the jar you are currently testing.

 

I found that the larger wicks burned perfectly for me. Mine came from Wicks Unlimited and Bitter Creek. The catch with 6006 is it's a low melt paraffin blend with about 30% soy. The charts are based on a straight paraffin with no additives. So it won't necessarily even be a starting point in terms of wick size. Sooting and mushrooms can be too large or too small a wick. I suspect in both these, too small.

 

HTH!

This difference in suppliers amazes me!  Seems there is no consistency!  The same candle with CD18 got so hot and the wick so long (it was not cut before burning and it did not consume itself), that on the second burn it cracked the glass!!  Thanks for you tips!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bia said:

This difference in suppliers amazes me!  Seems there is no consistency!  The same candle with CD18 got so hot and the wick so long (it was not cut before burning and it did not consume itself), that on the second burn it cracked the glass!!  Thanks for you tips!!!

Soy needs a hotter wick than paraffin or parasoy and often needs wicking up but the changes in soy are proving you need to wick down 

a CD18 I wouldn't touch in soy let alone parasoy or paraffin unless the container was ginormous...and I mean like over 5" diameter 

I still feel you should try wicking down with the changes in the soy that's in your wax and paraffin in general being easier to wick 

@Flicker I get my CD wicks at candlewic 

but used to get them many places and they all burned pretty much the same...only difference would be the tab height or the coating more flimsy on NG

I would love to see one of your pint containers Burning with the 18 in it- I am baffled you haven't had glass blowing up your house 😂 Are you using a wide mouth or regular mouth pint jar?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ordered a CD sample pack, premier wicks sample pack, and 2lbs gb 464. I haven't heard of the premiers before but I figured I'd give them a try. 

 

I have 30lbs IGI 6006 and was considering trying a blend with the gb 464. I've heard many people sing praises to this mix. I haven't been able to find a wick yet for the IGI 6006 by itself. 

I am thinking of lowering my FO% to 7.5% instead of the 8.5% I am currently testing. 

I am using the straight sided tumblers from Candlescience and they are 3.1" diameter all around. 

 

The csn 16 is about halfway empty now. It has burned the wax from previous burns on the sides but the flame is high and sooting. I've tried the csn 14 and I didn't get a full melt pool at any point. 

 

These are the wicks I have :

LX 22, LX 24, CSN 14, CSN 16, all sizes ECO wicks, zinc 44, zinc 51, htp 83, htp 104. (I think that's all.)

I have the premier and cd wick samples coming that I will try. 

 

I just feel like mixing the 6006 and 464 will make it easier for me to find a wick and get a better HT. 

 

It seems like no matter what FO I try, it spots and the melt pool doesn't reach the edges. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think many people use zinc with 6006

i don't use that wax - never have but in general soy is harder to burn than paraffin or parasoy needing a larger wick until recently - changes in soy seem to be affecting all waxes with soy 

I use 415 and a 3" jar usually always took a CD10 sometimes a 12 if the FO was hard to burn but now it's a torch - I'm having to use a CD8 and it's compromised throw some 

so if your trying 6006 alone try the zincs- I don't use them so I can't suggest a size but if your going to blend with 464 I would start with a HTP 83 if that's what you have or a CD8 when you get them and see where it takes you - seems wicking is all over the board lately so it's hard to guide anymore, I can only tell you my experience with my wax 

on another note votives I made with a blend of parasoy and paraffin I can't get to burn for nothing - I keep going higher and higher which is weird because generally paraffin doesn't take as hot of wick 

so 🤷‍♀️ I know it doesn't help much but there doesnt seem to be a normal anymore with changes in wax 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, moonshine said:

Soy needs a hotter wick than paraffin or parasoy and often needs wicking up but the changes in soy are proving you need to wick down 

a CD18 I wouldn't touch in soy let alone parasoy or paraffin unless the container was ginormous...and I mean like over 5" diameter 

I still feel you should try wicking down with the changes in the soy that's in your wax and paraffin in general being easier to wick 

@Flicker I get my CD wicks at candlewic 

but used to get them many places and they all burned pretty much the same...only difference would be the tab height or the coating more flimsy on NG

I would love to see one of your pint containers Burning with the 18 in it- I am baffled you haven't had glass blowing up your house 😂 Are you using a wide mouth or regular mouth pint jar?

 

I use a standard mouth and the burn I get is amazing. A CD 18 really isn't that big...compared to a zinc, it's around a 60-44-18z I use the same size in a paraffin blend actually. My melt at 4 hours never exceeds 1/2". Wicks Unlimited and I worked for years perfecting this combo...Bruce is amazing. I've used the same wax since about 1999-2000

Edited by Flicker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

I have been making my own candles and having continuous issues. My wicks mushroom, my candles rarely burn to the outside (even after 4+ hours) so they tunnel, and a layer of carbon sometimes rests on top of the melted wax and results in a wild flame that spits, crackles and seem like it will explode. I use 50% soy and 50% beeswax and less than 1.5 oz. of fragrance (essential oils primarily). And I always trim to 1/4" before lighting.

 

I love making them and it's very therapeutic, but they are not turning out well. I am stymied. Please help!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...