Fun game - maybe? (read on)

Jcandleattic

So, if I were to say to you "Dante's Inferno" giving away nothing else, what would be the first thing that comes to mind as far as scent, color, product? 

I want to make something named that and I have a vague idea of what I want to do, but thought it would be fun to see what everyone's imagination conjures up... 

AND GO!  - :) (haha TT)

Let's see here...How about an eternally dimmed desecrated abyss filled by smoldering oranges, rusts, fetid browns, putrid ochers, charred sienna, umber, and bilious greenish-yellow-grays. A soul ending silence that stills even the inanimate stones from their inexorable march through time evokes malice, unrest, and absolute despair amidst a dense atmosphere thick with sulfurous acrid sooty fumes, swampy miasma, sewage, and biting flies... Here souls are vanquished from the very hope and sight of God, but they SWEAR they're gonna start building a new facility for us soon... I'll believe it when I see it. 

• 6 months later...

HAHA I forgot about this post and never did do what I was going to do, so I put it on the list. 

I think I'm going to make a pitch black soap with a blood red swirl, scented with a mix of Dragon's Blood and Smoke n' Mirrors (it's a lot like Cracklin' Birch) - and call it Dante's Inferno. :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

PS:   Who is Dante?

I believe, but am not 100% sure about this, as I've never read the book, seen the play, or anything, but I think, Dante represents the Devil, and the Inferno are the 7 levels of Hell. 

FB has a fragrance called Hellstone: http://www.fragrancebuddy.com/CUMIN-BATH-COMPARE-TO-HELLSTONE-FRAGRANCE.aspx

Well, its actually called cumin bath but its a dupe of Lush' Hellstone. It may sound weird but do you remember MW's autumn embers, a smoky spice campfire type scent, it was totally awesome in CP soap. don't know why but some FOs you'd never think work in CP are perfect for it. Could be worth a sample test just to see.

Edited by Candybee

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

FB has a fragrance called Hellstone: http://www.fragrancebuddy.com/CUMIN-BATH-COMPARE-TO-HELLSTONE-FRAGRANCE.aspx

Well, its actually called cumin bath but its a dupe of Lush' Hellstone. It may sound weird but do you remember MW's autumn embers, a smoky spice campfire type scent, it was totally awesome in CP soap. don't know why but some FOs you'd never think work in CP are perfect for it. Could be worth a sample test just to see.

I appreciate the suggestion, however, I need to try get rid of some of these fragrances I already have, which is why I love blending so much. 

I usually have an idea of what it 'could' smell like, and I just think these 2 scents together would be a good combo. 

I agree, some scents you'd never think would work together end up being the best. 

5 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

HAHA I forgot about this post and never did do what I was going to do, so I put it on the list. 

I think I'm going to make a pitch black soap with a blood red swirl, scented with a mix of Dragon's Blood and Smoke n' Mirrors (it's a lot like Cracklin' Birch) - and call it Dante's Inferno. :) 

That sounds nice!

definitely needs a bit of smoke. A little earthy might be neat, like a patchouli. Someone brought me a sample of dragons blood and cinnamon. It was surprisingly good. 

That sounds amazing! The Smoke & Mirrors would definitely add some great depth to the DB! I love DB personally, but it can be a little too sweet sometimes. @TallTayl, that sounds like a fantastic blend too! I mixed my DB with Flaming's Chai and I love the way that smells!

The design sounds cool too, JC, are you going to use charcoal for the black?

9 hours ago, Sarah S said:

That sounds amazing! The Smoke & Mirrors would definitely add some great depth to the DB! I love DB personally, but it can be a little too sweet sometimes. @TallTayl, that sounds like a fantastic blend too! I mixed my DB with Flaming's Chai and I love the way that smells!

The design sounds cool too, JC, are you going to use charcoal for the black?

I use charcoal mixed with a little bit of black oxide to get a jet black. That way the charcoal doesn't grey on me, and the oxide doesn't stain wash clothes. 

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That sounds nice!

definitely needs a bit of smoke. A little earthy might be neat, like a patchouli. Someone brought me a sample of dragons blood and cinnamon. It was surprisingly good. 

I've mixed DB with mint and that is really good too. Also DB with a creamy vanilla is nice. Oh and for my galaxy soap I did last year, I mixed DB with Moonlight Path and that was good. 

Honestly I think DB can pair with just about anything and be good. (there are exceptions of course!) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shari said:

That sounds really good.  I make my dragon's blood black with a red swirl.   It certainly draw attention.

I've never made it with black or red. I've done pink in soap, and my galaxy soap was black blue and purple(ish) and I've done purple in candles. This will be an adventure and I can't wait to put it into play. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Do you think DB would mix well with Witches Brew? Am looking for a good mixer to enhance WB. I can't use it full strength in soap so I need to mix it with something to keep it at a body safe % yet strong enough to hold up in CP.

What does witches brew smell like? 

If I remember right it's like a woodsy apple scent? (or am I totally off? I've never used it so no idea) 

Give me some notes, and I'll use my imagination to see if it would pair well. :) 

If it is as I described above I believe it would go well. However, just keep in mind I have hated every DB I've ever tried until I tried Mad Oils/Mad Micas DB - and I think that's because it's got that sweet powdery scent to it that most people hate about it.  -  the soap I sent you was with the MO/MM DB if you can remember it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I remember the soap. Loved it and the scent!

Witches Brew is a dark patchouli mixed with cinnamon spice and cedar. It's strong, and earthy. I get mine from C&S http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/16-oz-Witchs-Brew-Scent?sc=13&category=322196

I forgot about their Zombie Punch. That might be a good mixer too.... if its body safe. Need to check.

Zombie Punch IS soap/body safe. I've used it in soap. Fades on the surface but comes alive in the shower/bath. LOVE that scent. 

I would say both Witches Brew and Zombie Punch would pair well with DB. 

• Like 1