What wax do you use for clams?

Belinda

Just now, Sarah S said:

@lovelyscents and @katmeltswax, my wax came in the tear shaped nuggets. I've never gotten it in the shreds before. @Ravens posted just yesterday that she stopped using this wax because she felt like it had changed for the worse. Maybe she had been getting the shreds? I have also heard that some people have gotten it in slab form.

Yes, and from my understanding, the slab was the best overall.  TCS states it is the same wax, just ran through a machine to keep it easier on us.  However, longterm wax makers would prove that wrong.  

Just now, Sarah S said:

I agree that inconsistency batch to batch is a big issue and definitely worrisome. Why does wax have to be so complicated? I just want my house to smell good! 😭

Lovelyscents, I have no idea what those particles could be, I'm pretty clueless about additives.

:laugh2:no kidding!  My niece just asked when I would want to try a craft show coming up and I am like nope, still testing.  She was shocked and I am like yeah trust me, never knew it was so complicated either!!  If you care to have a good product that is.  I also have not researched additives in depth, came across some here and there.

Just now, Sarah S said:

As far as salvaging the rest of the wax, I think it mixes pretty well with just about everything, so maybe a container wax would improve the throw? If you have any 464, I'd try that 50/50 and give them a good long cure to see if that helps.

Good luck!

Now I'm thinking maybe I need to give the CBL129 another chance...

Good luck to you as well!  The 129 puts you back to one supplier once again though and I believe some stated the 129 is close to an IGI wax, cannot remember off the top of my head at this very moment.

1 minute ago, Sarah S said:

@lovelyscents and @katmeltswax, my wax came in the tear shaped nuggets. I've never gotten it in the shreds before. @Ravens posted just yesterday that she stopped using this wax because she felt like it had changed for the worse. Maybe she had been getting the shreds? I have also heard that some people have gotten it in slab form.

I agree that inconsistency batch to batch is a big issue and definitely worrisome. Why does wax have to be so complicated? I just want my house to smell good! 😭

Lovelyscents, I have no idea what those particles could be, I'm pretty clueless about additives.

As far as salvaging the rest of the wax, I think it mixes pretty well with just about everything, so maybe a container wax would improve the throw? If you have any 464, I'd try that 50/50 and give them a good long cure to see if that helps.

Good luck!

Now I'm thinking maybe I need to give the CBL129 another chance...

Love  129 for many scents😁 If I get a scent that 129 will not take well ,most of the time I can use the scent with the 4630&4625 blend. I always wait for a shipping discount code and grab a couple of cases at a time , otherwise ship is very costly to South,Tx. I sometimes add just a tiny bit of 4630 to get a creamier melt ,works for me . I read this tip on here awhile back ,makes a nice tart in appearance . I love many of CW Ultimate & Bold fragrance oils as well. I used to love TCS tart shreds ,but now getting a completely different wax will definitely keep me from buying their wax .I just wished the wax would not change in between shipments ,such a waste of time & money .Not sure what the issue is with TCS on the tart blend ,but would love to find out .If anyone can help us out on this subject ,please chime in .

19 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Yes, oils play the largest part in my honest opinion, with wax being next.  Some do perform better in different blends, but in order to be consistent if selling in the future and not being like TCS from batch to batch, vendors settle on the same wax blend for all of their oils they offer. KIMG0378.thumb.JPG.2e948d87b7b164c9bdd0ff742a7337d3.JPGThis was my last batch .Looks nothing like the shreds I have received in the past .

Just now, katmeltswax said:
23 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Yes, oils play the largest part in my honest opinion, with wax being next.  Some do perform better in different blends, but in order to be consistent if selling in the future and not being like TCS from batch to batch, vendors settle on the same wax blend for all of their oils they offer. KIMG0378.thumb.JPG.2e948d87b7b164c9bdd0ff742a7337d3.JPGThis was my last batch .Looks nothing like the shreds I have received in the past .

It is certainly less expense to settle on 1 wax or blend ,shipping is expensive .I need to cut my oil suppliers down as well. I end up spending a small fortune on shipping. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Good luck to you as well!  The 129 puts you back to one supplier once again though and I believe some stated the 129 is close to an IGI wax, cannot remember off the top of my head at this very moment.

Thanks! Simplify, right? Now if only I could do that with my fragrances, lol! 

My understanding is that the 129 is IGI's 4625, just CWs in house run of it. Same with the 125, that's IGI's 4630.

14 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Love  129 for many scents😁 If I get a scent that 129 will not take well ,most of the time I can use the scent with the 4630&4625 blend. I always wait for a shipping discount code and grab a couple of cases at a time , otherwise ship is very costly to South,Tx. I sometimes add just a tiny bit of 4630 to get a creamier melt ,works for me . I read this tip on here awhile back ,makes a nice tart in appearance . I love many of CW Ultimate & Bold fragrance oils as well. I used to love TCS tart shreds ,but now getting a completely different wax will definitely keep me from buying their wax .I just wished the wax would not change in between shipments ,such a waste of time & money .Not sure what the issue is with TCS on the tart blend ,but would love to find out .If anyone can help us out on this subject ,please chime in .

I already use their 125 for my container wax, I mix it with EVERYTHING, lol. I did like the 129, just wish the slabs weren't such a PITA. But as Lovely pointed out, I already use CW so it makes sense, plus I live close enough that I can pick up big orders and save that shipping $$$.

The more CW oils I use, the more I love them!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:
33 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Thats exactly what I've gotten.

1 minute ago, Sarah S said:

Thanks! Simplify, right? Now if only I could do that with my fragrances, lol! 

My understanding is that the 129 is IGI's 4625, just CWs in house run of it. Same with the 125, that's IGI's 4630.

I already use their 125 for my container wax, I mix it with EVERYTHING, lol. I did like the 129, just wish the slabs weren't such a PITA. But as Lovely pointed out, I already use CW so it makes sense, plus I live close enough that I can pick up big orders and save that shipping $$$.

The more CW oils I use, the more I love them!

Oh lucky you ,the shipping is costly for me to get the 129 to Tx ,like it so much I will continue to order .The coupons help tremendously . It seems very similar to 4625 ,but the color is a bit more transparent than the 4625 .I am sure they add a secret ingredient lol. I try to figure this out and someday will try some blends to see what I come up with. It could possibly be 4625 with a bit of 4627 ,just what comes to my mind .If we only knew lol 😀Love the wax & CW ultimate bold fragrance oils .

• Like 1

Well I did ask Loren if manufacturers were changed and where I could find the wax if they were to close.  This is the response I had gotten (below).  I am sharing because it is nothing secret and it may help others not ask them the same thing... 

"Unfortunately we won't disclose who makes our wax now...  we did go thru about 8 different samples and 3 mfg's before we were happy with this blend, we actually had a mfg that made our wax for about the first 10 years, then they changed some of the base ingredients with out checking with us first, so we had problems with it not setting right and causing issues for some of our customers using certain fragrances, so we started searching for a new company to make our waxes again for us, and some of the ones you listed IGI and CJ Robinson are actually a couple of places we tried, but were not happy with, so I do understand your search for information, it's the same thing we have dealt with over the past 17 years also...  I wish I could be of more help to you, but we will not disclose where or who makes our products...   please let me know if you have any other questions..."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

@Ravens I wonder if the manufacturer they used the first 10 years was your beloved prior to switching?

I would say most definitely it was the one i used . I am glad to know they did switch .This explains the drastic  change in appearance, along with performance.I will no longer order TCS wax ,unless they switch back to the original.I am sure they will see a decrease in wax sales .I knew something had changed .Now I wished we could find out where they used to purchase the good wax lol. I will miss it .I am pretty certain they are getting many complaints on this new blend .This is so unfortunate for the ones that loved the original .I don't know why a company wants to mess up a good thing , guessing it could be many factors involved .Maybe the cost or the other co. may have closed the doors idk ,going to miss the wax thou . Thank you for sharing this info ,very helpful.Lol now if we can find out where they purchased the original ,wishful thinking on my part right lol😀😀😀

7 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Awww, man. 😭

Thank you. Wavy tops and everything?

Guess I'll take that mix off the list then!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I really think they are the exact same wax. I've had both here together using them and they perform exactly the same. They're good waxes though. I just don't like the waves either! I'm going to mix 4786 in with mine so I can smooth out the tops!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Belinda ,Have you noticed a difference in the CS wax between orders ? My last shipment was tear shaped.I usually get shreds when ordering their tart blend.I have a huge issue with the throw when the wax is tear shaped.I only used 3 pounds of the tear shaped wax and it is sitting in a box .I was just curious if you have noticed a difference  in the wax at all ?

I've only ever received the tear shaped wax every time I've ordered. It seems fine to me but I don't have anything to compare it to. I actually love that wax LOL! Maybe I'm missing out on something though since it's the only wax I've ever received from them.

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

I've only ever received the tear shaped wax every time I've ordered. It seems fine to me but I don't have anything to compare it to. I actually love that wax LOL! Maybe I'm missing out on something though since it's the only wax I've ever received from them.

Belinda ,let us know how yours performs with the 4786 .I have 7 lbs left ,hate to see it waste .

• Like 1

I haven't used TCS wax in a long time now.  When it was my "beloved" wax, it was in slab form.  Then I started receiving it in pellets and - for me - it was all downhill from there  :-(

I remember contacting Loren on several occasions about this change, but he said it was the same wax, just in pellet form.  I disagree; what I received was not the same quality wax I remembered, used and loved.  The new wax was easier to use, but it didn't hold a candle to the slab wax I had fallen in love with *shudder*

Belinda, how did it work for you?

Edited by Ravens
adding

1 hour ago, Ravens said:

I haven't used TCS wax in a long time now.  When it was my "beloved" wax, it was in slab form.  Then I started receiving it in pellets and - for me - it was all downhill from there  :-(

I remember contacting Loren on several occasions about this change, but he said it was the same wax, just in pellet form.  I disagree; what I received was not the same quality wax I remembered, used and loved.  The new wax was easier to use, but it didn't hold a candle to the slab wax I had fallen in love with *shudder*

Belinda, how did it work for you?

Ravens I haven't had a chance to mix the KY wax with 4786 yet but Lord willing will next week when I'm off for Thanksgiving break! Whoo Hoo! Anyway, Lovely Scents said that Loren did say they had changed manufacturers of their wax so that would explain the change. I really like their tart wax in clams though. It's crumbly in shapes and has waves in it which I don't like but in clams it's great.

Ravens do you blend 650 with 4786 for clams too? Does it pop out of the clam easily? TCS wax is the only wax I can get to release and have a smooth top. I was using 4625/4630 mixed 50/50 for a long time for clams but am not having good luck with that blend coming out very easy. I also don't seem to get the same funky plastic smell from TCS wax like I did the other blend. Could just be me though.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:52 PM, Sarah S said:

I am having the exact same situation @Belinda!

I loved the TCS tart wax, but I order so many other thing from RE, I wanted to try the 133. I am going to try adding some IGI 4630 to it, I like to have a slightly softer tart anyway. I'm hoping 10-20% will improve appearance and throw but won't compromise it's ability to pop out of the clams.

I also might try some soy at the same % and do a side-by-side. I will keep you posted on the results!

I have used the CBL 129 from Candlewic in the past, with a pinch of 4630 to soften it up, and had good results with that as well. But honestly, if these experiments don't go well, I'm going to suck it up and go back to the TCS blend, that stuff was the bomb. I'll just order like 50 lbs at a time to make it worth it!

Oh, I am terrible at taking the temp before I pour, usually by the time I'm done stirring it's close to 150-160. For the sake of the scientific method, I will try to measure and record everything!😄

Is TCS "The Candle Source".....can't remember?

Trappeur

On 11/12/2017 at 12:24 PM, Sarah S said:

My understanding is that the 129 is IGI's 4625, just CWs in house run of it. Same with the 125, that's I

I reached out to them for clarification on this recently. 

125 is 4630

129 is 4794

130 is 6006

141 is 4625

but please note, candlewic only purchases the base waxes from igi, then throws in their own additives to produce thier final product. So therefore, they are a like product, not an exact match to the IGI waxes. The consistency may NOT be exactly the same from thecandlewic waxes to IGI waxes. 

• Like 1