Hi From Canada

How did I get into this obsessive craft?  Well...for me it all started about 6 yrs ago when we bought a 130+yr old farmhouse..It had that "old house" smell..you know, sort of musty on humid days. I was in our local gift/craft shop looking around and found these soy candles and decided to take a sniff.. Well, it sure smelt good so we decided to buy it. It wasn't cheap..I think $28 for a 10 oz tin, but boy did it smell GOOD... So we took it home to our musty old place and lit it.  Well...withing no time, the whole main floor was filled with the scent from that Soy Candle..I was hooked...So I thought..hey, google it, make my own and save some money!!!  Well, a few years later, and I'm still trying to duplicate that original awesome candle lol... I have made countless container candles, votives, melts, spa...but have never been able to get quite to the quality of that original soy candle (Whitewater Premium Candles)... I thought I was almost there with EcoSoya wax, proper wicks, hot throw, cold trow, proper burning...nice containers.....then EcoSoy was gone!  In my search to find a solution, I found this forum...glad I did..wish I had found it sooner!  

Hello Gary,

Welcome and nice to meet you.   So you bought an farmhouse?  I could just smell that mustiness in the old home.  It just evokes such charm....Well you came to the best forum out there with lots of cool super people here.  Hang in there and we'll give all our suggestions as best as we can.  So many are in the same predicament as you, so your not alone.  So what wax are you leaning towards?

Trappeur

Well..I thought I had it sort of figured out with CB135...but we know what happened there lol.  I got some of the new Q210 and was instantly impressed with the appearance, but couldn't get it to wick properly...Im very limited up here on which wax to start over with because of the shipping. A local supplier has 'C3, and another supplier Canwax has a new coconut/soy blend? Im thinking about giving that a try.  Im not sure what to do.  Luckily I only make candles for myself and friends as give aways...but I really feel sorry for those of you on this forum that depend on candle making as a business.. things have really turned upside down in the last 10 months or so.  My candles are not great..yet..lol.. but they do throw off some scent and it sure is better than the "old farmhouse smell"..  I wish I had found this forum long ago, as it is a wealth of "honest" evaluations.

Wow! $28 for a 10 oz tin? Time to raise prices! Awesome that it pleased you so much. 

I have to laugh along with you about your make my own and save some money comment. Reminds me of a meme I see every once in a while: Why buy that {soap/candle/bath bomb/etc.} for $6 when you can make it yourself for $92 in supplies?

we have all been there. You are in great company. Once you figure out your candle system it is like magic. 

• Haha 1

It wasn't a cheap container candle TallTayl...but I don't mind paying the price for something (like a good restaurant meal) as long as its good...and that candle was GOOD. It has become an obsession with me..lol.. to make a candle that would rival their candle.. Candles and ribs seem to be my obsession these days!! lol. 

• Like 1

I have probably spent $400+ trying to duplicate that candle...lol..  But I have enjoyed my somewhat adequate candles in the mean time... But I have got a lot of good ideas since discovering your forum a couple of days ago..  Thank you for your comments, and I really look forward to following and hopefully contributing some worthwhile info.. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Craft Server. Glad you found us.

Now for the bad news. That candle fragrance was probably custom blended so I doubt you will be able to duplicate it. You can learn to make your own awesome candles though so I would focus on that.

Good luck with the soy wax search and testing. I had to give up soy because I found I was allergic to it. I am using palm wax now and love it. But if I weren't allergic to soy I think I would be still using it and having the same dickens of a problem trying to test out the soy waxes as they have all changed since the transfat regs changed.

Thanks Candy...the scent was great..but I was really impressed about how quickly the scent filled the room and how well the candle behaved..melt pool formed quickly, but the flame was just right and the melt pool just stayed perfect..not overly deep. Well...I will keep trying ..isn't that have the fun??

• Like 1

On October 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM, TallTayl said:

I have to laugh along with you about your make my own and save some money comment. Reminds me of a meme I see every once in a while: Why buy that {soap/candle/bath bomb/etc.} for $6 when you can make it yourself for $92 in supplies?

I hadn't seen that before! Too funny, that is my life!! 😂😂😂

I am the queen of DIY disaster!

20 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Welcome!

Your post in the firestarter thread had me chuckling for days! 😄

It must be tough to get supplies in Canada, so many of the suppliers are in the US. I'm always grateful for American consumerism. 😆

We have very few suppliers in Canada...so the variety of products are limited. I've ordered from a couple of US suppliers, but the $$$ difference and shipping charges killed me. 

I just made another batch of firestarters with my failed Q210 wax tests...and wood shavings this time.

• 1 month later...

@Gary in Canada Hi Gary! I just moved to Canada myself from the U.S. I'm pretty bummed about the high shipping charges and not as many options here. My parents are still state side so I may just have things shipped to their house and pick it up when I go there. I am curious though, I saw you mentioned in another thread, a FO supplier in Canada called New Direction Aromatics... have you tried that one out? We don't live too far from there so would it be worth checking out? I see they supply to Lush? Although, I'm sure Lush has custom scents made just for them too. 

22 hours ago, lisabeth13 said:

@Gary in Canada Hi Gary! I just moved to Canada myself from the U.S. I'm pretty bummed about the high shipping charges and not as many options here. My parents are still state side so I may just have things shipped to their house and pick it up when I go there. I am curious though, I saw you mentioned in another thread, a FO supplier in Canada called New Direction Aromatics... have you tried that one out? We don't live too far from there so would it be worth checking out? I see they supply to Lush? Although, I'm sure Lush has custom scents made just for them too. 

Welcome to Canada Lisa...as far as suppliers go..we have a couple that are very good, although the variety of products are limited. Canwax in Huntsville ON are very good..they have a good range of wicks, and waxes, and their FO's that I have tried are very good also.  They do seem to "be out of stock" too often on popular products, but overall, I would recommend them. Another good supplier is Village Craft and Candle in St. Mary's ON...they have a limited selection of wicks and wax...but they are good for containers and their FO's are also good quality...although expensive (in my opinion). 

I've bought a lot of Essential Oils, and fragrance oils from New Directions, and they have also been good..But they seem to cater to the soap crowd..which I don't do.. But the prices are VERY reasonable and being in Mississauga, I can pick up and save on delivery charges.  What I like about their website is, they have a LOT of reviews on the products .....so you can get a good \idea of the strength or quality of the fragrance you are interested in.  They also have a showroom with all the scents in little sample bottles where you can go in and check them out for yourself. As far as other candle supplies at New Directions...forget it..they don't have anything. C3 wax..and apparently the new Quantum waxes (which I don't like so far)...no containers..no wicks...They are only good for fragrances...which is what they are know for, and you can get REALLY reasonably priced FO's..Just check out the reviews on their website to give you a good idea what they have.  If I can help out in any other way..let me know.  And once again..welcome to Canada...hope we can make you feel like it's home.. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2017 at 11:49 PM, TallTayl said:

Wow! $28 for a 10 oz tin? Time to raise prices! Awesome that it pleased you so much. 

we have all been there. You are in great company. Once you figure out your candle system it is like magic. 

I thought I would post an update on Whitewater Premium Candle Co that I have been trying to duplicate...their container candles  have been awesome..great burn, fantastic throw, but that was before the changes in the US soy wax industry.  I saw a video of them on youtube making their candles before the changes, and it looked like they were using CB Advanced. They were awesome candles.  Last weekend I went to our local retailer of Whitewater candles, and checked out what they had. I noticed that the new Christmas  fragrance "spiced cranberry" was very different in appearance to their summer fragrances...it was Beige..not ivory or cream coloured.  So I bought it to test ($23 for 10oz straight sided jar)..  It looks like my Q210 testers...it burns like my Q210 testers...it does have a great cold throw, and a good hot throw (although not as good as 1yr ago with CB Advanced)...and when I blew it out...it filled the room with smoke!!!  So I would assume they are using Quantum Waxes..

The wick they use still burns great though..wish I knew which wick they use.  

7 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

@Gary in Canada Thank you for all the great info, Gary! :) I will definitely check out those places! I'm trying to make it feel like home here as best as I can. It's going to be an adjustment for a bit (can we say cold??!) but I think my hubby is worth it. ;) 

There are a few more supplies here...but those are the 3 I use..and they all have their strong points and weaknesses...You can still order from the US, but the $$$ difference and shipping/duty is a killer.  Hubby is Canadian??  If you're from Buffalo..you will have no problem with our winter.. lol...If you're from Phoenix...our winter may be a problem..:(

11 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

There are a few more supplies here...but those are the 3 I use..and they all have their strong points and weaknesses...You can still order from the US, but the $$$ difference and shipping/duty is a killer.  Hubby is Canadian??  If you're from Buffalo..you will have no problem with our winter.. lol...If you're from Phoenix...our winter may be a problem..:(

I looked into shipping from some of the suppliers I've seen in the U.S. and the shipping is brutal!! One place was $41. And I'm sure there are extra costs for it to go through customs and all that. I'm from Tennessee (I don't fit any stereotypes of the south though...lol) - born and raised, so while I didn't experience hot weather year round... our winters were very mild in comparison. We went out the other night for his work's christmas party, I had to wear a dress without leggings and told him I'd head back outside again once it was summer. :laugh2:Once it gets below freezing... I'm for sure not going out anywhere. lol

OMG lisa....we have had a REAL mild fall so far...wait till you get to our winter....  What you have to do is go shopping and get yourself a real good winter coat...some nice warm boots...good gloves and a warm touque (hat lol) ...and get outside and enjoy the clean, cold fresh air! lol... If you're not up for that...make sure you have a nice warm cozy place where you live to make candles all winter long!! :)  Oh...and GO TITANS!!!:rolleyes: 

5 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

OMG lisa....we have had a REAL mild fall so far...wait till you get to our winter....  What you have to do is go shopping and get yourself a real good winter coat...some nice warm boots...good gloves and a warm touque (hat lol) ...and get outside and enjoy the clean, cold fresh air! lol... If you're not up for that...make sure you have a nice warm cozy place where you live to make candles all winter long!! :)  Oh...and GO TITANS!!!:rolleyes: 

Yeah, so far it hasn't actually been too bad. lol ;) The first time I visited Toronto was in February so sadly, I know it gets much worse than this. :laugh2:He actually bought me a Canada Goose jacket for Christmas several years ago to entice me to move here... but it took me a long time to make the move. haha. I do need some ear muffs and a nice warm hat though. But yes, the plan is to sit around and make candles all winter. :) Are you a Titans fan? 

4 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

Yeah, so far it hasn't actually been too bad. lol ;) The first time I visited Toronto was in February so sadly, I know it gets much worse than this. :laugh2:He actually bought me a Canada Goose jacket for Christmas several years ago to entice me to move here... but it took me a long time to make the move. haha. I do need some ear muffs and a nice warm hat though. But yes, the plan is to sit around and make candles all winter. :) Are you a Titans fan? 

We had a friend that was from our area...moved to Arizona...met an Arizona girl..got married and had 2 kids..decided he would like to move back to Ontario.  He finally talked her into it (after a few years)..He got a job transfer and they did move here. It was the worst winter we have had in years...the kids loved it...but not the Arizona wife..lol.  She was here 6 months and told him she was moving back to Arizona...with or without him!  He quickly got a transfer back to Phoenix..haha..Try to hang in there..our winter is not like Tennessee, but there are a lot of things to do if you want to explore new things...

I am an NFL fan..I run a pool at our local pub, and if the Titans can win me the pool...I am a fan.. I am actually a Bills fan because they are our closest NFL team..but I just love the NFL...

10 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

We had a friend that was from our area...moved to Arizona...met an Arizona girl..got married and had 2 kids..decided he would like to move back to Ontario.  He finally talked her into it (after a few years)..He got a job transfer and they did move here. It was the worst winter we have had in years...the kids loved it...but not the Arizona wife..lol.  She was here 6 months and told him she was moving back to Arizona...with or without him!  He quickly got a transfer back to Phoenix..haha..Try to hang in there..our winter is not like Tennessee, but there are a lot of things to do if you want to explore new things...

I am an NFL fan..I run a pool at our local pub, and if the Titans can win me the pool...I am a fan.. I am actually a Bills fan because they are our closest NFL team..but I just love the NFL...

Oh wow... 6 months! lol :laugh2:Poor guy! I don't think my husband would ever agree to live anywhere else, even if I said I was going without him. hahaha. I'm sure I'll adjust to the winter and we will find things to do to make it more bearable. I'd love to try cross country skiing, although I've heard it's pretty challenging. 

lol... that's funny. I've been to a Titans game and a Vols game. Once was good enough for me...:lol: I'm not super into football but I sure had to hear about it constantly in TN. Most people there are obsessed with the Vols. There is orange everywhere. It was worse when I lived in Knoxville (home of the vols) for awhile. Game day traffic there was the worst!

• 10 months later...

I'm in Canada too - I had trouble finding jars and lids I liked. Where do you get your jars/lids from? I bought wax and fragrance at New Directions and dye, wick and jars from Village Candle. Need to find another supplier for wicks so looking around for that, might try Wicks and Wax in Vancouver. Ever tried buying from Ali Baba?