What wax do you use for clams?

Belinda

Those divots (on the cups and tarts) are a direct cause of cooling too fast. They won't do this if they are covered for 15-30 mins and poured as low as you can possibly pour. 

As for the dip, To be very frank, it typically doesn't level out on its own until around 50 percent container wax, maybe even 60. That may or not be possible and still get them to release.  It's all very much a balancing act between the release and the look of the tops.  but I've gotten some very soft waxes to release when blended, including 4627. It just takes lots of work in blending, patience and testing.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nickie said:

Those divots (on the cups and tarts) are a direct cause of cooling too fast. They won't do this if they are covered for 15-30 mins and poured as low as you can possibly pour. 

As for the dip, To be very frank, it typically doesn't level out on its own until around 50 percent container wax, maybe even 60. That may or not be possible and still get them to release.  It's all very much a balancing act between the release and the look of the tops.  but I've gotten some very soft waxes to release when blended, including 4627. It just takes lots of work in blending, patience and testing.  

Right, I absolutely agree on all points!

The experiment here was to see how much tweaking this particular wax was going to need, and to compare it to The Candle Sources tart wax. Obviously it needs quite a lot of tweaking to perform as well as the TCS wax, according to my criteria. Others, of course, may feel differently or have different results. 

The KY 133 is certainly not a bad wax, but if I can be frank here 😉, I don't have the patience to struggle with it when another wax will give me good results with less work. I don't mind playing and experimenting, but when it comes to producing tarts for sale, I need a reliable wax that allows me to crank out those bad boys fast!

Having said all that, I have 19 pounds of this stuff still to go through, so I guess I'd better find a little patience to make it work for now, lol!

I will try upping my 4630 as suggested and see what happens!

I also just got a few pounds of this year's 415, so I guess I'll be finding out how the new soy waxes affect tart blends too.

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Right, I absolutely agree on all points!

The experiment here was to see how much tweaking this particular wax was going to need, and to compare it to The Candle Sources tart wax. Obviously it needs quite a lot of tweaking to perform as well as the TCS wax, according to my criteria. Others, of course, may feel differently or have different results. 

The KY 133 is certainly not a bad wax, but if I can be frank here 😉, I don't have the patience to struggle with it when another wax will give me good results with less work. I don't mind playing and experimenting, but when it comes to producing tarts for sale, I need a reliable wax that allows me to crank out those bad boys fast!

Having said all that, I have 19 pounds of this stuff still to go through, so I guess I'd better find a little patience to make it work for now, lol!

I will try upping my 4630 as suggested and see what happens!

I also just got a few pounds of this year's 415, so I guess I'll be finding out how the new soy waxes affect tart blends too.

Yeah it sounds like that KY133 is gonna take lots of tweaking to get it to compete with the Candle Source wax. I do think 4630 is the right wax to add to it.....it's soft but not sticky. Another wax that is not sticky at all that I've had good luck in blending is 4633.  

• 2 weeks later...

I made some clams and used straight 133 and did a re-pour and the tops are much smoother, but it still doesn't pop out of the clam very easily. TCS wax pops out every time with no problem so that may have to be my clam wax. I don't like it for shapes though because it has  a bumpy surface. I wish so badly that their shipping wasn't so high! I wonder how we could get them to find a cheaper way to ship?

After trying multiple blends of all kinds of waxes, I finally got a handle on my own Frankentart wax!  I ended up using 50/50 of 4630 & 415, and added stearic acid to  harden it up, since these are both container waxes. 

It pours like a dream, no bumps or divots, and HT within 2 days is amazing for most of my FOs. 

1 hour ago, Velma said:

After trying multiple blends of all kinds of waxes, I finally got a handle on my own Frankentart wax!  I ended up using 50/50 of 4630 & 415, and added stearic acid to  harden it up, since these are both container waxes. 

It pours like a dream, no bumps or divots, and HT within 2 days is amazing for most of my FOs. 

Nice! I would worry about the stearic affecting the throw, but it sounds like that's not a problem for you. What % FO are you using?

I tried again with the KY133 last night, this time I skipped the soy and addded 30% 4630. Added FO at 180, let it cool to 140... still bumpy on top. ☹️

I'm not trying to sound like a brat (ok, I'm a brat!), but I'm not doing a second pour for tarts! The throw is just fine, so I'll use up the rest of this 133 for my personal tarts and to test fragrances, but I'm not going to re-order. 

I did discover that if you put enough glitter on the top of the tarts, the bumps look like part of the design. 😉😄

I've been ordering a lot from Flaming recently, I'm tempted to try their pillar blend. I think it's the pro blend 450? Anyone tried that?

@Belinda, I agree, the shipping for TCS is weird, it's not too expensive for me, but I'm a lot closer. I just find their website so clunky and awkward. I will say, I've tried half a dozen of their FOs, and they have all been excellent. If the pro blend from Flaming doesn't measure up, it will be the TCS wax for me, and I'll just add a few fragrances to make it worth it!

• Like 1

I've not noticed the throw being affected at all.  I'm using 10% FO load and most scents are great. A few of the Autumn/spicy ones didn't have as great of throw as I wanted, but that is probably just the FO and that specific vendor.   And I'm with you, I'm not doing a 2nd pour on tarts!  

15 hours ago, Belinda said:

@Sarah S, if I'm not mistaken, the Pro-blend 450 from Flaming is the same as KY's 133. I've used it and can't tell any difference at all in the two.

Belinda ,Have you noticed a difference in the CS wax between orders ? My last shipment was tear shaped.I usually get shreds when ordering their tart blend.I have a huge issue with the throw when the wax is tear shaped.I only used 3 pounds of the tear shaped wax and it is sitting in a box .I was just curious if you have noticed a difference  in the wax at all ?

Just now, katmeltswax said:

Belinda ,Have you noticed a difference in the CS wax between orders ? My last shipment was tear shaped.I usually get shreds when ordering their tart blend.I have a huge issue with the throw when the wax is tear shaped.I only used 3 pounds of the tear shaped wax and it is sitting in a box .I was just curious if you have noticed a difference  in the wax at all ?

I use CW 129 also and wait for the shipping discounts to post .I also use your 4630 & 4625 blend with certain oils to get a better throw .Some scents just perform better in different. waxes imo . I have used TCS wax in the past ,until I received the last box ,it was tear shaped. I know it is not the same as the shredded wax  ,have tested and throw is terrible .I am thinking about adding another wax to this batch & try to salvage the 7 lbs. I have left .I think I received this wax in error ,very confused on this one ugh .

1 hour ago, katmeltswax said:

I actually would like to know this as well.  I have only tested about a handful of oils in it and it performed VERY well, but once I got down to the bottom of the batch, I had particles or some type of additive that did not melt in my presto and it even transferred into my finished product (photos attached).  I love their oils and the tart wax I tried (aside from the last amount that had the unmelted pieces in it), but I tell ya I will not be trying more of it if it is this inconsistent.  It almost makes me feel like they just switch the wax, maybe even bounce around with suppliers whenever it is convenient since its a propriety blend.  I emailed the owner on my issue of the particles and they stated "we dont know what it is and will check with our supplier".  I emailed again later on asking for updates and got no response.  Does anyone know what it could be?    

20171020_222344.jpg

20171020_223843.jpg

1 minute ago, lovelyscents said:

I actually would like to know this as well.  I have only tested about a handful of oils in it and it performed VERY well, but once I got down to the bottom of the batch, I had particles or some type of additive that did not melt in my presto and it even transferred into my finished product (photos attached).  I love their oils and the tart wax I tried (aside from the last amount that had the unmelted pieces in it), but I tell ya I will not be trying more of it if it is this inconsistent.  It almost makes me feel like they just switch the wax, maybe even bounce around with suppliers whenever it is convenient since its a propriety blend.  I emailed the owner on my issue of the particles and they stated "we dont know what it is and will check with our supplier".  I emailed again later on asking for updates and got no response.  Does anyone know what it could be?    

20171020_222344.jpg

20171020_223843.jpg

Did you receive tear drops or shreds ?I know the waxes have to be different ,have tested both .I cannot good results with the tear shaped wax .I feel like I wasted my money on 10 lbs including the shipping cost .Think your right CS has to have 2 separate suppliers going on .I am scared to order again ,due to the fact it may not be the shredded wax that works so well. It's expensive to take such a gamble .I will melt some of the tear shape wax  down today & see if I have particles in the bottom. It is a shame the tart wax varies from each shipment . I am thinking the same as you ,not going to order again ,to risky .There are to many other waxes on the market that are dependable .

1 minute ago, lovelyscents said:

This is what I received...

TCS.jpg

Yes this is identical to my last shipment ,nothing like the shreds I used to get .I know this wax is totally different .This wax has issues and does not perform the same as the shreds .I do love many of their oils and have had good luck with most ,only a few duds. Such a bummer the wax is so inconsistent ,love the shreds ,but this tear shape wax is useless for me .I hope I can doctor it up with something and use the remaining 7 or so lbs I have left .To scared to order any more  in the future ,never had this issue with TCS in the past darn it 😣

2 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Yes this is identical to my last shipment ,nothing like the shreds I used to get .I know this wax is totally different .This wax has issues and does not perform the same as the shreds .I do love many of their oils and have had good luck with most ,only a few duds. Such a bummer the wax is so inconsistent ,love the shreds ,but this tear shape wax is useless for me .I hope I can doctor it up with something and use the remaining 7 or so lbs I have left .To scared to order any more  in the future ,never had this issue with TCS in the past darn it 😣

25 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Did you receive tear drops or shreds ?I know the waxes have to be different ,have tested both .I cannot good results with the tear shaped wax .I feel like I wasted my money on 10 lbs including the shipping cost .Think your right CS has to have 2 separate suppliers going on .I am scared to order again ,due to the fact it may not be the shredded wax that works so well. It's expensive to take such a gamble .I will melt some of the tear shape wax  down today & see if I have particles in the bottom. It is a shame the tart wax varies from each shipment . I am thinking the same as you ,not going to order again ,to risky .There are to many other waxes on the market that are dependable .

Would love to know what the particles could possibly be in the bottom of your pot .I will melt mine and take a look as well .

13 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Did you receive tear drops or shreds ?I know the waxes have to be different ,have tested both .I cannot good results with the tear shaped wax .I feel like I wasted my money on 10 lbs including the shipping cost .Think your right CS has to have 2 separate suppliers going on .I am scared to order again ,due to the fact it may not be the shredded wax that works so well.

You know, I understand suppliers that want to keep a hush on their "propriety blends" and manufacturers and that's ok.  However, I honestly though just feel like it hurts them in the end to keep things so secretive.  For example like me, since I have no idea if I am getting the same wax each time or where it is even coming from in the first place, I think I will pass.  If I knew I could get it from other places as well, I would be more open to it for the comfort in knowing that I could still get it if they close shop.  This is most likely why certain waxes are more commonly used and the manufacturers plus suppliers that sell the waxes to us are more successful longterm.  For example: waxes such as 4625, 4630, 4786, 6006 are highly used because we all know the manufacturer is IGI.  The KY waxes we know are from CJ Robinson and even waxes like 3022 are from Clarus.  There is no secret in this but they are still thriving from us, so no reason really that things have to be that locked down.  Candle Source site doesnt even state what the wax is.  Yes we all know its a "paraffin blend" from inquiring directly and from one another, but how do I truly know what else I am melting and breathing in.  I know all waxes arent good to breathe, but perhaps there are definitely worse ones out there depending on the additives....   

13 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

It's expensive to take such a gamble .I will melt some of the tear shape wax  down today & see if I have particles in the bottom. It is a shame the tart wax varies from each shipment . I am thinking the same as you ,not going to order again ,to risky .There are to many other waxes on the market that are dependable .

I agree with you with the expense, I am still testing over a year and not 110% settled on a wax blend yet.  I just dont want to make this my main wax after all of this time and money, to have to expect such huge variations in products.  Also agree with you on other waxes being more dependable and more readily available to go through this constantly.

4 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

See it performed very well for me, but again I only tested about 5 oils in it and they were all strong oils so maybe that's why I was thinking it was good.  

2 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Would love to know what the particles could possibly be in the bottom of your pot .I will melt mine and take a look as well .

I was hell bent on knowing for awhile too because I THOUGHT it was the miracle wax, even now that I am most likely going to pass on reordering, it still baffles me on what it could be.  I know for sure this batch was the bottom of the bag, so whatever "crumbs" that settled in the bag, just doesnt melt in wax.

Just now, lovelyscents said:

I was hell bent on knowing for awhile too because I THOUGHT it was the miracle wax, even now that I am most likely going to pass on reordering, it still baffles me on what it could be.  I know for sure this batch was the bottom of the bag, so whatever "crumbs" that settled in the bag, just doesnt melt in wax.

I will Google and see what what I can learn about the particles in the bottom .Lol I Google everything if I need info on almost any subject ,worth a try .You are so right ,no telling what we may be breathing in .I use CW 129 alone for many scents.I also use 4630 & 4625 blend ,never had issues with any if these . I know thru testing some scents just perform better in different type waxes .This is the reason I use different blends .It takes time and testing ,but worth the effort .I also have some 4786 ,think that's the one ,want to experiment with this one as well.Possibly add a lil this a lil that ,see if I can get a good melt from this wax .

4 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

You know, I understand suppliers that want to keep a hush on their "propriety blends" and manufacturers and that's ok.  However, I honestly though just feel like it hurts them in the end to keep things so secretive.  For example like me, since I have no idea if I am getting the same wax each time or where it is even coming from in the first place, I think I will pass.  If I knew I could get it from other places as well, I would be more open to it for the comfort in knowing that I could still get it if they close shop.  This is most likely why certain waxes are more commonly used and the manufacturers plus suppliers that sell the waxes to us are more successful longterm.  For example: waxes such as 4625, 4630, 4786, 6006 are highly used because we all know the manufacturer is IGI.  The KY waxes we know are from CJ Robinson and even waxes like 3022 are from Clarus.  There is no secret in this but they are still thriving from us, so no reason really that things have to be that locked down.  Candle Source site doesnt even state what the wax is.  Yes we all know its a "paraffin blend" from inquiring directly and from one another, but how do I truly know what else I am melting and breathing in.  I know all waxes arent good to breathe, but perhaps there are definitely worse ones out there depending on the additives....   

I agree with you with the expense, I am still testing over a year and not 110% settled on a wax blend yet.  I just dont want to make this my main wax after all of this time and money, to have to expect such huge variations in products.  Also agree with you on other waxes being more dependable and more readily available to go through this constantly

• Like 1

@lovelyscents and @katmeltswax, my wax came in the tear shaped nuggets. I've never gotten it in the shreds before. @Ravens posted just yesterday that she stopped using this wax because she felt like it had changed for the worse. Maybe she had been getting the shreds? I have also heard that some people have gotten it in slab form.

I agree that inconsistency batch to batch is a big issue and definitely worrisome. Why does wax have to be so complicated? I just want my house to smell good! 😭

Lovelyscents, I have no idea what those particles could be, I'm pretty clueless about additives.

As far as salvaging the rest of the wax, I think it mixes pretty well with just about everything, so maybe a container wax would improve the throw? If you have any 464, I'd try that 50/50 and give them a good long cure to see if that helps.

Good luck!

Now I'm thinking maybe I need to give the CBL129 another chance...

12 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

I will Google and see what what I can learn about the particles in the bottom .Lol I Google everything if I need info on almost any subject ,worth a try .You are so right ,no telling what we may be breathing in .I use CW 129 alone for many scents.I also use 4630 & 4625 blend ,never had issues with any if these . I know thru testing some scents just perform better in different type waxes .This is the reason I use different blends .It takes time and testing ,but worth the effort .I also have some 4786 ,think that's the one ,want to experiment with this one as well.Possibly add a lil this a lil that ,see if I can get a good melt from this wax .

Yes, oils play the largest part in my honest opinion, with wax being next.  Some do perform better in different blends, but in order to be consistent if selling in the future and not being like TCS from batch to batch, vendors settle on the same wax blend for all of their oils they offer.