Candle Scent Mixing recipes ideas? Help!!!

CyanideNoodles

I want to try mixing scents to make candles for myself and for friends. Anyone have any recipes they've made that turned out great? I'm looking to try everything! Please give me your best recipes! I plan on trying my first mix soon as I have wax ordered. I have done it once with vanilla,the wax I used was beeswax (has its own lil natural scent) caramel and cinnamon and it turned out pretty good. I think I did vanilla be the strongest in it, than caramel and last but not least, cinnamon. It came out smelling like a vanilla chai tea latte, everyone was obsessed with it lol.

21 minutes ago, Candybee said:

check out JC's sticky at the top of this forum on blending scents

I'm looking for recipes people have done, not on what scents typically work together. I'm hoping we can all share recipes we've done because I would like to try something thats already been done.  Thanks tho :D

15 hours ago, CyanideNoodles said:

I'm looking for recipes people have done, not on what scents typically work together. I'm hoping we can all share recipes we've done because I would like to try something thats already been done.  Thanks tho :D

Most recipes are going to be proprietary and people are not going to just give out their hard earned work. They will give you guidance such as what Candybee did, but to outright give you their recipes would be a hard sell on your part. 

As with everything in this business it all comes down to testing, doing your own research and work. 

There are not many scents I use that are not a blend of my own creation. What I do is either look at the chart, see what type of scent I want go based on it's known predictions. OR I just go down to my fragrance cabinet, close my eyes and grab 3-4 scents off the shelf and just start mixing. Sometimes I get awesome "must have" combinations that I will use many times, other times it's good enough for a one time use, and yet others as soon as I mix I think to myself "what have I done" and throw it out. LOL 

• Like 1

It really depends on the kind of scents you like.

For instance one that I personally love is pure fragrance oils Pop's pipe and sweet cakes wood smoke. 

Patchouli essential oil with frankincense olibanum and Ethiopian myrrh 1:2:1. 

Mac apple with nutmeg and cinnamon 2:1:1. 

Dang if this wasn't a post once upon a time on this forum, but I think it was back at the last crash before Vicky (God rest her soul) took over as admin. 

However as long as this link stays alive, try it:
https://candletech.com/candle-making/tips-and-tricks/scent-mixing-ideas/

There are more ideas on it than there ever were on ones that were around here. Looks like someone took some of the suggestions that were around here and added on. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Most recipes are going to be proprietary and people are not going to just give out their hard earned work. They will give you guidance such as what Candybee did, but to outright give you their recipes would be a hard sell on your part. 

As with everything in this business it all comes down to testing, doing your own research and work. 

There are not many scents I use that are not a blend of my own creation. What I do is either look at the chart, see what type of scent I want go based on it's known predictions. OR I just go down to my fragrance cabinet, close my eyes and grab 3-4 scents off the shelf and just start mixing. Sometimes I get awesome "must have" combinations that I will use many times, other times it's good enough for a one time use, and yet others as soon as I mix I think to myself "what have I done" and throw it out. LOL 

more so doing this for fun not to make money

If you like sweet, foody scents, some of my fave " mixers " that go good with almost anything are CC Vanilla Voodoo, TCS Pink Sugar, JS Vanilla Sugar Waffle Cone, Daystar Marshmallow fluff, & WSP Cake Batter Ice Cream ( which is pretty pricey but very worth it ! )

One of my fave things to blend with allllll of those ^ is WSP Sweet Strawberry. I make mine as a hobby also, & to give as gifts, so I just tend to blend in little cups while the wax is melting & make any adjustments I think they need, at the time.

It's addictive blending ! Lol. Once you get started, you will get a storm of ideas that come to you at the most random times ? 

I SUPER love Pink Sugar & Vanilla Voodoo together, about 50/50 blend of the two. Also WSP has a great blackberry, I think it's Fresh Picked Blackberry ? Which is great in a blend with Pink Sugar & Vanilla Voodoo. All about an equal third of each.

Edited by WaxingPoetic