Zinc Wicks

pcbrook

I am using zinc wicks with Penecro gel from Aztec.  It is called CC (Overpour) specially made for pouring over embeds.  

But anyway.....I hate the mushrooms.  They are huge. And then when you try to trim it the mushroom falls down and sticks to the gel.  I am using a 60-44-18Z in a 3 inch 1/2 pint square mason.  I have tried using a size smaller and it just seems too small.  

I have read and read the posts on here.  Some said to try the LX wicks. 

Any suggestions?

You can substitute with HTP-104, just make sure to buy raw wick and not pre-waxed. 

With it being unprimed, I usually dip in gel to prime it. 

You didn't mention which density gel you're using ... I've tested these only in medium and heavy.

(I haven't shopped for it in years since I have quite a bit of it.)

The density seems like medium but I do not really have anything to compare to because it is the first time I bought gel.  

This is the description on Aztec's site.  Maybe I should have started with regular medium density:

"CC was designed to have a low melt point of around 135-160 Degrees for pouring at lower temperatures of items such as wax embeds to prevent melting. Has the density of that of the Medium gel."

This is the link:

http://www.candlemaking.com/cc-overpour-penreco-gel-candle-wax.html

Why is it better to use unprimed?

That's interesting ... they've come out with a gel for pouring over wax embeds that has a lower pouring temperature.  I'm sure that makes things easier; I've poured over high meltpoint wax embeds before, but even with that, had to dip them first and still be very careful.  I might try this new gel sometime!  I didn't realize that was available and wasn't sure what you were describing.  Since it has a lower temperature, it may be similar to the low density, not sure.  The reason I mentioned which densities I've used them in has to do with the fact that the HTP will stand up okay in those gels, but I'm not sure about a lighter density.  In other words, a zinc wick with a metal core doesn't have that issue to consider.

My experience from when I first started making gel candles was that I had to switch to raw wick as the wax on the pre-waxed wicks would start to melt and leave little streamers throughout the candle.  But, with the new Overpour gel you're using, maybe that wouldn't be the case ... you could try and see, it sure would be easier!