New ornaments and pendant scent diffusers

TallTayl

Here's what I put together for a local social club event held last week. All are made from bisque fired white stoneware clay. They remain porous to soak up scent to slowly diffuse.

IMG_1138.JPG

The clay is wedged, rolled, compressed, stamped, cut out, then dried. Once dry, all edges are wet sanded with a fine sponge.

Then off the first firing - a slow bisque to cone 04, or a little over 1900*F which took about 24 hours to fully heat and cool. Once cool I hand stained each one-by-one, then bisque fired again quickly this time, which took a little over 12 hours.

some I just stained with red iron oxide (just like what is used in soap). Others I layered with some low fire matte turquoise glaze to provide a patina. 

Here is a snap showing the glazing steps from freshly fired blank to fully glazed.

DB084693-A168-441A-A01C-D9DF712DDC72.JPG

First is the "blank". The second is the underglaze black used to fill in the recessed regions. Once dry, the black is wiped mostly off by the third step. The 4 th step is the application of the iron oxide. 5th is much of the excess iron oxide removed. The last is the glaze applied to some, but not all. 

6CB7E176-8100-48E4-9BDF-E0AF51883D8B.JPG

09386F1B-088C-4A65-9C4D-7BD995161225.JPG

The image is the club's logo turned into an unmounted rubber stamp at rubber stamps.net. I had several sizes made so we have the flexibility of just the head for pendants, a middle size for adding a logo onto mugs, plates, etc. and the large one for ornaments. 

The ornaments were packaged in a muslin bag stamped with the club logo. A little perfume vial of "Pine Ridge" essential oil blend was included, along with a description card. The back of the card thanked the guests for all they provide throughout the year. 

IMG_1136.JPG

These are some of me of my favorite things to make. When I began rebranding I made a bunch of these in small pendant form to include with retail orders. You can use just about anything to create textures. During the holidays I use fondant stamp presses to make gingerbread men, snowflakes, mittens, etc. 

• Like 6

Thanks for the kind words. 🤗

The topic will lead lead into a discussion I'd like to have with the forum members in the near future: Branding.

this social club the ornaments were made for relies on over 250 families in the area to remain viable. Without remaining in the minds of the "customers" and stakeholders it will dissappear forever. We are always thing of ways to keep a personal touch, which was a foundation stone of the club at its inception 54 years ago.

our own businesses need the same attention or we become lost in a sea of competitors. I read a statistic once that a person needs to see your brand logo at least 7 times before they remember it. How do you remain in the front of their minds, let alone committed to memory?

30 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Thanks for the kind words. 🤗

The topic will lead lead into a discussion I'd like to have with the forum members in the near future: Branding.

this social club the ornaments were made for relies on over 250 families in the area to remain viable. Without remaining in the minds of the "customers" and stakeholders it will dissappear forever. We are always thing of ways to keep a personal touch, which was a foundation stone of the club at its inception 54 years ago.

our own businesses need the same attention or we become lost in a sea of competitors. I read a statistic once that a person needs to see your brand logo at least 7 times before they remember it. How do you remain in the front of their minds, let alone committed to memory?

For me - I try to stay connected via social media. I just barely launched my business, so I'm using those platforms, which are free, for the majority of my marketing/branding. I think if you let people get to know you, and what your brand stands for - beyond just the product you make, they start to love you and not just the products. Then if you need to pivot or expand in the future, your customer base is loyal because they know you and feel connected to you. 

At least - that's what I'm trying :)  

What a great idea - those are perfect!  

How long does the scent last on the pendant and does it irritate your skin at all when wearing it?

In your opinion could a larger pendant be used as an air freshener in a car?

You are one "Jane of all Trades"   :thumbsup2: