Which Premier Wick for GB 464

I am new to this forum and am planning to try different wicks for my 4" diameter container candle using GB 464 & 8% FO. I have been getting soot with the CD series. I haven't tried the Premier wick. Can anyone suggest which sizes to try which will give minimum soot etc.? It is possible that this was already discussed but I can't seem to find it.

Edited by kitchenpups

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

464 is easier to burn than C3. 

what cd wicks have you tried with that container? And which fo's?  Some fragrances require different sizes in the same jar/wax.

I have tried CD 14 & 16, also HTP 1212.  I have use some FO from Candle Science like very vanilla also Natures Garden, Lavender Luxury & Fresh Linen.

6 hours ago, njcurley said:

For my 3.75" diameter jars I use a 777 and it is absolutely perfect, but I do not use 464, I use C3.  If I were you I would test a 767, 777 and 790.

Thanks, I will try those. I use the square 3" jars but the diameter from corner to corner is 4".

45 minutes ago, kitchenpups said:

Thanks, I will try those. I use the square 3" jars but the diameter from corner to corner is 4".

In light of TT's comment I would try the 767 and 777 first.  If those aren't big enough you can always move up.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you posted a picture KPups....

I have used those jars quite a bit...

Ok with 464 that I use......1 cd16 works very nicely

Now with 2 wicks I'd be inclined to go with 2 cd 5....reason being is that there are no shoulders on that jar for the heat to get trapped in them and produce heat.

Also when you put 2 wicks in.....put them in diagonally - not across....I learned that from someone on the board here....can't remember.  I'm thinking it was Tall Tayle.

What fragrance are in those jars?  Are they all the same?

So you say a cd 16 didn't work?  It should work.....

Ok, so how are you testing?  Did you fully do a test to the end of the jar?

I will tell you that square jars are a bit harder to wick and first off how long did you let 464 cure?  I do mine at 2 weeks as it REALLY does make a BIG difference...

The first couple of testings you do, that jar IS going to struggle to get the wax to melt into the corners, but it WILL eventually melt the further down the wax melts.  You have to have patience but it will work.  So how are you doing your tests?

Please keep us informed how it works for you.

Trappeur

Well first off, I have Natures Garden Lavender Luxury in all of the jars (8%).  I have only been curing for 2 days. I had no idea about the 2 weeks so thank you for that. I let them all burn simultaneously for 4 hours, take pictures, extinguish them and let them sit for at least 5 hours before trimming the wick and relighting them for another 4 hours etc. In addition to wanting the corners to ultimately melt, I want to make sure I chose a wick which will give the least amount of soot over time. Neither on the sides of the jars nor on the ceilings and walls. I just noticed that I misspoke earlier. I have been using ECO 16 not CD 16 so when I receive my CD series sample set, I will include the CD 16.

After I get it right for Lavender, I will test with a christmas tree pine scent.

Oh yes definitely for 464 you need to definitely cure those candles without a doubt..........It makes a huge difference in how that wick performs in the wax as the wax will be good and hard and the fragrance will be infused very nicely into it.  Thats one of the things with this candle business.....and having to learn patience.  You just can't rush.....I would say you could start testing after a 10 day cure...I've done that.  If you don't let that wax cure with the oil in it, that could very well be a reason why you have no good scent throw without a doubt.  Also keep in mind if you dont get a throw on a fragrance, it could just mean that that fragrance from that company just doesn't work......so you move on and go and find that same fragrance from another company.....that's why they make the little samples so we all can test.  Just remember if you get fairly close to the edge of the jar with a melt pool that is good.  The additional burn tests will melt the corners eventually.   Your doing great so far.....Just patience......unfortunately.  We all love pictures too...so keep posting them as you go along.....

Trappeur

Another thing....search and search the boards here under 464 wax and see what others are good throwers in that wax and try ordering some of the same things that others have had great happenings on.  If your going to look for pines you will see a lot on the forum here of what people like.   you have to do a lot of digging but there is tons of information you can gain and learn here.

For example for pines these are what are excellent throwers for me in pine.......and that is with 464 with a 10 day at least cure.

I find pine scents to be very easy to cure at a faster time period.  You might try lighting one after 7 days and if there is no throw to satisfaction.....well no problem....let it sit for more time....

Fillmore:   Christmas Treee (that is a balsam fir and quite beautiful and you will see most everyone loves this scent)

Candle Science:    Blue Spruce and also Frasier Fir - super throwers

Community Candle:  Christmas Tree

Trappeur

Everyone has their own way of producing candles....what works for this person might not work for the other person even if using the same wax/wicks.  My way is what works for me and all I can do just like everyone else is put up how they create their own candles.  My way is not necessarily the right or only way of doing things and some others may or may not disagree with me.  So take each post and weigh it and take all the info from everyone and develop your own system, but at least for the ones who have been at this for a long time, you certainly have great advice!

Trappeur

• Like 1